I wanna have an auto-runner part on my game but I'm struggling to do so.

tinyviolet

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanna have a traveling section in which the player is running on a looping map, like these endless runner games like Subway Surfers. I want the player to be able to move left and right but not up or down, and there will be events in the map that the player will have to dodge. I also want to, after a few minutes have passed, slow down the scrolling for a dialogue cutscene.

I tried making a parallel event which moves the player up on a vertical looping map but not only is the movement very choppy, I am unable to move left or right.

How could I do something like this?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would try...

1 - Do the "running" as an animated parallax

2 - Use a simple plugin to disable the up/down commands (examples have been posted before, including by me someplace...)

3 - Have the obstacles be events that you create on the map and move downward

The slowing down of the scrolling should be handled by the plugin for the animated parallax.

This is getting pretty far from what MV was designed to do, so you might have to get creative.

AnneLaurant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've designed something similar as a test for my game, but I don't have obstacles yet. Here's a preview:

If you're using the vanilla editor, you need at least six events for the autorunner:

1.) One parallel event to make the Player keep moving vertically:
AutorunnerVanilla01.png
2.) One parallel event to check if you've pressed the Left Arrow Key or Right Arrow Key, so the player can move the character horizontally:
AutorunnerVanilla02.png
3.) One parallel event that does something different, say, activates the cutscene, if a condition, say having gone through the loop 3 times, is met.
AutorunnerVanilla03.png
This event needs an extra empty page that turns on to stop the cutscene.

4.) At least three events that count if the player has looped (or just anything that ticks that counter). (The three marked blocks in the screenshot).
AutorunnerVanilla04A.png

AutorunnerVanilla04B.png

Note: Post edited to place images in spoilers.

Last edited:

thenerdmansion

Graphic Design/Complex Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was also getting some very choppy movement and almost wanted to give up but thanks to @AnneLaurant I managed to make my movement more smoothly. I would like to point out that that here event picture says Autorun but no. Make sure you make it a parallel process. Here is a sample of my results.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

render000.png
been using old character designs I had from high school for npcs in my game. seeing as the original idea of my game was a comic, I've got a LOT of designs for characters sitting around. a lot of people aren't a part of the story anymore, so I'll make 'em npcs.
I am doing the evaluation of the feedback from the students who played my game and the comments are killing me. "it was good, we just did not have any smart trains of thought" xD
My goal this month will be to get back to organizing assets and make a prototype scene with multiple airships hovering or flying over the world map.
Having a hard time getting playtesters for one of my Unity games. No one seems to be interested. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucifer821