I need help with tracking a timer through different areas and...

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
having its effect trigger regardless of which area they are in.

Warilized

Random Encounter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could utilize common event for that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it depends on what effect you want the timer to have, but the regular timer is completely independent of the map and will work that way automatically, you just have to have an event for checking it whereever the player goes. Either common event or map event depending on what you want the timer to do.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And, in case you need the timer to trigger multiple events at different times, you can take a look at the tutorial in my signature about timed events and timing systems.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
it depends on what effect you want the timer to have, but the regular timer is completely independent of the map and will work that way automatically, you just have to have an event for checking it whereever the player goes. Either common event or map event depending on what you want the timer to do.
Fixed the first part of the timer problem. Now, they both work independently of each other. What I'm looking to do is have the player go from the lake on the main map to an inside shop and buy stuff. Then exit the shop and back to the main map. Then go into another inside shop and buy more stuff then exit back to the main map. And make it back to the finish line before time runs out. So what I want is to have the timer track their time no matter where they are. And no matter where they are if they run out of time they lose the game. Also want the timer to be displayed the whole time.

Last edited:

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the point where you want the timer to start counting, set the timer and turn on a switch.

Add a common event with a parallel process trigger and conditioned by that switch with something like this:
Code:
Wait 60 frames
Conditional Branch: Timer = 0
  Show Text: Time's up
  (do whatever else you want to do when time runs out - gameover?)
End

And wherever the finish line is, have an event turn off that switch to indicate the player made it back in time and stop the common event checking.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
At the point where you want the timer to start counting, set the timer and turn on a switch.

Add a common event with a parallel process trigger and conditioned by that switch with something like this:
Code:
Wait 60 frames
Conditional Branch: Timer = 0
  Show Text: Time's up
  (do whatever else you want to do when time runs out - gameover?)
End

And wherever the finish line is, have an event turn off that switch to indicate the player made it back in time and stop the common event checking.
Something in Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Core Engine v1.09 https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/core-scripts/ace-core-engine/ is stopping the timer from showing up. It still triggers and works when the timer is up. But the timer can't be seen.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, nothing in that script that affects the timer being displayed.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, nothing in that script that affects the timer being displayed.
I made a copy of my game and deleted scripts one at a time and play tested each time to see if the timer would show up after moving to another map. There were only 2 scripts left. Khas Awesome Light Effects which would crash the game if deleted. And Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Core Engine v1.09 when deleted allowed the timer to show up. I made no changes to the script. You can see for yourself if you want to check it.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would you care to share your project with me? With all scripts enabled.

Did you set the Forced Action Remove Switch, and any chance you used the same switch elsewhere?

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't even know where to find the Forced Action Remove Switch. I use the same switch to start the timer and on the countdown ones. I'll send you a dropbox link so you can check it out.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is in the script. Just scroll down or search for FORCED.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Holy cow, I have made Row Formation work again with OTB!

Now, my devious machinations can finally be born...
finished the second chapter of deltarune today, I gotta say that the 3 years wait was worth it lol
Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linuxluigi