I need help with biomes advice would be much apreshated.

hinola

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can you give a few exemples ?

To see what biome you are talking about, and if such a transition is really important
(it may just be a message saying you change zone, or other kind of rp friendly way to make fast travel)

I suppose you already thought about not using a world map so I won't propose that ^^

Kaligath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried using a real map and it just does not fit right with me.

Its more to do with when should i transition deserts and tundras into temperate areas and vice versa.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only way I can think of to do what I think you are wanting, is to combine the two tilesets. For instance, if you are linking desert to grassland, you may have a "transitional" map that will begin with the green, lush grass tiles at the top. As you work your way down the map, you begin to use less green and more dirt. Midway, you begin mixing the sand and dirt tiles, probably more deadish looking plants/trees at this point. And at the bottom you are using the desert tiles completely.

If you're mixing in snow, you might make a few maps that look like you're heading up into a mountain. Maybe using caves to navigate to higher points, kinda like that mountain in FF6 when you get Sabin in your party. Each time you come out of a cave, a little higher up, there are a few more snow tiles, until eventually you're using the entire snow tile set.

Unless you're using parallax mapping, you're probably not going to get the absolute smoothest transitions between biomes.

I may be misremembering, but Star Ocean: Till the end of Time is sticking out in my head as a game that did the biome transition fairly well. I think it was on the first world, you start in a castle town where it's snowing, and work you're way down a mountain to where it's more dry and grassy.

EDIT: I think I just realized you're talking about how to do this on a world map? Oops, I misread I guess.

Have you tried doing a parallax world map? So that you can use GIMP or something to blend colors?

EDIT: Maybe one way would be weather effects. If you're walking on snow tiles, have a snow weather effects start up? Little things like that, although not changing the map per se, can still add to the climate.

Kaligath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So a gradual transition over say 5 maps?
Snow > slightly less snow into grass > grass >slightly less grass into desert > Desert
Like this?

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So a gradual transition over say 5 maps?
Snow > slightly less snow into grass > grass >slightly less grass into desert > Desert
Like this?
That would work. Either using multiple maps; or using one map, provided you have the right scale. For one map, maybe the first 8 tiles would be snow, next 8 tiles less snow into grass, next 8 grass, next 8 less grass into desert, next 8 desert. I guess it really depends on the scale you're looking for.

Kaligath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the moment i am using 1 map to make a mega map using the grid tool 38 tiles wide and 23 tiles tall then divide the map into chunks so for now i guess ill use the dirt texture to do the world as if it was barren then change it and using your information to decorate the landscape.

Thank you very much for the reply's this has given me some perception on what to do.

hinola

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here are a few exemple :
Almost all of them use shift mapping, you will have to learn it if you don't use it yet.
It's used to controle perfectly the autotiles.
But as you use MV and not ace or XP, it will be messed up :/

biomes.png

From left to right, then bottom :

Use elevations
Easy, fast, you can make transitions super fast.
Of course, for one big map it will be difficult, because you have to stick with the elevation you choosed everywhere

Use vegetation
To make it smoother and to divert the player from the ground
Snowy vegetation on dirt make it looks like the snow don't melt on this places

Use a reference element
(here, the river)
Make it central and make the biome evolve around it to insert one biome in an other
Your transition will look less like a line and will be smoother and logical

Use a "overlayed" biome
Like a forest or a hill (a simple elevation, with a stair on both side)
You just put it on top of both biome
or just a river with a bridge

Use a teleport
You are on the left side of a mountain, you pass a caverne, you are on the right side, boom easy
Like proposed HumanNinjaToo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The end is near. The end is near. The MV era will be passed and people will look the forum about new RPG maker all days. Let go people the maker is not ready to publicly display yet.
C&C Remastered comes out tomorrow! Hyped! Already have it preinstalled on Steam.
Its ironic, how often a person can have something smart to say, when their arrogance is originating from an internal vacuum where emotional intelligence belongs.
Parallax mapping is time consuming...
Let's purchase th... WAIT! Just in time ehehehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lokuton