I have made 'big' character sprites, but I don't know how to do the maps.

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Hey there, I am a 100% sure that I have placed this topic in the wrong forum. But I wanted to make my game a bit special, so I decided to make the character sprites a bit bigger, but yet again the world it self is tiny for the character. I have 0 clue how to approach this, what do you suggest?

Thank you for reading this and I hope you have a good day!

screen-22.39.35[16.09.2016].png

Last edited by a moderator:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My suggestion would be to just make bigger maps. If you're talking about the objects on the map, however, you'll need to make them bigger or have someone else do it for you. 

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
I thought so too my self, but the question I am wonder for is, let's say I made the furniture bigger then what?  Dont the tilesets only take a limited size? Or do I parralax map?

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't really know how tilesets work in MV, so I don't really know if it's a limited size, but if you decide to edit it and play around, make sure you change the file name when you save. If there is a size limit, then, yeah, you may have to work in parallax mapping. 

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Thank you i will try that in the morning

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How big did you make the sprites? And are you using the default MV tiles?

You can resize the tiles, but yes, each would take up more room on the tilesheet. You'd also need to be careful that they still fit into the grid for the sake of moving around the map (collision).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can check the high fantasy or medieval packs from the shop as example, they also use a larger scale - and it means that you have to get creative with your tilesets, because the larger map object use up more tiles

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made this mistake where I doubled my sprites and they looked so big compared to everthing so I doubled the tileset... know what happened? The sprites were to small again... So it is a careful balance that you have to maintain.

IamGilgamesh

Game Developer - Rapper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you accomplish it, you're just gonna have your original sizes, but zoomed in with less area visible on screen.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We have a forum dedicated to questions about the creation and use of resources, so...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
I made this mistake where I doubled my sprites and they looked so big compared to everthing so I doubled the tileset... know what happened? The sprites were to small again... So it is a careful balance that you have to maintain.
That doesn't sound great if you ask me, :l. So what I basically have to do is remake the tilesets but with real care? right?

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
I see, thank you all for helping me out! I will try to do something and I will right the results as an edited version over here. Also my sprite is either 2 or 3 times taller than the default ones.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@XTheRedZombieX Yeah. Basically you can't just double / triple the size of everything otherwise you would just have the exact same proportions as if you have left them original sized.

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
@Arcmagik Well that is useful thank you! And what do you suggest for adjusting the sizes? Just make them bigger using photoshop or do I have to redraw them?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@XTheRedZombieX, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

You can resize tiles you using Photoshop or other means. If you do some searching there are many topics on this forum about best methods for resizing.

I would want to recommend that if, for example, you doubled the size of the sprites to increase the tiles by 1.5x (150%). However, this would likely require a lot of fiddling with the placement of the tiles to keep them in the 48 x 48 grid of MV. Probably a better recommendation would be to not double the size of the sprites but only increase them by 1.5x and use the regular sized tiles.

Otherwise I would consider as Andar recommended and look into the PV Games tiles, which are more realistically proportioned. A last option would be to use a taller sprite base (Candacis and hiddenone both have one) and create your sprites from those. However, those will take the knowledge and skill to create them.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do you have screenshot of the sprites and how they look with the current tiles?  It'd be easier to give advice if we knew exactly what you had and where you were going with it.  It also might help to know why you wanted them bigger.  If it's just to be different, you don't need bigger to be unique.

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
@Sharm I have included a screenshot, I hope it helps. And @mlogan I will try my best and do a full research on it!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You said you resized the sprite - can you do a screenshot of what it looked like before?

I think, you didn't need to resize it. It seems it was already a fairly proportionate sprite, more so than the chibi style.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I see.  Is the mixed pixel sizes an artifact from figuring out what size you wanted the sprite?  Because if you're going for a larger pixel scale on the sprite you will most certainly need your tiles to be pixel art that has the same scaling, you won't be able to use any of the raster tiles.  Otherwise you'll need to clean things up and keep the pixels to actual pixel size.  You can get away with a pixelated character on a raster background, but only if the pixels aren't blocky.

Unless the very tight camera view of the maps is part of the gameplay somehow (I could see that working well in a horror game, for example) I don't think you should be making the sprite so big.  A small view of the map could be frustrating for players and lead to them getting lost fairly quickly.

Instead of actually resizing the tiles, try resizing  and placing things inside a screencap.  Then you can get a good idea of what you actually want in a mockup before going through all the work of making it functional.

XTheRedZombieX

2AM Productions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Thank you all for your suggestions and Ideas! It helped me out a lot, although I do prefer the bigger sprites, but in any case I don't seem to be able to maintain the looks for it, it will return it to the 'chubby' sprite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:
Ami
What do you think about the Wood Bridge inside of Volcano?
Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdramose