I just came back after a year and my RPG Maker MV doesn't launch anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The splash screen comes up for 2 seconds and then disappears, nothing else happens.
I tried installing it through Steam.
I tried reinstalling it with and without Steam.

I'm running Windows 8.1.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds stupid, but did you try running it by pressing the play button in Steam? At some point within the last few months RPG Maker MV stopped letting me launch it any other way. I'm guessing that's because of something Steam did.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the program vanishes within second of being started, then there are only two possible causes:

1) the program file itself is damaged
2) one of your background programs removes it from RAM.

As for 1 - if your steam cache is damaged (happens randomly about one time per year) then even reinstalling will not repair it.
You need to clear steam download cache through the steam support options, and reinstall it again only after that.

As for 2 - could be anything from antivirus to a background video capture trying to automatically create a "Let's Play" for every steam-"Game" that is launched. And yes, that video capture program exists and caused some confusion a few years back.
You need to check your installed programs to find out which one removed the MV editor and then tell it that it should not do it again. For example whitelisting RMMV in your antivirus if that falsely assumed MV is a virus.

ruisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes. Go to Steam > Library > Software > Rpg Maker MV > Play

Ok, thank you for the possible solutions. It is much better than what tech support is doing right now. I'll go and try them.

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could try the ago old run as admin option. Antivirus these days are becoming more and more restrictive and automated.

ruisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, I uninstalled anti-virus and reinstalled RPGMMV and nothing.
Run as Administrator, nogo.
Allowed permissions for RPGMV.exe on all users, nogo.
I did a hard boot after every step.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I uninstalled anti-virus
I didn't suggest uninstalling the antivirus, I suggested whitelisting the editor in it. Because it is risky to be without AV.

So if it wasn't the antivirus,what other background prograns do you have installed?

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could also think back past year ANY upgrades, changes or new programs you installed which may (or may not) be interfering.

You could also try downloading someone's demo or project and try opening that and then make a new game from there. I do want to say every blue moon, my RPGM won't open from steam, but when I open the project I am working on it opens 100% of the time.

ruisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just tried to open the game on Safe Mode and nogo.
Customer service hasn't even responded to my tech support email.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you try erasing your Steam cache? There have been times my roommates have games that don't load or crash when they try to load specific parts and doing so then reinstalling the game always helped.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Suggestions of things to try:
  • As Andar suggested, try clearing your Steam download cache if you haven't already (and then verify files or reinstall RPG Maker MV). Instructions can be found here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

• Make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date. Integrated graphics should may update with the OS; dedicated graphics (e.g. Nvidia/AMD) generally have a separate updater application, which may be scheduled to run automatically. [Edit: see Andar's follow-up post below.]

• Have the Task Manager open when attempting to launch RPG Maker MV and see if you can spot any unusual spikes in CPU/disk usage? This could help identify possible interfering applications.

• Revert to an earlier version through Steam: Library > RPG Maker MV > right-click > Properties > Betas > (version). You can find the release dates of various editor versions here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/rpg-maker-mv-software-updates.171/&order=post_date

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Integrated graphics should update with the OS,
no, it depends on the mainboard/chipset manufacturer. For example even AMD has an integrated GPU in their CPU-Chipsets.

Always check if the manufacturer has a driver before assuming windows takes care of it.

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Mine won't launch through the steam direction (also happened after an update), so what I did, was moving the whole thing on my desktop, where it's working fine.
I don't start from Steam, I only have Steam open.. and then launch it from the folder.
It's important here to open steam first, or it might not launch.

ruisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, so far I have tried:

Uninstalling virus shield
Running in Safe Mode
Running the Steam version
Clear Steam Download Cache
Verify file integrity
Reinstalling Steam version
Reinstalling regular version
Opening Steam but running regular version
Going into Steam and presing the Launch button
Going to the last 2 older versions
Checking Graphics driver for updates

I hard booted for every step I tried.
I never had a game or software do this, so I don't have any experience to fall back on. It boggles my mind. Please help if you can.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can you give us a list of the background programs you have installed?
everything points to a program blocking the launch, and if it isn't your antivirus it needs to be another one of your programs.

if we get a list we can guess which one it might have been.

and what is your graphics card, and how did you check it for updates?

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Ok, so far I have tried:

Uninstalling virus shield
Running in Safe Mode
Running the Steam version
Clear Steam Download Cache
Verify file integrity
Reinstalling Steam version
Reinstalling regular version
Opening Steam but running regular version
Going into Steam and presing the Launch button
Going to the last 2 older versions
Checking Graphics driver for updates

I hard booted for every step I tried.
I never had a game or software do this, so I don't have any experience to fall back on. It boggles my mind. Please help if you can.
And why haven't you tried changing the direction of the folder, RPGM is located in?

so what I did, was moving the whole thing on my desktop, where it's working fine

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Have you tried re-installing Windows completely? You might have gotten faulty drivers.

ruisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the suggestions. I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now I can use RPGMMv again.
I hope that this helps lurkers out there. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ruisu If your query is fully resolved please Report your opening post and ask for it to be closed.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

meet with Quon,
the goddess of Rakuen (circle mascot)
It turns out that if I set the collider to 0,0,0,0 before despawning an event.... QMovement will actually play nice with Galv Event Spawner! :LZSexcite:
So I cloned an event in MV today.
Just got two custom tracks for my game. Things are shaping up nicely. :)
Remember, life is sh*t. But it will difinitely be less sh*t in the future! Stay happy everyone ^^ ...*continues to die inside*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__Andrea__