I need help: Players, store page, price, game, trailer...

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by thalesgal, Sep 29, 2019.

1. BlueMage

BlueMage Slime Lv99 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    You must have realized it now, Gaming Industry nowaday maybe the most cruel one to pursue.
    You will get in the ring with million of other developers and big boss AAA companies, so...
    It's not that you weren't talent, it's just that you have too many opponents to compete with

thalesgal and Marquise* like this.
  2. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    After looking at the game, based on what I've seen, here are my thoughts on what could be improved:

- The presentation, graphic looks lacking. A lot of the graphic seems like from stock assets. Let's say I'm a buyer, first thing I see are the arts, that'll make or break whether it can grab people attention to further investigate about your game. My taste might be different from others, but these are some types of art that I think are considered as good (as they make me curious and look more about the game):
    upload_2019-10-5_0-47-8.png upload_2019-10-5_0-47-59.png upload_2019-10-5_0-49-59.png upload_2019-10-5_0-52-42.png upload_2019-10-5_0-53-27.png upload_2019-10-5_0-55-56.png

- The trailer did not grab my attention, first 15 second and I did not feel interested. I suggest shortening it to 1 minute and maybe look into something like this for example:

- Voice acting is nice to have but are poorly recorded and done. So my suggestions are: to remove it, improve the recording, or add an option to toggle off voice over.
    - The images shown on the achievements seem poorly made.
    - This is nit picky but review section doesn't seem very credible, when I looked at metacritic, I saw the score 8.0 instead of 10/10 on the steam page. Also, only 4 steam curators approved the game, the other 3 put it as informational. I would recommend taking out the steam curators as player can see that when they scroll down the steam page to read reviews. Overall, I think this section is more for professional reviews that you can leverage off (polygon, giantbomb, indiegames, etc...)
    - I think award section is not being used correctly, plus I cannot see any of the text. Another note is that white text on black background does not fit. Here is an example of a good award section:
    - $9 pricing is way too expensive for what I see, maybe $2-$4 is more reasonable.

I don't meant to be harsh with my comments, but the standard of indie games has gone up in these past few years, if you want to sell copy, you have to aim for that standard. Additionally, know that presentation is what bring the players to your game, gameplay is what keep them playing the game, and great story is what make them remember about the game. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  3. thalesgal

thalesgal Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello @Indinera thank you for answering!
    9 so far xD
    I have 130 on the wishlist.
    I was out of time last week, this week I will work in the game store, and some advertising. I'm thinking of giving a discount too as you said.
    Thank you very much for your help :D

Hello @BlueMage thank you for answering!
    Yeah! It is very complicated! I thought it was easier hahaha xD
    I think I understand better now how this whole thing works. In fact, I think because of all this competition I can't succeed without spending on advertising (Of course there are games that did it very well without spending anything), but I think the standard way is advertising, for mere mortals xD

Hello @FluffexStudios thank you for answering!!
    Thank you so much for this review.
    I didn't pay much attention to the graphics when creating the game. Now I see it was a big mistake ;/
    Unfortunately at the stage my game is, it would be impossible for me to change everything. I would spend more time changing everything than creating a new game XD
    But thank you very much for the references, and for the video. I could learn more about this. Thank you!

Oh, someone went on metacritic and gave me a grade 1 XDDD how cruel XDDD
    I will change this.

About the curators, I do have 7 recommendations from the curators! I don't know why it's not showing up on the page. I'll get help with steam support. In the dashboard panel the 7 recommendations appear...
    I will take a look at this page you gave me and change the rewards as you said. I will try to make it more professional like this one.
    About the price I am thinking of doing a discount after creating some advertisements. I will think about it.

Thank you so much for the review! It is very important to me! I created this thread for that! You are right!!

Nice words!! :D

As a way of thanks I'll be sending you a key via PM. If someday you can play, I'll be very happy :D
    I can guarantee you will have a good time! The time not spent in graphics, was spent in systems and gameplay! This aspect is nice I assure you!

4. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Both numbers are pretty low indeed.
    On the plus side you got a (positive) review already. Out of 9 reviews, I have to say it's a brilliant 11% conversion rate lol

Personally I don't think the low results really have much to do with the store or the video or whatever.
    The situation just seems awfully dire on Steam right now, with things getting worse and worse every new year (and possibly new month).
    Also real time combat is always risque if you're targetting the RM niche (which, as small as it is, tends to produce more than 9 sales...).
    If you're not targetting it, you need to find a new audience, and good luck with that considering the current circs.

EDIT: I'd offer a release on my website to try and shake sales count a little bit but... I'm afraid real time combat might not be the thing of my community. :unsure:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    thalesgal likes this.
  5. thalesgal

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indinera hello!! Oh you are the owner of the aldorlea site?! I didn't know! I just saw in your signature XDD
    Thank you so much for stepping by. A few days ago I emailed you asking you to accept my game on the site hahaha!!
    Could you reconsider release it? It would be very important to me. Pleeease? XD

I will also PM you with a key to you to have a look at the game! If you can of course. I don't want to bother...
    Thank you very much in advance!

6. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Ah, probably didn't get the chance to see your email yet (I tend to keep a backlog of some sort lol)

Yes of course I can release it. Always happy to try, anyway. I'll send you an email then. There are a couple of things you need to do before I can affiliate and release it.

thalesgal likes this.
  7. thalesgal

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much \o/

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One thing to keep in mind is we should be close to the Steam Fall sale, so maybe you should wait until that and try a 25% discount or something to see if it drums up interest? Just be careful as buyers tend to not like it if you do a 60% off sale too close to release, and with you having released it this recently I think they could refund it and rebuy it at the new price still (not sure if Steam allows it, but something you do have to keep in mind).

I'd probably focus more on fixing up the advertising and such, and maybe try promoting it on other sites? And maybe talk to our youtubers and see if they will play your game too? I know we got like three here that will do it though I think they are backlogged at least a month or two as mine is still on the list as well.

thalesgal likes this.
  9. thalesgal

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi @bgillisp !
    Thank you so much for the tip I will do that. I´m thinking about 35%.

I have changed the screenshots, trailers, and some words at the description. I think It got better... It´s not a perfect thing due to my limitations xD, but this improvement was thanks to you guys. Thanks so much for the tips.

Now I will look for some influencers as you said. Let´s see what happens xD

10. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Presentation is much better than the first one.
    Very good Job, it is way better now.

I still doubt it can succeed in that price Category.
    But no matter what you do, its interesting to watch the outcome later on, feel free to be our guinea pig (just joking).
    :MV3:

You could still try to partialy compensate the People who allready bought it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  11. thalesgal

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Bex hello!!
    Thank you very much my friend!!! :D

I'm still thinking about the price. For now I will see what I can do about publicizing and promoting the game. This thing of talking to influencers is very hard! I'm having a hard time getting in touch with these people XDD

But that's it... let's see the next chapter xD

12. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would assume, dont waste time with so called Influencers.
    Maybe get someone who has a nice Voice, to record the Gameplay while he or she is playing. This should be also someone who doesnt dislike this kind of Games.
    Than upload that on you Tube. People who want to know more about certain Games, tend to go to you tube and search there for gameplay Videos.
    I have never done this Game promotion thingy, so i have no clue if this would realy make a difference in the end, but thats what i think i would try.

thalesgal likes this.
  13. RoooodWorks

RoooodWorks Devil King Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    well for one don't use stolen assets, hawkzombie streamed this game and found ripped assets like a pokeball, ragnarok online assets, and art that says not to be used in commercial games. so yeah... this game is breaking a ton of rules, no wonder it doesn't sell well.

thalesgal likes this.
  14. phamtruong1992

phamtruong1992 Mage Art - Green Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lmao, i love this guy! He always laughes after his every sentences written. Very cheerful personality i assume? Though, thoughts on the store presentation, the only thing i like about the game is the voice acting, the voices are soothing to the ears though, lol. And the combat looks a little bit interesting maybe? hahahahaha

thalesgal likes this.
  15. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I see a lot of features in the game. I was interested in the EXIT scenario. seems worth looking into.
    But this is a map battle game and and an action battle game. these are my least favorite types, so it's not for me.

thalesgal likes this.
  16. thalesgal

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello! I'm sorry I totally forgot to look at this thread!
    I came here to read a little more about commercial questions, advertising and marketing, and I just saw my thread XD

@Bex hello my friend!
    I'm still in the advertising part. I'm learning a lot.
    Before making a big investment, I am making smaller investments in multiple targets to see what works best. From what I've seen so far, google ads was not so effective, but influencers gave more result. It's just like you said, a person playing and commenting on the game is very good. There are still many things to test! Thank you for the help!

@RoooodWorks hello!
    You were right my friend xD But now everything is fixed! \o/

@phamtruong1992 hello my friend XDD

hahahahah!!! XDDD I love this "XD" thank you so much for stopping by my friend. You are the guy!! At this moment I already answers you in the other thread! Thanks so much for the feedback !! And thank you so much for the words! Sorry the delay :D

@Roninator2 hello my friend! Thank you for stopping by! Sorry the delay!
    Thanks for taking a look at the game!! Yes the game is full of features and challenges! I've implement a free DEMO version of the game. There you will be able to play about 2 hours of play. Then you have a way of knowing if you liked the game or not. If you enjoyed the game, you can buy the full version and you will not lose your data :D
    If you play someday, please let me know what you think about the game!
    Cheers!