Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Description

Allows to store notetags in text files and reference them from database objects and events.

Author

Iavra

Parameters

@param File Path
@desc Path of the file to load. Multiple files can be specified when separated by commas. Default: data/notes.json
@default data/notes.json

@param Notetag
@desc Tag used to load metdata from files. Default: textnote
@default textnote

How to Use

Note: This plugin has to be placed below everything else that deals with DataManager.extractMetadata().

Create one or more files and store their locations inside the "File Path" parameter, separated by comma. The files are formatted like this:

{
"key1" : "some notes",
"key2" : "some more notes",
"key3" : [
"notes with",
"linebreaks"
]
}

JSON itself doesn't allow real linebreaks inside Strings, but you can use an array, instead, which will automatically be converted to a single String with linebreaks.

Inside your database objects and events, you can reference these entries like this:

<textnote key1>

If "textnote" is already in use by another plugin or you want to use a different notetag, you can change it with the "Notetag" plugin parameter".

Terms of Use

Free to use for both commercial and non-commercial games. Please give credit.

Download

http://pastebin.com/e465Ucdf

Notes

The plugin originated from this request: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49035-load-notesnotetags-from-text-files/

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Works wonderfully. Thanks again for taking on this request.

Bicept

Jack of Most Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is great!

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've noticed a tendency of the game to hang upon initial (test) start after I've altered the JSON files associated with this plugin.

I am only guessing, as it seems totally intermittent, or I would spend time trying to isolate it. And it doesn't help now that I have all my note tags externalized, I can't play test without this plugin!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Start-up might take a bit longer, since i'm loading additional files and replace all tags with their content. The only part that could really make the game "hang" (as in, not even showing the "Now Loading" text) would be in DataManager.extractMetadata(), but since this is only ever called inside an Ajax call, it shouldn't really affect the game.

The main problem here is, that i start loading my files the moment DataManager loads its own. extractMetadata is called, when a file has been loaded asynchronously and i need to make sure, that my files have already been loaded, so i pause the thread (in a pretty...rough way, i'll admit). All lags might be solved by adding a small wait to the loop, so it doesn't have the tendency to blow-up memory usage.

/edit: I fixed the issue by properly using callbacks instead of horrible, empty loops (don't do this...ever). I'll add comments and will update the plugin in the next few minutes.

//edit: The plugin has been updated. Please note, that it probably has to be placed below everything other plugin that deals with DataManager.extractMetadata() to work correctly (shouldn't be too many, if any).

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the quick update!

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Fixed a bug that caused the last version of this plugin to not work at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

finally, the B-tile is added to the forum and steam!
I hope my annual #DoItForHargon contest gets lots of entries this year (since a Playstation 5 is a pretty big prize lol) XD On further news - I'm back to game devving next week after hiatus cause of that tragedy of losing everything I own.
Rome Trastevere deserve a tileset. Mumble mumble...
Before the full time job, I can make 1 MZ plugin per day, even though it's still hard; With the full time job, making 1 such plugin per week becomes just as hard lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adafon