I need content creator's Help!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yopeople, Oct 6, 2019.

1. yopeople

yopeople Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    How do you get the help of youtubers to play your game? Especially well known youtubers. I emailed a few youtubers about my game but it seems like my game is shrugged off.

Also, who are great small time lets play youtubers that like indie games?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depending on how well known the YouTuber is, yours might be 1 of a 1000 games that gets sent to them each day/week/month. For the most part, I hardly see any RPG Maker games being played on Let's Play channels... at least the one I watch. They typically have to be extraordinarily good or extremely bad. The best you can do is send them a private message or email and hope they can get back to you. Send them a free key of the game. Let them know why you are sending them the game and why you would like them to play/review your game. Start off with smaller, not well known channels and then move up to bigger channels. In your messages/email, be as descriptive as you can about your game and highlight features and gameplay.

3. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I highly recommend @Studio Blue as they'll be the 1st youtubers I want them to do LP of my 1st project, and hopefully give me their review. Another critique I recommend is @Randor . He gives honest reviews/critiques of RPG Maker games no matter how bad, or good they are.

Studio Blue likes this.
  4. yopeople

yopeople Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @Elliott404 Ohhh thank you about Randor, I didn't know about him! I did contact studio blue about a year ago when the IGCM was happening. They did say they wanted to show case my game sometimes January 2019 or the next month but I never saw a video of my game. Maybe they forgot. I'm kinda scared to ask them again haha...It's just me though. I'll sound impolite and annoying.

Studio Blue likes this.
  5. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're welcome.
    And it's alright, I guess. You can send them again as a reminder nicely, if you want to.
    Good luck on your progress ^^

6. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    You will not see them playing RPG Maker games though.

That's the reality.

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In my experience few will play RPG's. Most let's players I know didn't even cover Octopath Traveler or Fire Emblem Houses. The reason is probably due to how long you have to play an RPG to tell if it is good or bad usually, whereas other types of games you can usually tell and give a good opinion on in under an hour.

You'll need to find people who specialize in RPG's to have decent luck with this. I only know of three and two of them have already been mentioned. The other one is at one time @HawkZombie was doing let's play's, though not sure if they are still doing them.

8. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have at least 4 LP videos of my game IIRC, full episode (start to finish), and most of them have 11 ~ 13 episodes (+1 LP video for another game of mine), although none of them are actually a big Let's Players. But I'm still glad people spare their time to play my game and record it.

To make your game get LP video, from my experience, there're three sources
    1. Make your game viral / well known. Design the game as good as possible and get people's attention before even reaching LP'ers
    2. Participate in events and game jams. There're people who play games that are made for the event.
    3. Give your game to people who're looking for a game to LP.

Are you trying to seek fame using LP video? Because from what I've seen, it's the opposite. The chance your game gets played is depends on you and your game popularity.

9. yopeople

yopeople Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @TheoAllen Yeah in some some ways. I'm trying to raise a kickstarter for the game, so I'm looking for LP to help spread my awareness towards my game.

10. yopeople

yopeople Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @bgillisp Ahhh I'll definitely contact him! Yeah I'm going to try to find smaller specialized lets play youtubers

11. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you are going for a kickstarter, make sure to make a facebook page and twitter account for the game. Post snapshots and small game play videos regularly. Maybe even hold a small contest where the top three winners or so earn free keys for your game (that is, if your game cost money). These will be more beneficial in getting your game known/out there versus having Let's Players advertise... not withstanding the few exceptional LPers.

12. HawkZombie

HawkZombie Lord of Shadow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for the shoutout! I am still doing them, and will until I die ;) Only I live stream it on Twitch and upload that VOD to YouTube after.

I got your message, Yo, and I will reply soon!

Studio Blue and Skoops like this.
  13. Studio Blue

Studio Blue Studio Blue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya! It's nothing you did on your end. We dropped the ball. If you're on our Discord or watch our channel updates, er, a lots been happening.

We do absolutely recommend @HawkZombie and @Driftwood Gaming. Both are amazing people who we highly respect. So if anyone reaches out to us and we're just not available (it's been a rough few months, we reiterate), either of them will offer amazing feedback.

Driftwood Gaming likes this.
  14. isoovak

isoovak Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    maybe pay them, have you tried?

15. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I can see disaster incoming already... [​IMG] Kickstarter for an RPG Maker game...?
    Now, I took a look at your game. From what I can see from the trailer, it's some sort of cyberpunk-ish game. I didn't see any details about battle system or anything else. I don't know how much experience you have with the engine, but I don't think you're very well-known in the community. How's anyone supposed to back your game if you have nothing to back it up? [​IMG]

I will recommend someone to you. He's not very popular, nor do I watch his videos often, but he seems to be very active.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/shayoko6/videos
    He has an account on here, too, so contact him if you wish.

16. yopeople

yopeople Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    thank you @Mr. Detective Yeah, a kickstarter for an rpg maker game. I'm very well experienced in rpg maker. Just not very good at marketing haha...So your disaster foresight might come true lol. I'm also learning that I should've raised a following before getting a kickstarter up. But in my fair defense, I have tried for the past year without a demo to show for and didn't know how to market without a demo. Now, I'm on a very steep hill climbing up to reach the goal. I've read some reddit posts that it's doable. It just needs a lot of luck and some smart marketing strategy.

I'll contact him. Some exposure is better than no exposure. I pretty much got roughly 50 days...But the good news is that people find the game interesting :D

17. Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio Writer - Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In my experience, about 95% youtubers/streamers out there wouldn't consider story-driven/adventure games and/or JRPG and/or RPGMaker games. They prefer action games that draw their watching audience. Hack and slash, Beat 'em up ....

18. Studio Blue

Studio Blue Studio Blue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice to be one of the 5% then. XD

But yeah, you have a point... and a lot of is has to do with entertaining an audience. Those faster paced games are likely to hold viewers' attentions more than a riveting story-driven RPG.

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio likes this.