I want to make my own sprite, but how?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Zelavour, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Zelavour

Zelavour Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I want to make my own sprites because i dont want to use the basic RPG Maker ones.

I've tried Gimp but thats too much of a clutterfest to even know where what is and i tried it for 2 days and it just infuriated me, i cant do anything on there.

Is there something simple?
    I'm just looking for a free, grid based tool similair to Pixelart.com or Windowspaint.

Thanks.

2. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Unfortunately for you Windows default Paint - also known as MS Paint - is not the right tool to do sprites. First of all you need something that supports transparency and then you have to draw your sprite there. However sprites have many frames and you need a real grid to be able to properly align them.

GIMP is not the only software you can use, there are others like Paint.net or Photoshop. None of them is as simple as MS Paint, and that is because they have more features - that you need in order to create your own sprite.

That said GIMP is a very powerful software and since you have to learn something anew I recommend starting with it. Not only is it free but it also has a very nice community and a lot of plugins. Even if right now you do not understand how it works yet if you want to continue drawing your own graphics you have to rely on one of those programs. All of them are very similar, to the point that once you learn one of them you are more or less fine when using the others.

The sooner you get a grasp on how they work, the faster you can start producing your own graphics. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts when it comes to acquiring the necessary "know-how". Just take your time and learn. Nobody is born with knowledge and everybody has to start somewhere. There is no point in wanting to go straight to the end without knowing the basics, that is something that usually bites later on.

3. Zelavour

Zelavour Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I really don't have the patience for Gimp, it has too many tools all cluttering over eachother like Photoshop, its too overwhelming and i won't be using 90% of what it offers anyway. I tried it (with youtube tutorials) but it just pissed me off.

Isn't there somehting simple like Idraw from the Rpg Maker 2003 version?

4. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Graphics Gale Free Edition is awesome.
    Only the alpha Channel thingy is somehow strange in the free Version, but it still works.

Loading a Tileset, making a 48x48 Grid, Activating Snap, selecting rectangular selection,
    and with strg(control) + c or v , for copy paste.
    Making Tilesets was never easier, you can just select whole tiles thatway, and no need for pixel precise selecting toture =).

Sprites and Frankenspriting with existing Characters is also possible.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  5. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use Blender and GIMP to make my own sprites.

It takes efforts. Keep that in mind.

6. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Bex at some point in the last ~4 years, GraphicsGale went completely free. So if you want to dig into that, you can check it out here.

I'd say it's easier to use than GIMP, and specifically tailored for making small-ish animated sprites. It supports transparency, layers, and frames, plus some nice grid highlighting. There's still going to be a learning curve, but that's the price you'll pay for any actually useful editor.

Bex likes this.
  7. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have been doing a few drawings and I can say that there are very few tools you do not use. And if you think there are those you do not need just do not use them. Whenever you find a tool that you think you will not need skip its explanation and focus on another tool. The secret is not to let it overwhelm you.

Just learn the things you need and if there is a tool you skipped you will learn it when you need it.

8. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Graphics Gale is simple and should do the job for sprites.

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Asesprite is another program people here use to make sprites. I’d recommend looking into it.

10. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My eight year old uses GIMP. He starts it up loads an image, enlarges it and then uses the pencil and changes colors. I don't think he has ever used the other tools. He has played around with color menu to recolor things. If you focus on just a few things it is not hard to use. Later you can learn more if you choose.

Animebryan and Heirukichi like this.
  11. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you i did not notice that, will update it soon.

12. Zelavour

Zelavour Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thanks Graphics Gale is exactly what i needed, its pretty much like MSpaint.

And thanks to anyone else aswell.

13. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I use paint.net or aseprite.

14. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I use Pyxel edit as I like the feature of color suggestion, but I also use Aseprite as well as Photoshop.