I need some beginner advice with mapping

IFCATS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After various experiments, I decided to go with the FES tileset for my game.
Now my mapping skills are equivalent to zero.

I'll go around and follow some tutorials, but meanwhile I could use some specific advice to get things in motion.
I would really appreciate if you could have a look at this abomination and give me some tips to make things look less ugly.
I circled the bits that annoy me the most, especially items placement and houses.

abomination.PNG

please note that for this game I would like to keep the map this size (fixed screens)

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
autotiles have specific rules to cut borders with one another.
try shift-clicking to place autotiles on autotiles, to prevent them from turning borders into seams.

B-E tiles, if they don't match what you want, would have to be redrawn..... but that's easy, since they're mostly WYSIWYG.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
re-organize the tiles (make back up first) is to re-arrange the tiles a bit more UP.
another advanced way is to use YEP_GridFreeDoodas (im not sure if this is paid or free)
so you can place them where everyou want, but most part stays on 48x48 grid.

Keep in mind of rearranging it, you use more grid space of tiles like the sign on 48x48, placing it 24px
right or left, and you use 96x48 grid, and you can overlap 3 times over each other.

there are other signs as well that goes on the side walls. if you want to include it.
most RTP, FES and other works nicely together though.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd suggest practice using default assets only, at first; going by the screenshot, you're mixing different graphics sets. Look at other peoples' games and see how they do their mapping. Also, there's a dedicated thread to mapping feedback. Just reading through that should get you a lot of tips.

IFCATS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you. I used the search function but I could not find it. Can you point me in the right direction for the mapping thread?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you follow the link to the starting point in my signature, it should contain a link to a tutorial on "shift-click-mapping".
That is what you need to learn in order to prevent some of those effects.

Another option might be to remove the ! from some object sprite filenames. By default NPCs are shifted up 4 pixels to make them look as if they're standing inside the field and not on its borders. The ! in the filename prevents this, because it would look very bad if for example a door-sprite does not fit with the wall and floor.
However for objects like the signpost it should look better if they use a sprite that is shifted up like a person-sprite.

IFCATS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank you Andar! This is exactly the advice I needed. Simple and easy. I knew about the ! but applying it to an example like the signpost is exactly what I needed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The end is near. The end is near. The MV era will be passed and people will look the forum about new RPG maker all days. Let go people the maker is not ready to publicly display yet.
C&C Remastered comes out tomorrow! Hyped! Already have it preinstalled on Steam.
Its ironic, how often a person can have something smart to say, when their arrogance is originating from an internal vacuum where emotional intelligence belongs.
Parallax mapping is time consuming...
Let's purchase th... WAIT! Just in time ehehehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreiek