I need to know how to get my game out there...

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, I'm making a game with RPG Maker VX Ace called The_Glitch, and I posted it in the "in development" section of the forums about a year ago... The game's come far, but those followers that I had at the beginning are gone, and there obviously aren't going to be any newcomers to a game that's lost in the development tab. I need to know how to get my game... Out there. Preferably free. But if I have to pay to get good results, then... Talk to me lol... What were some of your methods to get your game out there?
I hope this is the right place to put this........ If not, I'm sorry mods!!!

punchybot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is the game completed?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Four ways I know of:

1: Post an update on the thread. That will bump it and get it back into the list people see.

2: Play some other games, and add a link to your game in your signature. Those you play the games of just might check your game out in return.

3: Enter a review trade. We don't have any going on now, but those are ones where people sign up and are assigned to play someone else's game, and in return their game is assigned to someone to play and review as well.

4: Give copies to let's players or reviewers on the forum. We got three active ones right now, @HawkZombie , @Studio Blue and @Countyoungblood . Contact one of them and ask them to play the game.

eluukkanen

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Four ways I know of:

I would have said at least one or two points, but bgillisp said it the best way. When you start without a following, you need to keep sustaining your game to generate enough interest. Do you post regular updates that interest people? Do you message people about it?

I know how hard it can be, but you can deffinitely get your game on hands of people for free. Developing the game is just part 1. Getting people to play it is another chapter in your game creation story, and something that is deffinitely manageable, but requires different skills.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is the game completed?
No, it's still in development currently. Do you think I should wait until I finish the game to get a cult following?

Four ways I know of:

1: Post an update on the thread. That will bump it and get it back into the list people see.

2: Play some other games, and add a link to your game in your signature. Those you play the games of just might check your game out in return.

3: Enter a review trade. We don't have any going on now, but those are ones where people sign up and are assigned to play someone else's game, and in return their game is assigned to someone to play and review as well.

4: Give copies to let's players or reviewers on the forum. We got three active ones right now, @HawkZombie , @Studio Blue and @Countyoungblood . Contact one of them and ask them to play the game.

Oh, I still update the game a bit... It doesn't seem to help much, though.

Oh, I don't know why I didn't think of that lol thank you though.

How do I enter a review trade? That sounds really fun lol

Wow, thanks for letting me know about those guys! I'm gonna wait until it updates to do that, but thanks! What you said really helped. :D

I would have said at least one or two points, but bgillisp said it the best way. When you start without a following, you need to keep sustaining your game to generate enough interest. Do you post regular updates that interest people? Do you message people about it?

I know how hard it can be, but you can definitely get your game on hands of people for free. Developing the game is just part 1. Getting people to play it is another chapter in your game creation story, and something that is definitely manageable, but requires different skills.

Do you think I should wait until the game is finished to start getting a cult following then?... I mean it's been in development for like a year... But do you think I should wait until the game's finished story wise?

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@hypershadic11 : Please don't triple post like you did, which is posting 3x under yourself. We would prefer you to use the edit button instead. Also it is easier to quote people if you use the @ symbol like I just did.

I merged your posts for you.

Now...since the game is still in development, I'd not worry about any of that at the moment. Worry about getting followers once you are near release, but until then since indie developers usually take a long time its not worth trying to gain followers now only to lose (pick a number)% of them due to the game taking too long to make. In fact, I've let my development thread sit for almost a year now as I am still wrapping up development, but once it gets close I'll start posting more and more updates then.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp I had no idea you could @ people here, sorry haha... I don't usually post on these forums, but thank you for managing my post for me. :)

And ok, I suppose I'll just focus on the game right now. Thank you for the tips, it really helped me understand what I should do right now.

eluukkanen

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bgillisp I had no idea you could @ people here, sorry haha... I don't usually post on these forums, but thank you for managing my post for me. :)

And ok, I suppose I'll just focus on the game right now. Thank you for the tips, it really helped me understand what I should do right now.
It is up to you fully when you start releasing your game to public, but remember that to keep people interested you need to feed followers with steady stream of updates. That is very hard often when game is not yet close to completion.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another thing to consider is in the event that you decide to share and develop at once (an early access phase, to be more precise) then you will probably want to provide information more frequently. I will save that concept for a separate discussion, however.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Today's my first login since Jan 2020. Time sure flies. Sorry to everyone's messages i missed.
It's satisfying to master the usage of a hard plugin, then making it do what you want. ( o w o)!!
I'll be redesigning some of the main characters from my many wip stories :kaohi:
gWBWMzT.jpg

Starting with the (chronologically) first of them, Cedric!
gotta love when a plugin you thought had nothing to do with why something else wasn't working winds up being the issue...
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th September 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackYonder