I keep hearing "change the font" in RPG Maker MV game LPs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hoppy, Oct 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hoppy

Hoppy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Is it really this necessary to change the font in MV?  I know the older makers pre-VX had terrible default fonts, but MV doesn't, VX /VX Ace didn't either.  I know for some games with very specific themes, it does help, but a game like mine, I just don't see the point of changing it, it just not going to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
  2. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    It gives your game a more personal touch.

If it's a free game, perhaps you don't need to think about it too much. However, for a commercial game, having a unique font gives your game a more unique brand presence that is distinguishable from other games that shares the default font. 

It's kinda how most people think of Final Fantasy 13 series when they saw Square721 font.

3. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It isn't always about the look of the font itself. A game that uses the default font doesn't look like a game that the creator cared enough about to put in the extra mile. Even a step as small as changing the font gives the game a style that is definitely from the gout of RM games. 

4. Lord Semaj

Lord Semaj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, games that have unique fonts and monsters and UIs are games people cared about.  If you can't do them yourselves, pay someone else to do them.  If you can't spend your own money to develop a game right then why should anyone spend theirs to buy it?

Buy a title screen from an artist.  Get beautiful unique fonts.  Have a UI that isn't the default border windows.  Have ANIMATIONS that are super special awesome.  Put enough effort in and people may actually buy your game.

5. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    First of all, as long as a font is readable its not something that would ever be a deal breaker for me in regards to playing a game or not.

Users that have seen a lot of rpg maker games or use the engines themselves (as in all the people on this forum) grow tired of seeing the same exact assets over and over again, including the fonts, regardless of the actual quality of them. Changing the font alleviates that and also makes your game more your own.

It is also important to point out that different fonts are going to go well with different types of games. I wouldn't make a comic-book like visual novel or inspired game and then not use a comic type of font with it. If you are making a retro-game, you should be using a retro style font; other wise it will clash visually with the rest of the game. 

Dr. Delibird likes this.
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The thing to be careful of is to not change the font JUST to change it. Make sure it has a purpose. Not every font you pick is on every computer, and some fonts prohibit redistribution, so you have to make sure it is a font that you can legally use and distribute. And, while dealing with that, you have to make sure it is readable. Sure, that font you picked might look cute and give the game a nice touch, but if it gives your players migranes after 20 minutes of playing, the default might be better.

7. Titanhex

Titanhex Do-It-All Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There's a reason people pay a lot of money for fonts and typography is an entire class in Graphic Design.

Considering a different font to put in your game is simply a wise investment because it doesn't change the look and feel of the game.

Consider how much time a person spends just looking at the text in an RPG Maker game. The text should count for something, and perhaps varying it up from place to place isn't a bad idea to keep the eyes from becoming adjusted to the font.

Fonts can easily allude to different things.

This is a nice article on the conjecture and theory surrounding fonts along with many graphical advantages. Just browsing through the pictures makes you realize how much of an influence font can have.

https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/choosing-the-right-font-a-practical-guide-to-typography-on-the-web--webdesign-15

This one also goes into the theory of picking a font, and it's nice to read and see words associated with fonts to get an idea of what they convey.
    https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/what-font-should-i-use-five-principles-for-choosing-and-using-typefaces/

I mean, think of fonts that convey modernism vs futuristic vs medieval. How the serif of the font changes those meanings. How geometric and non geometric fonts look and feel. Then think about how you want your game to look and feel.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
    Vox Novus likes this.
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A font is not a mechanic.

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

9. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It was very hard for me to pick a font for my game, because it's medieval, so I wanted a medieval looking font, but most of the fonts I'd found were virtually unreadable. I did eventually find one but I had to download it. There's something that bothers me about the default font, so i try to steer away from that. Even in my first game, I changed the font immediately to Century Gothic because I couldn't stand the other one. Basically, whatever floats your boat... as long as it's not Comic Sans. 

10. TheGamedawg

TheGamedawg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I feel I need a few screenshots from your game in order to understand why so many people have a problem with it's font.  But if so many people are having problems with it, then maybe it would be best to change it.  Anyway, creating your own font, or even just changing your default one is a really nice way to personalize you game and make it stand out from others.  My games use Times New Roman for this reason.  It's a fancy font, and not everyone knows how to change theirs.

11. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm beginning to wonder if even General Discussion is the right place.  It's difficult to tell as the OP has not replied to any of the posts yet.

@Hoppy If you want help on creating or choosing a font, then this needs to be in Resource Support or maybe Game and Map Screenshots, if you want specific feedback on the visual quality of what you have.

You say that "for a game like mine it doesn't help".  As we don't know what your game is like, we actually can't give an informed opinion.  It also sounds like you don't really want a discussion about it.

Would you please clarify exactly what you want from Members, and whether the answers so far give you sufficient feedback.

12. Bricabrac

Bricabrac The Storyteller Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Remember that gamers are pretty biased about rpg maker games - we got a long discussion about this topic. Something as simple as changing the font helps people not thinking "ugh, another rpg maker game".

Your players should look at your game, not at your engine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  13. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh, boy. Yeah. that topic basically triggered everyone at one point. If you use the default font, and default windowskins, or anything as simple as that, people will already tell that it's an RM game. You don't want that. Usually what I find is if a developer says they "don't need" custom windows and fonts, it's because everything else is RTP and default so if they customized that, it'd look out of place with everything else. But, nevertheless I say, whatever you feel like you need, go with it. 

14. Hoppy

Hoppy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

I was just wondering why LPers keep saying change the font in their first impression videos.  I'm thinking, is the default font that bad, I've seen much much worse fonts in older RPG Makers.

15. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Hoppy Because when you've seen the same font in game, after game, after... people can get sick and tired of it.

To everyone: I don't want this to turn into another 'why people hate RPGMaker' thread. There's one already.

16. Dr. Delibird

Dr. Delibird Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Most LPers playing RM games that aren't in the RM community have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to games apart from playing them (and even then not a lot of these people I am talking about are even good and games). I mean these are the same people, imho, that will demonise FF13 for being nothing but hall ways (fair arguement, I don't agree with it because I still find the game fun but it is a fair arguement) then in the same sentence speak about how open FF10 was (yeah it was more open than 13 but it was still a lot of hall ways, 10 just hid it better imho).

For the above reasons and a few more I don't watch an LPer unless they are truly entertaining, know at least a bit about what they are talking about when it comes to a games design (this is something you have to figure out over time) or I just really love their voice (if your voice makes me weak in the knees idc how bad you are at the game :3).

17. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't think that's really the case here for this topic; I've played rpg maker games with 100% or near 100% custom assets and it can still be fairly easily pegged as a rpg maker game. I don't think its something you can really hide from people who know rpg maker.

I mentioned it before and ksjp17 mentioned and I'm sure others have but when it comes right down to it the issue is mostly one of not wanting to see the same font over and over again. Apart from the reasonable point of certain font types suiting certain games better people just get sick of the same thing over and over again; we are creatures of variety mostly. Even your favorite food would become dull if its the only thing you ate.

Is the default font bad no; there is nothing wrong with it and it does its purpose well, its a clear legible font that doesn't clash with something you might make with the default assets. Again though that's not the issue people have with it.

Dr. Delibird likes this.