I just realized something after Skype went down today

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After seeing Skype go down, I realized that the internet has a "gravitational pull" of its own, and if left unchecked, it can become so strong, it's hard to escape. When something goes wrong, and you're so closely attached to the apps, the social media, and the games you've gotten used to having, it feels like life is over. This is why I'm grateful for knowing a life without internet, up until I was 15. I didn't need as much stuff to live back then, and life was simple.

I'm grateful that I get to use the internet, and moreso that I know how to get the most out of it, but sometimes I wonder if it is just as mortal as we are. I like to think that nothing ever leaves us for good until we're ready to release it.

I don't know when Skype will be back online, but until then, I have a bowl of dry Cheerios, a mocha, and I'm in the mood to play some Warzone 2100. :)

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
I haven't even used Skype for a while. =P

*checking...*

Oh right, I see it now. xD

Warzone 2100? Great game, I remember when my dad used to play that game... and he was explaining me how things work and I was like "Woah... it's too complicated -- Yay I built a tank!" ... I miss these times...

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't even used Skype for a while. =P

*checking...*

Oh right, I see it now. xD

Warzone 2100? Great game, I remember when my dad used to play that game... and he was explaining me how things work and I was like "Woah... it's too complicated -- Yay I built a tank!" ... I miss these times...
It's still being worked on by fans. There's even a website for it, where you can download version 3.1.2. There's custom maps, mods, and even music. :D

In case you don't know the story behind Warzone 2100, the studio that made it went bankrupt and they actually made everything in the game open to the fans. Everything is open source.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonkers

Get ready to be Wowed!
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But aren't you doing the same exact thing unabated here on the forums?  Skype being down hasn't stopped anything.  It's just one service.

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But aren't you doing the same exact thing unabated here on the forums?  Skype being down hasn't stopped anything.  It's just one service.
I don't see the point you're trying to make.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never had a personal phone or computer until I left on my own. Even to this day I have difficulty using my smart phone for anything other than making phone calls. I suppose I've used GPS a little more frequently because I never know where I'm going!

I have to say that I love technology. Yeah, some people are consumed by it to the point of rudeness (nose in the phone at dinner). But, I love the Internet. All the e-readers, apps, services, and the ways to connect with people on the other side of the planet. It's amazing!

But I enjoy a diversity of activities. I'm never bored when mild inconveniences strike. I'll just go read, draw, play violin/piano. Unfortunately servers crash, batteries die, and the power goes out. No big deal!

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I never had a personal phone or computer until I left on my own. Even to this day I have difficulty using my smart phone for anything other than making phone calls. I suppose I've used GPS a little more frequently because I never know where I'm going!

I have to say that I love technology. Yeah, some people are consumed by it to the point of rudeness (nose in the phone at dinner). But, I love the Internet. All the e-readers, apps, services, and the ways to connect with people on the other side of the planet. It's amazing!

But I enjoy a diversity of activities. I'm never bored when mild inconveniences strike. I'll just go read, draw, play violin/piano. Unfortunately servers crash, batteries die, and the power goes out. No big deal!
I'm trying to look for opportunities to get out of the house and do more things offline. My mom took me to the church in my town and we had a "high tea" over there. It's like going back to the 50's, where you had the maids in the uniforms, serving you tea and cakes, while jazz music plays in the background. I definitely had fun there, and I got to talk to people, which is one thing I desperately need. A social life. :D

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Skype is still completely working for text messaging. Only the status icon is going hamoc :p

You can't see people statuses, but they'll see your messages if they're connected. So it only changes things if you're trying to phone/video call.

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, Skype is still completely working for text messaging. Only the status icon is going hamoc :p

You can't see people statuses, but they'll see your messages if they're connected. So it only changes things if you're trying to phone/video call.
Well, I logged out, so I'm kinda stuck. :B

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
   The internet is awesome, because of it I almost never get lost and every time someone says I'm wrong about something, or asks me a question I don't know the answer to I can learn instantly one way or the other. At the same time some people do use it to extremes, obsessing over social media and 'likes' and the like, the answer to this is that people just need to remember there is more out there; read books or play board games, go outside and watch the sunrise or the leaves changing colors or camp outside. We're so connected these days that sometimes it feels like that connectivity is a part of us and it's important to 'disconnect' from it all from time to time to keep your perspective, else your left feeling like technology is an essential to your existence, rather than the frivolous timesink that it really is for most people, most of the time.

Skurge

" (GASP) What's going on!? "
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
there is nothing more frustrating than thinking Skype is only playing up on you. I was so confused as to why I couldn't just log in, I tried for ages because I need to speak with my Sprite wars comrades about our campaign and the darn thing just won't work.

I got curious and looked on the net, the date and complaints and boom, it's happening to everyone. It's kinda relaxing not having to hear *BOOP BEE DOOP BOOP DE WOOP* every time someone tries to call you ( skype for some reason does not like to stay on do not disturb)

I actually managed to log in at one rare point but the status was constantly attempting to connect, no messages could be sent or received..

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
It's still being worked on by fans. There's even a website for it, where you can download version 3.1.2. There's custom maps, mods, and even music. :D

In case you don't know the story behind Warzone 2100, the studio that made it went bankrupt and they actually made everything in the game open to the fans. Everything is open source.
Didn't knew about that ~ I have played a Playstation version only. =P

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes you bring up some valid points. We are so tied down by all our internet convinces. I personally thought for a while today that my sype wasn't working because of something on my end. But I am a little relieved that it not just me.  Now we wait until it up. But I do agree there are time where internet has too much hold over our life. For example my animation job is done soley through sype. So if I didn't have internet I would not have a job. But in retrospect it open up more opportunity for us at the same time. I guess what I am trying to say is internet is like everything in life, use it responsibility.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like staying offline for a few days every so often =)

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah with more and more devices and ways being made to stay online, its all the easier to make being online a significant part of your life. It can be nice to get away from it sometimes though get back to simpler things.

This makes me think of an issue that happens with Dlc online purchasable content, when the service goes down you don't physically own that content meaning you don't really own it at all. Think of an online trading card game compared to a real life one; at least in the real life one you always have your cards, you can re-sell them, trade them, give them away if you don't want them anymore. In the online one once you can't access the service anymore you lose everything you invested your money into.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think awhile back, Facebook or Twitter was down for a few minutes or hours, and the internet exploded. I can't remember when it happened though, or whether it was something else entirely that caused everyone to panic.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think awhile back, Facebook or Twitter was down for a few minutes or hours, and the internet exploded. I can't remember when it happened though, or whether it was something else entirely that caused everyone to panic.
Facebook was down last week.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Internet certainly has the capacity to take over and become your life. I had a rough patch a few years ago where I fell out with the guys who ran an IRC channel I spent all my time in. I left it, my website got hacked and everything deleted (not sure if it was them), and it pretty much destroyed me, everything I went online for was gone. It took a lot to step back and realise that it's just the Internet and that there's life elsewhere - but it can really get to the stage where the Internet is your life and having it cut off is like losing a limb.

I'm being melodramatic, but the Internet is serious business. I've known several relationships, even marriages, come off RPG Maker forums. It is just an extension of real life.

You just have to prepare yourself for the worst and have a plan for when the thing you spend all your time in disappears. There should be something else to do when Skype, or Facebook, or RM Web goes down. It shouldn't be a huge panic but of course it's understandable why it is.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
meh not really for myself I am not tie up  to internet in particuliar I don't have internet? fine I will just draw or read some book or doing something else for occupy me Internet is mostly a tools and this not a "second" life the fact skype was down just pissed me off because I needed to speak with a friend about something but this nothing much 

so saying thing's like "time stop" or ect is somewhat not something who catch me I only find this boring because I do love speak with people  but this not make me panic to not have access to something :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anime_Weeb