Ce'wyndia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all,
Have another silly question I think :) I am wanting to make a custom icon set. I know mv icons are 32 x 32. I found the perfect I icons and purchased it. Problem is they are 256x256 and when I scale em down they are just bad. I thought scaling down wasn't as bad on quality as scaling up. Can any one please tell me if there is a trick or a special program to scale 256x256 down to 32x32 with hardly any loss of quality. There has to be away :) thank you

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What are you using to scale down? Gimp and Photoshop should have a decent scaling method. That said, 256x256 has 64 times more details than 32x32, so of course it's not going to be as detailed and high quality.

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you resize a raster image, you're going to lose quality/detail regardless of which way you're scaling it. Going from 256px to 32px is a big jump. Check and see if the icon set you purchased includes vector file formats (.ai, .eps), as that may yield you a better result.

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
To get the most out of them, you could consider using a plugin tho, to show an enlarged image of the icon.
Yanfly has such a plugin: http://yanfly.moe/2017/01/14/yep-123-item-picture-images-rpg-maker-mv/
You will just need to save the original icons separately.

You will still need aswell 32x32 icons, but upon selecting a specific item in the menu, there is then also the larger image shown.

Ofc it's to be considered, if the additional file size (due to saving item images separately) is worth it.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
[mod]Since you didn't purchase this set through Degica, this doesn't really go in product support. It's not a Degica product after all. :LZYsmile: So I'm going to move this over to Resource Support. Please do your best to place your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you![/mod]
MushroomCake and Kenen are right, when you scale down you're going to lose information, there's no way to avoid this. Most of the time it's not an issue, because most of the time things don't get scaled down so far. But around 200x200 and under, each individual pixel starts to matter, and at 32x32, that guesswork and blending the computer has to do to scale things down muddies things up until there's no details at all. That's why pixel art is still useful, it's a style that uses each pixel to its fullest, normal art isn't as clear under such tiny conditions. If you were starting out with something smaller, say 64x64, the results wouldn't look too bad, but 256x256 is too big of a jump.

Morganis

Ce'wyndia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for your advice and tips.
Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2021? I still wonder if people still doing MV than MZ more
Seeing a lot more active Ace topics recently, is it making a comeback? :o
0-7, left-to-right, top-to-bottom
As soon as I'm able to get out of bed I'm probably gonna go so hyper from being too cooped up, and burn myself out into another awful flare. lol
It makes me feel proud whenever an RM game does well. Even though I had nothing to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krunga