I want to start a collaborative project. *Perfect for beginner users!

BustonCharts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americano
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you ever started a project, had a bunch of neat and clever ideas, but then smashed into a wall of "uhh, what next?" or "holy crap that idea I had will require so much work" and gave up? I've started about a hundred projects that have ended that way! (how I wish there was a way to merge projects, or at least databases!)

I had a dream* about a game that I realized could be modified to become a wonderful collaborative project that would utilize all that cleverness and hard work and actually result in a finished, playable, maybe amazing game that fully utilized RPG Maker MV and absolutely everything it can do!

... I don't have a good name for it! (\''. ) /

Anyway, the project! (I've never started a project oh god how do I write this uhhh)

OK! So, first we create the world, so we'll call this Stage 1! Then Stage 2 will be adding items, equipment and skills. Stage 3 will be about monsters and stats, and initial balancing. Stage 4 will be balancing and finalizing.

Stage 1
Rules: Only RPG Maker MV, no plugins
One 30x30 Map Per Person, at least
+ Up To 15x15 Indoor Maps if your map contains, for example, enter-able houses
One or Two Characters Per Person

The Map: Everyone contributes at least one 30x30 map using only base RPG Maker MV assets/mechanics. The map doesn't need to have any set theme, so please feel free to make anything you wish! Using, hopefully, your most clever and interesting ideas! I'll be the one to connect them all together, so also don't worry about making the map connectable to another.

Please post a picture of the map, and either email me the game or document the tile sets and scripting used, as well as any design notes. Also if you used overlapping tiles to create an effect please document that too!

If submitting multiple maps, please order them in most desired to be included to least. I originally planned on one map per person but then realized if participation is low then I should accept more maps.

The Character(s):

Everyone contributes one or two characters and documents their generator options. Characters with original assets are allowed, though I've never used those so I'll have to figure out how those work if you do!

This is just about the basics right now so Classes, Skills and Stats aren't important, but do feel free to add those if you desire.
If you do add those,

For Classes, provide the Name, idea behind it, and describe how it works; as well as the reasons why it does, if desired.
For example, "Knight Rider: This is a car-mounted Knight who wields single-handed firearms like Tec-9's. He should have high Strength*1, Defense*1, medium HP*2 and Agility*2, Medium-low Luck and low Magic, Magic Defense, MP*3
*1 He is in a car and wielding a gun, so he is strong, fast and is defended. *2 He is in a sedan with easily damaged wheels, and he must turn around, so his agility shouldn't be High and while he is defended, he is human and is driving a sedan, which is easily damaged. *3 He does not cast magic and is very vulnerable to it, being a normal human in a car. Especially weak to Lightning magic.

For Skills, describe the idea behind it. For example, "Fire Ball: This is a basic Fire-element magic skill. It is the weakest Fire magic spell but also the most expensive. Every mage knows it, but none should ever want to cast it.", will be balanced later as the weakest Fire magic spell in the game, but also the most expensive.

For Stats, you may either include them with the Class, or more complexly describe how they should be. For example, "Character is strong naturally, so has high Strength and through his Ranger training also knows how to wield Bows."

This section sounds over-complicated, but like I said, isn't necessary right now. Later on such descriptions will be used to balance the characters, class and skills, but right now only add these if you want.

Well, that's it I think.

If anyone wants to help me rewrite this to be simpler and more enticing, I'd be very grateful! I think it's a fun idea! I hope others do, too! This is a very formative idea that if it works out, or even if it doesn't, could lead to some very interesting future projects! Maybe people find others they want to collaborate with, find new ideas, or way in the future, we create a huge thing like a D&D campaign combined with Mario VLDC's - a world map with "stages", huge levels/quests, choices in paths, I dunno, more crazy ideas that require so much work...

my brainzzz. Anyway!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Contributions!?

I'm off to work on my own map!!!

*If you care, it was called 99 Idols Can't Bring Me to Heaven, or 33/99; 33 maps, 99 characters, a lost in the desert theme where you found randomly passed out characters based on idols (from all around the world) then woke up as a hobo in a shack at the end.

Fantasmi_Gammes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Si usa el MV pirateado, diga adiós al proyecto porque termina dando problemas después de un tiempo ... Si lo ha comprado, el proyecto es genial :p

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Project Recruitment. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

@Fantasmi_Gammes Please translate your post to English as these are English speaking forums. Thanks.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Game Making by Consent" (or mixing or polls or anything that doesn't have a clearly defined project leader) is not easy. It fails in 90% of all cases and in those cases where it didn't fail it had several long-term experienced professionals in the team who knew exactly how to prevent its traps. So starting it with beginners is not ideal if you ever want to see a result.
In fact there are several old topics discussing why projects failed and "not having a goal and a leader" is one of the most often cited reasons.

You can try, but I strongly suggest that you at least start with some fixed guidelines as to what to make.
With the rules set above you could end up with a mix of science-fiction, contemporary, medieval and stone age maps and characters as there is nothing to tell anyone what game they have to fit. And that will never work.

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Game Making by Consent" (or mixing or polls or anything that doesn't have a clearly defined project leader) is not easy. It fails in 90% of all cases and in those cases where it didn't fail it had several long-term experienced professionals in the team who knew exactly how to prevent its traps. So starting it with beginners is not ideal if you ever want to see a result.
In fact there are several old topics discussing why projects failed and "not having a goal and a leader" is one of the most often cited reasons.

You can try, but I strongly suggest that you at least start with some fixed guidelines as to what to make.
With the rules set above you could end up with a mix of science-fiction, contemporary, medieval and stone age maps and characters as there is nothing to tell anyone what game they have to fit. And that will never work.
Even if he ended they getting all of those different genres, they could still manage to make a game out of all of those. I, personally, would use, like, time warp portals or something, but my point is that it's possible.

BustonCharts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americano
Primarily Uses
RMMV

There is a goal: have fun! As I said, I and I presume many beginners and even long-time users have a ton of clever ideas for maps/mechanics/characters/etc. that never lead to or are incorporated into a full game. I absolutely want a ton of random mishmash worlds and ideas! (Or maybe people collaborate on their own and make connected maps and short stories!)

It's using only base RPG Maker MV assets, so limiting it to one type of world would be super boring. It's a good project for people to learn and play with mapping and creating (skills, characters, everything), play with RPG Maker, see others ideas, and be part of a completed game. It will assuredly be finished as it isn't strictly defined and controlled.

It's simple, it's chaotic, but I really believe it has promise, at least to be fun! Thinking about others seeing my map is making me really work hard on it, so hopefully ... !

It could also go absolutely nowhere! In that case, it's still a success as I learned what didn't work!

Even if he ended they getting all of those different genres, they could still manage to make a game out of all of those. I, personally, would use, like, time warp portals or something, but my point is that it's possible.
Connecting the maps is a really exciting idea for me. I have a lot of ideas on how I'd do that!

Si usa el MV pirateado, diga adiós al proyecto porque termina dando problemas después de un tiempo ... Si lo ha comprado, el proyecto es genial :p
Esta comprado. Cuál es una gran razón por la que quiero comenzar un proyecto; lo compré, ¡así que quiero aprovecharlo al máximo!

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Connecting the maps is a really exciting idea for me. I have a lot of ideas on how I'd do that!
Yeah, I'm glad! I've got some ideas for the name/storyline of the game. Maybe something to do with multiple dimensions and things like that?

BustonCharts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americano
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I'm glad! I've got some ideas for the name/storyline of the game. Maybe something to do with multiple dimensions and things like that?
You're in!? Awesome!

Dimensional travel would be cool and help give the project design direction. How about a chase across dimensions?

Make it one hero who changes with every new dimension, chasing one bad guy (who maybe also changes every dimension and there's a boss fight at the end of each one, but that has issues; it could over-complicate things, so maybe only occasionally you catch him and he always flees; had an idea for a whole new chase-across-dimensions game culminating in fighting a massive tentacled alien space terror at the end).

Maybe you have one hero and choose one character to bring every dimension shift.

I think I want to start two projects now. One completely random just play with RPG Maker and show us what you made, and another the reigned in dimensional travel chase with a story. Then a third where it's a standard Wizardry dungeon delve with contributed maps... And now I have a million other ideas...

Thanks! Got me thinking of a story now! Maybe people contribute story snippets, but make that unrequired, so there's no pressure to do that (it's difficult!).

Scene: Castle Walls, At Night

"I wonder what's out there? *sigh* Life in the castle is so stuffy. I wish I was allowed to travel freely."

"Then follow me, if you dare, dear Prince... Heh heh"

"Who goes there!?"

*portal opens*

"What the!?"

Silence. Or perhaps, a woman's voice, calling him, "Help me!".

He enters the portal, and begins his journey.

By the end he's longing to return home. "If you defeat me, then perhaps..."

Last edited:

BustonCharts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americano
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Working on my maps, so far have the intro, then he is teleported to a futuristic world. Mapping a city takes a while, as does scripting driving cars (when he teleports in, he's almost hit by one!).

Cities done, might remake it to incorporate lights. Next is adding NPC's, adding items to the markets, making the cars actually travel down roads which is gonna suck 'cause they gotta not crash and drive around for a long time and obey traffic lights (why did I decide to do that but oh well).

Thanks Alador for the dimension-hopping idea! Even if no one else contributes I'll keep working at it! If anyone does wanna contribute and needs an idea for the next locale, since it went medieval - future, how about stone-age? Or maybe a water world. Or a deserted island. And next map definitely needs a new recruit! (Whatever you want, but how about a hot female pirate or hot lady caveman?)

Last edited:

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're in!? Awesome!

Dimensional travel would be cool and help give the project design direction. How about a chase across dimensions?

Make it one hero who changes with every new dimension, chasing one bad guy (who maybe also changes every dimension and there's a boss fight at the end of each one, but that has issues; it could over-complicate things, so maybe only occasionally you catch him and he always flees; had an idea for a whole new chase-across-dimensions game culminating in fighting a massive tentacled alien space terror at the end).

Maybe you have one hero and choose one character to bring every dimension shift.

I think I want to start two projects now. One completely random just play with RPG Maker and show us what you made, and another the reigned in dimensional travel chase with a story. Then a third where it's a standard Wizardry dungeon delve with contributed maps... And now I have a million other ideas...

Thanks! Got me thinking of a story now! Maybe people contribute story snippets, but make that unrequired, so there's no pressure to do that (it's difficult!).

Scene: Castle Walls, At Night

"I wonder what's out there? *sigh* Life in the castle is so stuffy. I wish I was allowed to travel freely."

"Then follow me, if you dare, dear Prince... Heh heh"

"Who goes there!?"

*portal opens*

"What the!?"

Silence. Or perhaps, a woman's voice, calling him, "Help me!".

He enters the portal, and begins his journey.

By the end he's longing to return home. "If you defeat me, then perhaps..."
Working on my maps, so far have the intro, then he is teleported to a futuristic world. Mapping a city takes a while, as does scripting driving cars (when he teleports in, he's almost hit by one!).

Cities done, might remake it to incorporate lights. Next is adding NPC's, adding items to the markets, making the cars actually travel down roads which is gonna suck 'cause they gotta not crash and drive around for a long time and obey traffic lights (why did I decide to do that but oh well).

Thanks Alador for the dimension-hopping idea! Even if no one else contributes I'll keep working at it! If anyone does wanna contribute and needs an idea for the next locale, since it went medieval - future, how about stone-age? Or maybe a water world. Or a deserted island. And next map definitely needs a new recruit! (Whatever you want, but how about a hot female pirate or hot lady caveman?)
I'm glad I've inspired you! I may not get to my maps for a bit because I just got a brand new drawing pad, but I'll try! But, shoot, fantasy is taken already? Ok, Scifi mode activate!

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's mine!

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you need a hand with databasing (items, equipment, stats, enemies, skills, states, balancing, etc.), I might be able to lend a hand. combat mechanics (and any and all things related to it) is my specialty, not so much animations, but errthing else.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just saying - only RTP assets with no plugins is gonna be a big turn-off for a lot of people, though I do appreciate the challenge of making a good product with limited resources.

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just saying - only RTP assets with no plugins is gonna be a big turn-off for a lot of people, though I do appreciate the challenge of making a good product with limited resources.
indeed, this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What I've seen from the MZ tiles looks pretty inconsistent, bleh. Every plant seems to be drawn in a different style.
Recently posted a demo of my game online. Now I have no idea what to do with myself o_O What is the reason for my existence now...
I'm feeling a lot better this week. Some of the rules in my country for isolation changed a little, so I was able to see friends in person again, which was a huge relief. Thanks everyone for giving me some sympathy last week when I was having a rough time!
Psst, hey kid, I heard you like Golden Sun...
What is your problem procrastination and distraction? My problem is distraction and get burned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsallgoodman09