deathsia

Pegisister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is true, I've taken a look at yanfly's code and I see the word "prototype" in nearly every line of his code.

I like this think that this method of writing them is how he makes his plugins work so well with the engine and other plugins but in reality, it seems many other plugin makers have to "code around" his if they want their plugins to work with his.

It doesn't help that Yanfly is one of the most popular script writers for Ace and is quickly becoming the "go-to plugin maker for MV plugins" due to how many he's busting out which add features other plugin makers have already made but offer the luxury of not having to worry about them conflicting due to him designing them to work with his other plugins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Well the best step to take imo then would be to create stand alone versions of your plugins.

How to make a "standalone" version of a plugin would make them more compatible?

Your stand alone version of "Battle advantage" would require the user to edit the core JS files of the game's engine and add supplemental lines of code so it works in the background along with yanfly's. Sure, this isn't very "user friendly" but at the very least it provides the option to still use your plugins with yanfly's where conflicts arise.

Have you noticed something in common of my plugins? They never instructs the user to ever touch the code of the maker or the plugin code. All setup is done on the maker itself (or managing files and filenames in some cases),

I don't even use .json files for setup because of that. I make plugins for those who can't code. Even with the easy notetag setup people screw things, imagine having to edit things on the maker code itself? Where a single wrong placed comma means a crash?

Also, if people can edit the codes as you suggest, they could simply go and fix any incompatibility themselves. Most of them are generally caused by the plugins figthing over the same functions (For example Plugin A  makes it skip part of the code, but plugin B needs that skiped part to work), something like this could be fixed easily by the user if he was capable of coding. 

Anyway incompatibilities will always exist when different developers alias/overwrite/changes existing functions/methods.

What makes me upset is the fact of how people is spreading this nonsense that my pluings "have a reputation for having compatibility issues" when in reality it just a small subset of them (the animated battle related ones) is incompatible with another small subset (YEA battle engine plugins). It's not the first time I see this (and interesting enough, all times i saw someone saying that, they said that "it had a reputation" even though they didn't experience the issue themselves).

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Apparently, Battle Advantage was just incompatible with a plugin my game needs (And would probably break the game). I got the VE and Yanfly is incompatible thing when I turned everything off except the before mentioned random plugin and turned on both of VE's scripts and core and a couple of Yan's scripts and core. 

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Stating that "something is incompatible" doesn't help anyone. If you want something to be fixed, include stacktraces (press F8 to open console) and which plugins are involved. It might take a while for anyone other than Yanfly/Victor to find the reason, but at least there's a chance.

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Why don't you say exaclty what plugins you're turning "on and off"?

I have the YEP_CoreEngine, YEP_BattleCoreEngine, the 3 YEP_ActionSequences and the YEP_BattleStatusWindow.

None of them are incompatible with BattleAdvantage (there is only a minor glitch with enemies steping forward for wrong direction during back attacks/pincer attacks, but this is far from being game-break).

It's not a issue about "egines" it's a issue about specific, so instead of saying all the time "VE and YEP" (wich doesn't help in nothing to find the issue), what about giving them names to see what can be done about? There is no way to solve that without looking at the specific plugins.

Now if you can't give names of the exact plugins that is causing that, then helping is impossible.

And a hint: don't enable/disable several plugins at once. Do it one by one, testing each time to see if the enable/disabled plugin caused some issue. (yes, this is what people expect me to do with every plugin I release with each of the 70+ YEP plugins)

HintonR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"VE" and "YEP" are too board. It's kinda hard to test each of my 30+ plugins with each of the 70+ plugins (and for a proper test each of them need to be tested individually, just jamming 70+ plugins together is not the best way to debug things...)

[...]

So please people, if you don't know what you are talking about, stop spreading this nonsense rumors about "the victor's plugins have compatibility issues". If there is a incompatibility, it's a case by case, and this happens with every single plugin developer. Thank you!

I accidentally stumbled upon this thread because I was going to ask about the update you made for the basic module in 1.15 (since I just updated to 1.16 from 1.13. And read that you added more YEP compatibility. And wanted to ask what kinds of things were now supported or patched.

@Minun

But now I also wanted to say that most of Victor's plugins really aren't incompatible. Yeah, there are a few that conflict or have issues due to the nature of how YEP and VE overlap in some of the things they try to achieve. As I've only worked with RPG Maker MV for less than half a year, (but from Modding Skyrim/Fallout) Plugin Order is also crucial to weed out conflicts and or at least bypass errors that cause crashes. The caveat to this is that instead of actually fixing/patching up the problem, I end up brute forcing the plugins and sometimes (as I'm now around using 150 plugins) they don't always fully function as intended. The solution to this (which is another reason I've stacked up on so many plugins) is because I check other devs to see if they've written a similar plugin that could remedy my situation. 

The other thing is really pick and choose, and really reflect what kind of game you are making and does it need this or that feature. What would you gain and what would you lose? 

My VE/YEP example would be how I've traded a couple of YEP features for VE ones because I felt that my game would feel richer with some of Victor's Plugins. Like removing the Party Command from the Battle Scene from YEP_Battle Core. Because I value his Animated Battlers more than having another 'strategical' option just because I realized there are other ways of balancing my game than just allowing party members to swap in and out during battle. On the reverse, I didn't pick up VE's Charge Actions because my game demanded YEP's ATB system. The last story I have with incompatibilities was with VE's Animated Battler's not working with YEP's Action Sequences. It would keep crashing, until I looked at the crash report and figured the reason YEP kept crashing was because I set VE's plugin parameter for enemies to be Static. After switching to Animated the game stopped crashing except then I realized I didn't have art/resources to actually animate all my enemies... SO... I downloaded YEP's Animated SV Enemies and placed that after VE's Animated Battlers (while keeping the parameter to Animated [As I was too afraid for any more conflict]) And low and behold... I got to keep YEP's Action Sequences AND VE's Animated Battlers. However, with the lost of the Battle Camera. 

To be honest, I've had a lot more conflicts with various YEP plugins than VE ones. I know that there are conflicts with VE and YEP, but Victor isn't the only one that conflicts with Yanfly's stuff. But the best solution I've found (before diving into the JS) is to play around with the Plugin Order and if some functionality is lost search for replacement plugins to see for compatibility.  

And on a side note so as not to put a spot light on just Victor and Yanfly, because they are really wonderful devs and script writers. I've had conflicts with some Soulpour and Moghunter plugins just as much as I had conflicts with Victor and Yanfly. Everyone's doing their own thing, they don't have time to look at other people's work because it would only cause them to slow down. And for the most part, its hard to imagine 2 competing engines (not that they are actually 'competing') would ever be perfectly compatible. You don't see the Unreal 4 engine utilizing Luminous Engine tools. -- but from my point of view, current AAA engines are really hard to differentiate these days, because they offer the same functions with different tools. And that's the only analogy I can think about. Make the best game you can using the tools you are allowed -- and pick the best tools you can to make the best game you can. :)

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
And wanted to ask what kinds of things were now supported or patched.

Counter Actions, Death Counter, Dual Wield, Action Replace.

Those plugins wouldn't be compatibile with YEP BattleCore because they required some calls made on window battlelog, but the battle core bypassed those calls,

So I added some code on the basic module to make the YEP to call my functions, even when it ignores the original calls.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've been getting into YuGiOh again!
Gameboy Tiles, Cure Writer's Block, Animations on Menu, Generate Tasks | RPG Maker News #40

How would you judge a game you played? Art/Graphics? Story? Gameplay?
Learn MV sales goal = 2%
NSFW game sales goal = 2500% (no jokes) :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonTonyPepperoni