I have an idea but i don't think the players will like it.

Two_Stubz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to make my game a bit more realistic than other games
and i had the idea that if you use a dirty bandage, there's a 1 in 3 chance that you'll get tetanus.
If you don't go to a doctor and get it checked you'll die from it.
but i'm not sure the player would like it.
what do you guys think?1585399028905.png

Attachments

Last edited:

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as long as overall of your game fun and interesting …and complete
it will be just a little thing to complaining

JojoLaVache

Easily distracted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this could work, but ONLY if the player has prior knowledge about looking at trash cans having a chance to give your character a negative status ailment. A Yes/No choice prior to the application of the random variable can do the job.
I also think of giving the player a reason to look at trash cans, e.g. finding a poison to throw at enemies.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
33% chance seems a bit high. unless can cure tetanus anywhere using penicillin.
(which case can now use rusty nail traps instead of just plain old damage floor traps)

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
if you want to make it fair, register the acquisition of the disease, and count that against the chance for getting the same infection again, a second time.

if a character gets it at 33% chance and survives it, the next chance should be 25%, then 20%, and approaching 0.
if 33 should be your floor, start at 50 or 60, and approach 33.

LostFonDrive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You'd have to be careful about making it not too annoying to deal with but it could maybe work. Closest example I can think of in a real game is food poisoning in Metal Gear Solid 3 - if you kill an animal and store it in your backpack for too long it will get spoilt/rotten. Then when you eat that food to restore stamina, there is a certain chance that it will give you food poisoning.

But there were many ways to deal with it. Firstly you could capture live animals that don't spoil, or you could simply throw spoilt food away and catch something new, or you could cure food poisoning with medicine that was easy to get.

Two_Stubz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
33% chance seems a bit high. unless can cure tetanus anywhere using penicillin.
(which case can now use rusty nail traps instead of just plain old damage floor traps)
yeah you can cure it if you get to a doctor.
but penicillin is a better idea, or maybe you can combine them.
so that you instantly use the penicillin along with the dirty bandage.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Game Mechanics Design. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to pop in here real quick, yeah I think this is actually a mechanic in survival-type games! It really helps if you can "craft" the item into a clean bandage, and medicine is an optional consumable you can carry.

If this is the kind of thing you find throughout the game, specifically to be used in a pinch then it does add a level of risk that can keep it interesting! But if overused (as in it is regularly used way more often due to not enough combining items/regular bandages) it can be a bit annoying. Imagine getting tetanus 3 times in a row during a dungeon/day because you can't find regular bandages. :kaodes:

On a side note, people generally find a 75%ish chance of success to be a "fair" rng for stuff that should fail, but say you could have it be higher/lower on different difficulties if you have those!

Two_Stubz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to pop in here real quick, yeah I think this is actually a mechanic in survival-type games! It really helps if you can "craft" the item into a clean bandage, and medicine is an optional consumable you can carry.

If this is the kind of thing you find throughout the game, specifically to be used in a pinch then it does add a level of risk that can keep it interesting! But if overused (as in it is regularly used way more often due to not enough combining items/regular bandages) it can be a bit annoying. Imagine getting tetanus 3 times in a row during a dungeon/day because you can't find regular bandages. :kaodes:

On a side note, people generally find a 75%ish chance of success to be a "fair" rng for stuff that should fail, but say you could have it be higher/lower on different difficulties if you have those!
i'm thinking of maybe being able to become immune for maybe a few days, months or a year.

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To me it'd be tedium and irritation.

If regular bandages are 1/3 then its 1/3 to annoy me.

If I can "clean" the bandages then it becomes a microquest type thing. Risk it or be sure..

But when would i risk it? When things are already bad. So im dying..i try to prevent dying and it kills me. Good oportunity to ragequit.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would suggest some of what others have said, like provide the opportunity to disinfect the bandage, and make the cures available. I would also suggest instead of using variables in the event of using the dirty bandage, to use the item to apply the state by a percentage chance. I'm not 100% that if a character has a resistance to a state it will still work when applying the state this way (if so then ignore this LOL). This way the character may be able to build up a resistance to infection through some means, and the stronger the character becomes in-game the less likely they are to get this infection when using a dirty bandage.

Two_Stubz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To me it'd be tedium and irritation.

If regular bandages are 1/3 then its 1/3 to annoy me.

If I can "clean" the bandages then it becomes a microquest type thing. Risk it or be sure..

But when would i risk it? When things are already bad. So im dying..i try to prevent dying and it kills me. Good oportunity to ragequit.
It's only ditt bandages that'll give you tetanud.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it depends on the type of game you're trying to make. Some early RPGs would do horrible things like, when trying to resurrect a dead party member, there's a chance they'll turn into ash, which is even worse. To be fair though, these games also allowed you to create/remove characters so you could just replace your ashed character with a new one.

I was always fine with the ash mechanic because I expected punishing things like that going into it. But if that happened in a game like Final Fantasy 6, I'd be pretty pissed.

So yeah, if that "hardcore" image is what you're trying to put forth with your game, then go for it. Otherwise, that idea should probably be scrapped.

Former_Sky

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wince whenever designers try to implement something just because it will be more realistic, simply because real life isn't a good model for fun. Getting diseases just by using items doesn't sound like a good idea to me, because the only time I'd use them is when there's a doctor nearby (ruining the point) or when I'm nearly dead (kicking me while I'm down). Some people have talked about sterilizing the bandage before using it but I don't like that idea much either since you're just using an item to fix another item. I'd just rather use a clean bandage and forget about this dirty bandage nonsense.

If I had any say, I would have the dirty bandage heal less. Wouldn't be as interesting sure, but I would actually use the item as intended.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
I've been experimenting with similar concepts in my Fear & Hunger games. I've gone even further with my BS in that the characters can get infected cuts from most of the enemy attacks. Those infected cuts require care pretty fast or the character dies in relatively short amount of time. To make it worse, the healing items are very limited and sometimes players need to resort to amputation which leads to permanent limb losses. Many like this kind of BS, but from my experience I'd say even more dislike it. So it's your call really. Want to make a niche hardcore game or be nicer overall experience?

CuddleFox

Furry
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The fun of a game must always come before its realism.

If your whole game is already realistic and the player is not even aware that his character could have had the thetanus, it's better not to give the possibility to have it.

But if having the thetanus opens to other situations that can be interesting in game design, do it.
But it's better not to let this possibility if it doesn't bring anything.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about tetanus being a very weak poison like status effect. So if you get it the bandage still heals you, but you have a minor, inconsequential hp drain? That way you get the realism boost you want but the player isn't too put out and still got the healing they needed. If the bandage healed 100hp they aren't gonna miss 2hp per turn for 10 turns, for example.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You worry that players won't like this feature. You are correct. Players will not like this feature. You should never, ever, ever do something like this to your player unless you are trying to troll them.

Some ideas have been brought up that I think would be good replacements:
1) Dirty bandage simply heals less than Clean bandage does (no malus effect)
2) Tetanus is just a weak poison-like effect that can be cured over time

Here are a couple more you could try:
3) Instead of Tetanus, the Dirty bandage has a 1/3 chance to cause the normal Poison status effect in your game (players will know what it does, and can cure it like any other Poison, making it less of an inconvenience)
4) Dirty bandage has a 1/3 chance to KO the character immediately ("died from Tetanus"), allowing the player to revive them like any other KO (this is similar to the Violence Pill healing item from Star Ocean 2 - "It evokes either a heaven or a hell.")

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Depends on what your game is trying to be. If you are focusing on realism, then understand that limits your audience. This is not necessarily bad, because it keeps away the people who will only complain, and don't understand that the game is supposed to be like this.
That being said, there is a fine line between hard and unfair. 33% is very high, I would make it like 5% if you still want to keep it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some pixel art! Feel free to drop by!

Can't believe I forgot to put an image of my drawing pad! It looks kinda like this, maybe I'll get a better pic tomorrow...
Backup tip: If you don't want to back up your whole project every day, at least back up everything *except* your Image and Audio folders, which you can do weekly/as needed/etc.
The final version of our game is already available both in English and Spanish! ^___^
Can't believe this day has finally come... T_T
Im so happy that Dead By Daylight is getting a Silent Hill chapter! Cant wait to play as pyramid head

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tauron7