I have question about some legal stuff.

Shenic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know where to ask this, so I'll ask it here, sorry if it's the wrong place. If a project is made with the ILLEGAL version of RPG Maker and then compiled into a game with the LEGAL verson of that same engine, is the that game legal or not?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes.  As long as you own the legal version and aren't getting a friend to do it for you.

Now it's my turn ... why are you asking?  Do you have an illegal version of RPG Maker?  Do you have a legal version?  Can you please send me proof of purchase so I don't have to ban you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shenic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't have any version, legal or illegal. It was just a question that ran into my mind because I had the Demo version of MV, where I started my project, but it expired some months ago, so I'm planning to buy it. My concern was if I had to start from zero, I'm glad I don't.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
I should think an expired trial version is not illegal... it just means your poor project is sitting in some corner of your hard drive, neglected and alone... but it will be waiting when you have the full version.

Shenic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Really? I think it's illegal to distribute games made with the Trial version, since they lack a licence, right? So it's kinda half-illegal.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making a game in the trial version is not illegal, though you would not be able to sell that game unless you purchased the full version.  And I have a feeling you're right about not being able to distribute the game even for free.  But there is a big difference between using the trial version and using an illegal version (ie - hacked/pirated).

There was a sale just a week or two ago where you could have gotten MV for about 30% off.

baufian

lost gear in the grand design.
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
i would think it still as legal, since it was made with a demo, it would count as a limited licence, with the thought in the future that you may buy the full program.

Shenic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What a bummer... Shaz, do you know when will the next sale be?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, I don't, sorry.  Keep an eye out as Steam has reasonably frequent sales, and whenever there's something special happening in Japan, there's usually a corresponding sale here.  I suspect it'll be a while before we see MV in any humble bundle.  I'm not privvy to advance notice of sales.

Because it's still so new, the discounts won't be huge, but every little bit helps, right? :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Humble currently has the spring sale going, and it had several RM products there as well (check the yesterday deals, perhaps a few of them are still there).

However, sometimes they have one day at the end of the sale where everything from that sale is available again. So check humble bundle for the next few days, you might still get it at a discount.

Shenic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much, Andar! One more question and the last one. I once saw a user who had problems sending his game to Google Play Store because they said he was using unlicenced material, although he claimed here he wasn't. If that happens to me, what should I do?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That user was using the lite version of Ace, which does not have distribution rights as it is a free version for personal use only.

As long as you purchase a full version, that will not happen.

Shenic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay. Thank you everyone! This topic can be closed now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Look, I get that it's illegal, but...
It just happen we got P7 as booth number, so i draw Girls Frontline's P7 in this
Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!
zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lysenthe