GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
MV is a pretty awesome tool-set. I really enjoy what it has brought to the table compared to the older versions but there is one thing that makes it hard for me to use RPG Maker MV though, which is the fact that the engine is locked to 48x48. 

Without the use of plugins for changing the resolution and changing tilesize, this program forces you to use such an odd image size. I've worked in the game art industry for a long time and most people prefer 32x32 or 16x16. 

I feel like if I spent $80 on an engine in 2015, it should at least have support built in for this issue. I use a resolution changer and tilesize changer plugins but it isn't going over to well with the rest of the engine. Using the built in dialogue boxes and menu screens with these plugins is causing me a headache.

I know after a few more hours of tinkering I should have everything at a correct size for my new game resolution, but this really shouldn't be an issue in 2015. 

I like RPG Maker, I really do! Its a nice tool set but I feel like RPG Maker is stuck in the past compared to modern engines.

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One way that others have found to get around this is to use zoom out. It isn't elegant, though.

Neckboi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah out of all of the MV complaints, this one is pretty valid. I'm using a weird tile size for my project (56x56) and it can get pretty annoying. 

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Have you tried playing one of these games on a phone yet?

48x48 is still freakin' tiny. 32x32 would be almost impossible to control for most people without a stylus. 

64x64 would have allowed easier 'cutting up' to smaller tile sizes, but may have been too 'blocky' on its own. I don't know what the right call would have been on this one. I'm glad we have a more open engine this time around though so we can deal with this issue, as one size does not fit all in this case.

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The right call definitely would be to of allowed the creators freedom in this aspect. 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

3am me: So how do you feel about a character inviting their own character portrait to a tea party? =D

3pm me: //facepalms
I turned 17 two months ago and I feel like I've grown (personality-wise) more in this 1 year than all the 16 years I had lived combined.
Ugh, I may have been cumbersomely eventing a bunch of stuff I could have easily done changing the tileset "Passage (4 dir)" and "Ladder" options. Oops :D
I have no idea why some of the program "splash screen" always on top. E.g, RMMZ loading screen stuck on the top blocking anything I want to do until it fully loaded. What is even the purpose?
One of the secret places in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
silvake1543