NortonsDonuts

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am working on a non-combat based game, and I want to make a tileset. I am not sure if I am capable to understand how autotiles work, as they look EXTREMELY complex to me. Is there a (free) program that lets you make them a lot more easily? I am currently using Microsoft Paint and CLIP STUDIO. System is Windows 10.

Any templates/bases are also welcome, just anything I can modify freely to understand how tiles work.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This blog breaks down how an autotile is constructed. https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/blog/classic-tutorial-how-autotiles-work

Most any program would work fine as long as it supports a transparent background. The ability to add a grid is also very useful. I use Gimp for editing tiles and sprites.

As far as templates, the A sheets are going to be different. If you open them in a program and put a 48x48 grid on them, you can see their layout. B-E sheets are going to be 768x768 pixels, with a 48x48 grid.

edit: Here's a thread with templates, though maybe not for every tile sheet. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rpg-maker-mv-mz-templates-and-guideline.46839/

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Additionally, instructions are included with MV, if you click Help -> Contents -> Documentation -> Assets there's a description (and picture?) of how to format all of the tilesets.

Additionally additionally, as far as a template, just open any of the tilesets that actually come with the game. You can see exactly how they're made, draw over those spaces, etc.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a tileset template that @Starbird_Resources made:

Last edited:

autodidact

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found this tutorial very helpful in understanding autotiles: https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/blog/classic-tutorial-making-an-autotile

It shows a couple of GIFs showing how to make an autotile fit together, that visual helped me a lot more than a color-corded chart.

This tutorial may also be helpful, but I find it less explanatory. It includes the handy tip of scaling your image down to make it look a little neater.

I hope it helps. I have found autotiles a headache, but they very helpful to know how to create.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Thank you.

(this thread is specifically about MV)

Microsoft Paint is probably the one program we'd say NOT to use.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I couldn't understand autotiles for a long time. What I did was to make a dummy version of the tiles with different blocks of colors or lines to help me see what part of the image was being used. I then played around with mapping with that in RM. Seeing it in action like that helped things click at last.

If you're going be using a pixel art style, I highly recommend Pyxel Edit. It's not free, but it's cheap and it makes making seamless tiles very easy. If you're using a raster style (aka anything not 3d, vector, or pixel), then I recommend Krita. It's free and you can set the canvas up in such a way that you can wrap the edges and see it repeated. What this means is if you draw off one side it'll keep drawing on the other. Neither of these will help you make autotiles, since RM has a really strange setup compared to most programs that use tiles, but the hardest part is making those tiles seamless anyway.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Microsoft Paint
MSPaint cannot handle transparency in PNG files and automatically destroys the alpha channel (the source of transparency) when working with PNG.
That makes it extremely unusable to do any work with tilesets or sprites for modern RPG-Makers.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Genuinely considering making a thread informing people how to Google.
It's time for Da Update...

Prototyping some overworld abilities. Some of the characters you'll meet on your journey can use special overworld skills to travel around. This can be something like digging holes in the ground or getting hints towards your next objective.

Even more things I made.
Equipping Abilities is very important.
fLhHhZjh.gif
demonow.jpg

Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace Alpha Demo is Officially LIVE on Steam!

>> DOWNLOAD AND PLAY THE DEMO ON STEAM NOW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImMakingGames