I published a game and somebody reported that the battle sprites don't work (RM2K3)

hotmikepence

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I tested my game several times on my own device and once on a friend's laptop and my custom battle sprites have always worked. Once I published the itch.io and gamejolt page, though, somebody reported that the battle sprites didn't show up and instead the actor's default sprite was there. Is this common? It seems like it might be an easy fix, maybe rearranging files or changing my export method.

Here is the link to the game if anyone want to look into the folders or something:
https://rileyhaspowers.itch.io/linesdemo
https://gamejolt.com/games/linesdemo/544315

Any advice or links to a similar solved thread is greatly appreciated! I looked already but didn't see anything right off the bat.

Cherry

RM2k(3) Developer (English Version)
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Do your sprite files have the same name as RTP files? I see RTP files in BattleCharset - maybe you overwrote your own files with the default ones (I heard this can also happen in the default export method)? It's never a good idea to use the same filename.

Also, check your ZIP file again, you have the game twice in there, there is another folder "Lines [Demo]" inside the first one with another copy of the game...

I'd recommend building your package like this:

1. Create a new folder for the export
  2. Copy the contents of your RTP from c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker 2003\RTP (or probably c:\Program Files (x86)\KADOKAWA\RPG Maker 2003\RTP if you have the non-Steam version) into the export folder
  3. Delete any files that you are sure you don't use
  4. Copy the contents of your actual project into the export folder, thereby merging the folders - overwrite any files that cause conflicts
  5. Open RPG_RT.ini in the export folder in a text editor and append this line (to stop the game from checking for the RTP):
    FullPackageFlag=1
  6. Zip the whole folder

By the way I'd recommend using MP3 instead of WAV for your music, it would reduce the filesize a lot.

Last edited:

hotmikepence

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Thank you so much! yeah, after I posted this I went and double checked my BattleCharset files and realized it was under Male Elf 2 or something, same as another RTP file. Thank you so much for the details, if the problem persists I'll refer to this.

And yeah, MP3s tended to give me the most trouble when it came to playback and WAV always worked. Not sure if that's a me problem or a 2K3 problem... there are at least a few files I can delete though, so hopefully that will help the file size.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My computer broke yesterday, so no RPG maker for at least a week until I can get it repaired. :(
Just wanted to share how my game won 1st place in a game jam for itch.io. Everyone else used Unreal, Unity, GMS2, Godot, etc but I used RPG Maker 2003 :guffaw: It just shows that you can create a good game and it doesn't matter which engine you use
Working on cutscenes~

if your game is the first (or ONLY) in a series and still has a colon in its title, you are a bad person and I hate you...... jk.

who could ever hate BETWEEN: TWO SOULS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuzzion