I need the community's opinion on something.

In what form should THIS tutorial be delivered?

• Another form (please state on your comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I plan to make a tutorial that will distill all the knowledge gathered around our forum members, on copyright issues, intellectual property issues, what you should do, what you are allowed to do, what you should not do and stuff like that, with a lot of details, so people can be educated on that matters.
No matter if you are a hobbyist, an artist, a developer, just a member who is here for the lulz, you got one thing in common. It is good for all of you to know how not to get into trouble. Since copyright, custom licenses, piracy, ripped assets and stuff turned Internet into a jungle, I believe you would find a guide on such a subject helpful.

What if I told you it would be for free? Yeah that's more like it.
So I need an answer to a dilemma I got.
I love making tutorials in the form of games.
People though prefer different means on tutorials.
I just wanna know how much appealing the game form is and how much appealing the thread is.
So please, vote on the poll for the next 30 days starting from today and please, if you got another tutorial form that works better for you, please state it in the comments below.

It doesn't matter if you are a newcomer or a veteran here, you are ALL welcome to participate, just please be honest.

Last edited:

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, a big and organized thread is the best option. Like this, a member can even ask questions on subjects that may be hard to understand at first. I like the PDF idea too, but some people may have issues in downloading and opening it in cell phones.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I picked Big Thread and PDF file. It would be good just to have something to link here for new users and something downloaded to just look over if you don't want to open up a browser.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trolling you! Neener Neener!

Seriously, though, with the confusion and seriousness of the matter, there is no reason to not do multiple formats. For the sake of argument, someone could simply download a PDF to read at their leisure. A game would be a more interactive and fun way to present information. Then, the forum is better at nailing out details if something is misunderstood. All three have valid ways to help spread the information. This will then put the question towards, what do you have the time to create? I think a forum thread is a must-have, but nobody but you can decide if you have the time for more.

I'll put it this way, I may play your game, I would likely read your PDF, but then I would really want to be able to ask for clarifications. Clarifications come more readily in a forum, and saves your inbox! :biggrin:

Vance Raehart

Story writer/Aspiring Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With all due honest I think a big thread might be great idea. It would highlight this being an important issue for young or new devs. But what do I know? I’m here to troll

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In all honesty, a game would be kinda cringy. But pdf or forum post, I don't care as long as it delivers the message... Which is going to be the problematic part. Hardly anyone reads the forum rules when they come, how are you going to make them read that tutorial?

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The biggest point of having a thread is the ability to link to it when a relevant discussion/question comes up.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I picked a big thread on the forum, in fact, I need you could make a section called "Legal Exploration". People on this website are from around the world and "copyright issues and intellectual property issues" can be varied by countries. The section would allow those people to help us with their first-hand experience. (Even experienced lawyers do not know every copyright laws sadly.)

For examples:
https://legalbeagle.com/6780679-countries-copyright-laws.html

I also picked a playable free game with some funny parts. I know you like that style of teaching which it would help a lot for a visual learner.

Finally, I picked the PDF too. The reasons like people above my comment. It is easy for people to read on the phone. It might take a long time because it requires clarity for a reader of a legal understanding.

Consideration of other people's point of view is a great idea.

Last edited:

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Vance Raehart, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I allowed one time trolling, just for fun, but the rest of the rules apply 100% so the joke is on you! :p

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How about a dedicated website/wiki? One page for one topic, and you can link to another topic (like endless page clicking when you open tvtropes website bcz you're curious on what they mean by something). Honestly, I'm not really a fan of the forum format, or games. Although games might be good to insert some jokes.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would prefer a thread or pdf. Downloading a game just feels like a lot of work for me (which is why I hate it when people say "I have a problem with my game - here's a demo"). Plus, if I only want to know one thing, but have to play through a game and not be able to go straight to that one thing, I'd be annoyed.

Something with headings/subheadings that you can jump to depending on your requirements (or headings with the info in spoilers would work too).

And good on you for taking the time to compile everything together in a nice little package, so people can ignore it and go ahead and ask the questions anyway (you know that already, right?). At least we'll be able to direct them to one place where it's all been thought out and worded well :)

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And good on you for taking the time to compile everything together in a nice little package, so people can ignore it and go ahead and ask the questions anyway (you know that already, right?). At least we'll be able to direct them to one place where it's all been thought out and worded well :)

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A thread seems to be more appropriate. The ones that are most likely not aware of the intellectual property laws are newcomers to the forum (due to the fact I tend to pester people around here about the law lol), and they are also the most likely people to not take the time to download and play an informative game.

I also have a thread where I guide people, as a Canadian law student (pretty similar laws in western countries due to international treaties, but there are some differences. Other countries in the Commonwealth, and the US, should have laws very close to Canada) through different legal issues (not just intellectual property, but that is the biggest theme around here):
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/the-creators-legal-clinic-advices-and-explanations.108398/#post-973610

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will definitely take a look at it, since it might contain something interesting, thanks!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dreadshadow Thanks! And if you ever need my opinion for a matter, don't hesitate!

But yeah, I doubt even a simple pinned thread will have much of an effect. The target audience for that message is most likely newcomers who aren't going to become regular members, meaning they'll only come here to ask one question and won't be back for months, when they'll have a new question. Those kind of people sadly don't read forum rules.

That doesn't mean we should have a "General Information for new Game Makers" thread (include much more than legal advice, like advice too).

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28, Remember venue, and jurisdiction lol. If every nation upholds the international treaties to same ways, it would easy for us all. Some countries written words of the law and practicality are a contradiction. That is why we need confirmation from a primary source. Plus the concept of copyright and copyright protection is different. The government of respected countries might have a concept of copyright, but the protection of the authorship might be hard to enforce even a lawsuit. (If the government of that country does not want her citizen to extradite, it is not a thing a copyright holder can do about it.lol):kaojoy: (Remember www.fiverr.com)
Reality is super tricky and unfair. I hope it would direct and straightforward like a law book.:kaopride:
https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo Yeah that's why I said it's similar, I did not say it's the same. And when you're referring to countries breaching copyrights for their citizen, you're talking about countries like China lol. I was referring to most Western countries that put the respect of the law and international treaties above their selfish interests. There are some slight differences between those countries (like for duration before going into public domain, definition, etc.), but it is pretty similar. That's why most of my legal advice here are mostly valid, just need to check the small details (for example: 50 years after an author death for the transition in public domain, same in the us except for corporations that have 75 years instead).

Everything isn't simple of course, otherwise I wouldn't have killed myself to get the best grades to get accepted in law school. We do have a tendency to make things complicated, but justice is something complicated and it needs something equally complicated to enforce it unfortunately lol.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28, I am referring to Eritrea, Turkmenistan, and San Marino lol No Protection. Sadly not everyone lives in Western countries. I don't want you to off your guard lol. Good job:kaohi:

(counterfeit and piracy are still popular practice sadly in some developing countries.)
You could look at a Vietnam copyright law. (A case by case is a fun part of law school, Vietnam – United States Copyright Agreement are followed by a Vietnamese government, counterfeit and piracy acts are overwhelmed the government enforcement.)
https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/vietnam-new-regulations-copyright-related-rights.html/

@Dreadshadow, sorry off, I go off a topic. I stop talking now.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo You're right, but unfortunately there's nothing I can do for that. The law is the law, but the law doesn't protect from those who don't follow the law unfortunately. The best thing we can do is implement anti-piracy measures in our games (for game making ofc), but there's not much more we can do. I'm just here to say what the law says, if someone doesn't follow it it's no longer my job lol (we got police and army for that, but they won't move simply because of some copyright violation lol).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

A wave of cold air has hit Canada... I know it's "always cold", but this one is especially cold... I'm freezing to death lol.
Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoetSmith