lshot23432

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish/Español
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am making a game on rpg maker vx ace but I want to do things that simple events can't do and I plan to use this engine for future games too, so I wanna learn ruby for rpg maker vx ace. However the only guy who made videos about it on youtube deleted them all and sorta retired or something like that I dunno, but I need help. So does anyone have any other place to look, an advice on how to start or can anyone teach me if kind enough??

Thank you in advance.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Learning Ruby. Thank you.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a very helpful collection:

And this could maybe prepare you for later on:

lshot23432

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish/Español
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is exactly what I was looking for and this makes it so much easier, thank you so much.

This is a very helpful collection:

And this could maybe prepare you for later on:
This also is amazingly helpful thank you 2.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
However the only guy who made videos about it on youtube
Videos are a very bad way to learn scripting in any language.
that has a lot of reasons - not only because most video tutorials are simply too short and missing basic information, but especially because it is sometimes impossible to see what is written somewhere.

there was a case of a scripting video a decade ago where a user came here because he couldn't get anything to run from the code in the video.
and then it was discovered that the video was of such low quality that it was impossible to see where the code used (), [] or {}. And that is a very important distinction in programming.
In a text tutorial you can always copy the code if you can't read it correctly.

That said, you might also want to follow my old tutorial on "how to use a script" linked in my signature.
it will not teach you programming, but introduce you to the tips and tricks of using existing scripts and bughunting in them.
unfortunately an older forum update messed with the formatting for the code, but the important parts should still be readable.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
You can create new copies of Classes in Ruby but no Modules. That's because Modules are standalone chunks of code encapsulated inside something like this:

Ruby:
module Testing
  extend self
  attr_reader :once, :twice
  attr_accessor :thrice
end

So you can call its methods like this:

Testing.once
Testing.twice
Testing.thrice
Testing.thrice = "something here"

I gotta admit that the term thrice is quite archaic indeed. :wink:

Below you can see how you can embed a module inside any existing class.

Ruby:
module Random
  def value() rand(100) end
end

There it would be impossible to call Random.value because this module is being used as a simple namespace or storage room for the value method.

Ruby:
class Game_Map
  include Random
  def my_random_value() value * 3 end
end

After including it in the Game_Map class, you can now call the $game_map.my_random_value at any given time.

Just in case you haven't noticed this, in Ruby classes and modules are never closed. You can extend them at will at any moment.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Mixing different pixi filters over a picture. :MV3:

lumina_in_space.jpg

I don't know if my game dev skills are improving... But my waifu making ones sure are. :LZSwink:
Who wants to solve a riddle from my game?
"I prayed for her to lay down her worldly habit and accept the invitation to change her life forever." From lost to found. From past to present, From frown to smile. From the way people treat her as nothing but something to say wow about. From faithless to faithful. From something no one wants to something valuable, someone will respect and love. Thank you, Jesus.
Two new amazing plugins from @NhatNguyen! Footsteps & Stamina. Video on Twitter showcasing:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandrolion