Iavra Generic Popup

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Iavra, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Description

Allows to display generic popups messages on the screen.

Author

Iavra

Parameters

@param Display On Scene
    @desc A comma-separated list of scenes where popups are allowed.
    @default Scene_Map, Scene_Menu

How to Use

To display a new popup, call the following function:

IAVRA.POPUP.popup(text, options, callbacks);

Where "text" is the text to be displayed, "options" is an optional object to override some or all of the default options and "callbacks" is an optional object to override some or all of the default callbacks. Any escape characters can be used inside the "text" parameter, but most will need to have their backslashes doubled.

The following options can be specified:

width
    Width of the popup window. It's height will be autofit to its content. Default: 200

duration
    How long the popup should be visible. The update callback can choose to ignore this value. Default: 100

lineHeight
    Overwrite lineHeight() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)

fontName
    Overwrite standardFontFace() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)

fontSize
    Overwrite standardFontSize() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)

padding
    Overwrite standardPadding() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)

textPadding
    Overwrite textPadding() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)

backOpacity
    Overwrite standardBackOpacity() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)

windowskin
    Overwrite loadWindowskin() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)

scenes
    Takes an array of scene classes and overwrites the value specified in "Display On Scene".

The following callbacks can be specified:

init(popup)
    Called after the popup has been created, but before text has been drawn on it.

update(popup)
    Called every frame. If this function returns a falsy value, the popup is removed. It has access to the popup duration and can either work with or ignore it.

remove(popup) Called when the popup is removed either by running out, clear() or because update() returned false.

To clear all popups, call the following function:

IAVRA.POPUP.clear();

Terms of Use

Free to use for both commercial and non-commercial games. Please give credit.

Download

http://pastebin.com/a9FERYYT

Notes

This plugin doesn't do much on its own, but is meant as a framework for other plugins and might be needed as a dependency for some of mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  2. Ramiro

Ramiro Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Just a suggestion than doesn't really change much of the pugin itself.

Try to use plugin commands too, pleople tend to use that now because it is a DSL so it's even easier to understand than javascript calls for non scripters.

They are quite easy to implement.

That doesn't mean you can keep both apis working of course, but "common" people won't use callbacks or advance functions so they can call it as:

IAVRA popup "my message"or

popup "my message"As a plugin command.

Another thing can be a way to edit in javascript the defaults at runtime:

IARVA.POPUP.configure({  textColor: '#ff0000', width: '120px', defaultCallback: function () {}});So if for some reason you need to  use multiple times multiple sets of configurations, the values are stored.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    Chickenlump likes this.
  3. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I will definitely implement the configure()-function, but i'm not sure about the plugin commands, since (i guess) it would split the message at spaces and i'll have to join it again. Might be worth the additional work to make it easier for the user, though.

Also, there is no "textColor" property, but you are free to use any kind of control characters, since the popup uses drawTextEx internally ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  4. wizaerd

wizaerd Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    Where do these popups pop up at?  I assume the same location as the event itself? Is there anyway to configure a location for the popup to pop up at?  And if so, will it work with your tweening plugin to have the popup move?

5. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Development of this plugin is currently on hiatus (and has a fair amount of errors and badly formatted code in it), while i'm working on a similar, but different plugin.

6. wizaerd

wizaerd Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    Since I'm already following this thread, will you post here when you either pick it back up, or complete and make available the similar but different plugin?

7. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I updated the OP with a new version of this plugin. Since i wanted to keep it generic, it has evolved in more of a framework that might be used by some of my future plugins.

The default callbacks only display a popup in the upper left corner (0, 0), but i included a short demo, that can be used to get a feeling of the possiblities this provides. It displays popups in the lower left corner, pushing older ones upward whenever a new popup gets displayed and has them fading out, instead of just vanishing.

8. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    The plugin has been updated and i will ask a mod to move it to released plugins. Note, that this is not meant to be used alone, but rather as a framework for other plugins that want to display popups/notifications and don't want to deal with it.

I'll soon probably write a plugin that shows loot popups and will make use of this.

9. EnMod

EnMod noelquiles.com Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm confused, is the demo link also located in the OP? Not seeing it from my end.

10. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    The demo was included in the old version of the plugin, as a test function to be called. I removed it, when the plugin got moved to release.

11. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Can you give me a hint on how to do this?

12. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've just tried to use the script, but it isn't doing anything.

Plugin command:

IAVRA.POPUP.popup(gold, options, callbacks);

(Gold used to be "\V[23]" but that didn't do anything on its own so I put put "gold" for testing for now, and it still doesn't do anything)

The plugin is enabled.

The area it is calling works, I can get a regular textbox to show.

I also tried just:

IAVRA.POPUP.popup(gold);

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
  13. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I will probably remake the plugin at some point (again), as it's probably a bit too generic for normal usage.

EternalShadow likes this.
  14. ramza

ramza Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't seen an update on this in quite a while, and I was looking for a feature upgrade, but it doesn't look like iavra's been a round for a while so I went ahead and did it myself.

I have modded in the ability to set the x/y position on a window by window basis. There didn't seem to be a way to do this included in the original plugin, and my attempts to alias it in my own plugin to add this in were fruitless, so I modified iavra's plugin.

Here is the code:
    Code:
    /*:
     * @plugindesc version 1.00R Allows to display generic popups messages on the screen.
     * <Iavra Generic Popup>
     * @author Iavra, Ramza
     * @param Display On Scene
     * @desc A comma-separated list of scenes where popups are allowed.
     * @default Scene_Map, Scene_Menu
     * @help
     * To display a new popup, call the following function:
     * IAVRA.POPUP.popup(text, options, callbacks);
     * Where "text" is the text to be displayed, "options" is an optional object to override some or all of the default
     * options and "callbacks" is an optional object to override some or all of the default callbacks. Any escape characters
     * can be used inside the "text" parameter, but most will need to have their backslashes doubled.
     * The following options can be specified:
     * width         Width of the popup window. It's height will be autofit to its content. Default: 200
     * duration      How long the popup should be visible. The update callback can choose to ignore this value. Default: 100
     * lineHeight    Overwrite lineHeight() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)
     * fontName      Overwrite standardFontFace() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)
     * fontSize      Overwrite standardFontSize() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)
     * padding       Overwrite standardPadding() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)
     * textPadding   Overwrite textPadding() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)
     * backOpacity   Overwrite standardBackOpacity() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)
     * windowskin    Overwrite loadWindowskin() in Window_Base, use default if empty. Default: (empty)
     * xPosition     Sets the X position of the popup window
     * yPosition     Sets the Y position of the window
     * scenes        Takes an array of scene classes and overwrites the value specified in "Display On Scene".
     * The following callbacks can be specified:
     * init(popup)   Called after the popup has been created, but before text has been drawn on it.
     * update(popup) Called every frame. If this function returns a falsy value, the popup is removed. It has access to the
     *               popup duration and can either work with or ignore it.
     * remove(popup) Called when the popup is removed either by running out, clear() or because update() returned false.
     * To clear all popups, call the following function:
     * IAVRA.POPUP.clear();
     * Changelog:
     * V1.00R:
     * -Added extra options to set the x/y position of the popup window
     * V1.00
     * -Initial Release
     */

var Imported = Imported || {};
    Imported.iavra_generic_popup = true;

//=============================================================================
    // namespace IAVRA

var IAVRA = IAVRA || {};

(function() {
        "use strict";

/**
         * Since PluginManager.parameters() breaks when the plugin file is renamed, we are using our own solution.
         */
        var _params = $plugins.filter(function(p) { return p.description.contains('<Iavra Generic Popup>'); })[0].parameters;

/**
         * All scenes where popups should be displayed. Whenever a scene gets active that isn't in this list, all popups
         * will be removed.
         */
        var _displayOnScene = _params['Display On Scene'].split(/\s*,\s*/).filter(function(scene) {
            return !!scene;
        }).map(function(scene) { return eval(scene); });

/**
         * Default options to be used when a new popup is created. Can be overwritten for every popup by passing an object
         * containing some or all of the keys.
         */
        var _defaultOptions = {
            width: 200,
            duration: 100,
            lineHeight: undefined,
            fontName: undefined,
            fontSize: undefined,
            padding: undefined,
            textPadding: undefined,
            backOpacity: undefined,
            windowskin: undefined,
            xPosition: 0,
            yPosition: 0,
            scenes: _displayOnScene
        };

/**
         * Default callbacks to be used. Can be overwritten for every popup by passing an object containing some or all of
         * the keys.
         */
        var _defaultCallbacks = {
            init: function(popup) {},
            update: function(popup) { return popup.duration-- > 0; },
            remove: function(popup) {}
        };

/**
         * MV's WindowLayer has issues with windows that are overlapping each other, so we use Pixi's base class directly.
         * We declare the following methods on the container:
         * update()      Calls update() on all popups. Integrates the container in MV's engine.
         * remove(popup) Removes a popup from the container and calls its "remove()" callback, if any.
         * clear()       Removes all popups from the container and calls their "remove()" callbacks, if any.
         */
        var _container = (function($) {

$.update = function() {
                this.children.forEach(function(popup) { popup.update(); });
            };

$.remove = function(popup) {
                popup._callbacks.remove(popup);
                this.removeChild(popup);
            };

$.clear = function() {
                this.children.forEach(function(popup) { popup._callbacks.remove(popup); });
                this.removeChildren();
            };

return $;
        })(new PIXI.DisplayObjectContainer());

/**
         * Utility function that takes 2 objects and iterates over all keys in the first one. If the second object contains
         * that key, its value is taken, otherwise we take the default. The result is merged to a new object and returned.
         */
        var mergeOptions = function(defaults, options) {
            options || (options = {});
            return Object.keys(defaults).reduce(function(map, key) {
                map[key] = options[key] !== undefined ? options[key] : defaults[key];
                return map;
            }, {});
        };

// module IAVRA.POPUP

IAVRA.POPUP = {

/**
             * Adds a new popup with the given text to the container. "options" and "callbacks" are optional objects, that can
             * be used to overwrite the default options and callbacks.
             */
            popup: function(text, options, callbacks) {
                _container.addChild(new IAVRA.POPUP.Window_Popup(text, options, callbacks));
            },

/**
             * Clears all popups, calling their "remove()" callbacks, if specified.
             */
            clear: function() {
                _container.clear();
            }

};

// class IAVRA.POPUP.Window_Popup

IAVRA.POPUP.Window_Popup = function() { this.initialize.apply(this, arguments); };
        (function($) {
            ($.prototype = Object.create(Window_Base.prototype)).constructor = $;

/**
             * Creates a new popup window. The given options and callbacks (if any) are merged with the default values and the
             * popup height is calculated by splitting the given text at newlines.
             */
            $.prototype.initialize = function(text, options, callbacks) {
                this._options = mergeOptions(_defaultOptions, options);
                this._callbacks = mergeOptions(_defaultCallbacks, callbacks);
                var height = this.fittingHeight(text.split('\n').length);
                Window_Base.prototype.initialize.call(this, this._options.xPosition, this._options.yPosition, this._options.width, height);
                this._callbacks.init(this);
                this.drawTextEx(text, 0, 0);
            };

/**
             * Calls the update callback and decreases the popup duration by one. If either the callback returns false or the
             * duration has run out, the popup is removed. It's up to the callback to handle any kind of fading or positioning
             * needed.
             */
            $.prototype.update = function() {
                Window_Base.prototype.update.call(this);
                this._callbacks.update(this) || _container.remove(this);
            };

/**
             * Accessor for the duration of the popup.
             */
            Object.defineProperty($.prototype, 'duration', {
                get: function() { return this._options.duration; },
                set: function(value) { this._options.duration = value; }
            });

/**
             * Overwrite lineHeight
             */
            $.prototype.lineHeight = function() {
                return this._options.lineHeight !== undefined ? this._options.lineHeight : Window_Base.prototype.lineHeight.call(this);
            };

/**
             * Overwrite standardFontFace
             */
            $.prototype.standardFontFace = function() {
                return this._options.fontName !== undefined ? this._options.fontName : Window_Base.prototype.standardFontFace.call(this);
            };

/**
             * Overwrite standardFontSize
             */
            $.prototype.standardFontSize = function() {
                return this._options.fontSize !== undefined ? this._options.fontSize : Window_Base.prototype.standardFontSize.call(this);
            };

/**
             * Overwrite standardPadding
             */
            $.prototype.standardPadding = function() {
                return this._options.padding !== undefined ? this._options.padding : Window_Base.prototype.standardPadding.call(this);
            };

/**
             * Overwrite textPadding
             */
            $.prototype.textPadding = function() {
                return this._options.textPadding !== undefined ? this._options.textPadding : Window_Base.prototype.textPadding.call(this);
            };

/**
             * Overwrite standardBackOpacity
             */
            $.prototype.standardBackOpacity = function() {
                return this._options.backOpacity !== undefined ? this._options.backOpacity : Window_Base.prototype.standardBackOpacity.call(this);
            };

/**
             * Overwrite loadWindowskin
             */
            $.prototype.loadWindowskin = function() {
                if(this._options.windowskin !== undefined) {
                    this.windowskin = ImageManager.load(this._options.windowskin);
                } else {
                    Window_Base.prototype.loadWindowskin.call(this);
                }
            };

return $;
        })(IAVRA.POPUP.Window_Popup);

// class Scene_Base

(function($) {

/**
             * Registering our container in every scene, on top of regular windows.
             */
            var _alias_createWindowLayer = $.prototype.createWindowLayer;
            $.prototype.createWindowLayer = function() {
                _alias_createWindowLayer.apply(this, arguments);
                this.addChild(_container);
            };

/**
             * When terminating the scene, we remove all popups, that shouldn't be displayed on the next scene.
             */
            var _alias_terminate = $.prototype.terminate;
            $.prototype.terminate = function() {
                _alias_terminate.apply(this, arguments);
                _container.children.forEach(function(popup) {
                    popup._options.scenes.some(function(scene) { return SceneManager.isNextScene(scene); }) || _container.remove(popup);
                });
            };

})(Scene_Base);

// module SceneManager

(function($) {

/**
             * We don't want popups to appear on background images, since they are either removed by Scene_Base.terminate() or
             * will probably fade our while the background still shows them. So we hide the container during the snapshot.
             */
            var _alias_snapForBackground = $.snapForBackground;
            $.snapForBackground = function() {
                _container.visible = false;
                _alias_snapForBackground.apply(this, arguments);
                _container.visible = true;
            };

})(SceneManager);

})();

If this isn't alright I'll take it down.

Attached Files:

Chaos17 likes this.