I wanna make a game from RTP, anyone can give me advice to make a good simple RPG game?

Ronyun_Deren

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Simple good RPG game, maybe for 2-3 hours gameplay. I use RTP VX ACE resources. This game just for free to play and my first portofolio of game design. Anyone can give me some advice? Thank you. :esrs:

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is no definitive answer to a question like this. Figure out what you think is a good, simple rpg. What mechanics, story and other game-play elements you want and make that. If you run into trouble implementing whatever you want, the people on this forum are helpful.
But asking "How to make gud game?" is not something anyone can answer.

deus69xxx

Ultima Ratio Regum
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
consider the very beginning of dragon quest 3. it's got a castle, a town, a village, an island with a tower that holds a key to opening some locked doors, a cave that leads to the tower and the castle jail and to a spot near the village, another cave you need explosives behind a locked door in the village to blow up a wall to go deeper in, then out via teleporter to another country.

with monster tweaking, story and such, that part of the game could be made that long or longer.

so, ideally, make a landmass, dream up like 5 or 6 locations, think how they might all be connected storywise, and start dinking around! :D

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
my first portofolio of game design
The simplest answer? Sit down and start just making things. I managed to make a half hour game in a day using just RTP. Throw together maybe one or two dungeons, a town or two, maybe one more map of exploration (such as a world map or outside map connecting places). I find that just forcing yourself to do helps a lot with your first.

If you want any sort of plan, I like the 10x challenge I saw awhile back that takes advantage of the trial edition of RPG makers; max 10 maps, 10 events, 10 variables, 10 enemies, etc. It can help keep the game small and restrictions breed creativity.

I know it might sound silly, but don't do anything complicated ;) The default formula for damage is already quite simple, so just focusing on small, fun ideas and forcing yourself to shelve any complex ideas or anything that takes a lot of time can help a lot.

As for a plot, try to think of a single episode of a larger story. The above note of Dragon Quest 3 is great and that section of the game is probably about that long for a new player. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest also has a fairly simplistic beginning; Ignoring the first cutscene, you are helping a girl try to uncurse a forest, which leads to looking for medicine for the girl, which involves helping a ninja through a desert-themed cave. That's it, easy to swallow and fun story.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First thing: don't start with making the game, start with learning the engine.
and do this by making a scrap project you never finish, just to test what functions are possible and how events and the database work and so on.

Second thing: 2-3 hours is already big for a new user, I suggest targeting 1 hour for your first game.
In general and for an experienced developer people give an average of 100 developing hours for 1 hour of gameplay. and for a new user that often needs two or three times as much, without counting the time for learning the engine at all.

Third: I suggest you follow the link to the "starting point" in my signature, I wrote that tutorial a long time ago exactly for people new to the RPG-Makers and VXA.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone here know a @Sonheruu? Pop over to their forum activity for a sec lol
Game Making Every Day #19 :kaosalute:

Uploaded my short game to itch.io just to see how it works... It doens't. Failed to load IconSet.png it says.
Yeah okay. Not wasting another second on it. :\
I wonder if anyone would be interested in free character art from me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PBjel_ly