I'd pay money hand over fist for a strategy RPG version of RPG Maker, would you?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by GethN7, Feb 9, 2017.

?

Would you pay for a SRPG version of RPG Maker

1. Yes

96.2%
  2. No

3.8%
  1. GethN7

GethN7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have to admit one of the things I would dearly love to do is create a strategy RPG, like Disgaea, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Super Robot Wars, etc.

Unfortunately, the stock RPG Maker engine just is not equipped to do so, and even extensive scripting has left options for all the available makers I find clunky.

Long ago, there was a Sim RPG Maker 95, never translated officially, but it would be perfect, if it wasn't ancient, illegal to download, and 16-bit, as well as lacking options for scripting and customization.

And I severely a doubt a mere "engine" DLC for either VX Ace or MV would suffice either, since there are many subsystems of a SRPG that just do not parse well in either engine by default, like pathfinding. Battles also don't work in the manner that a SRPG would at all, and all ways I can think of modifying the existing engines I mentioned still would not work as well as a battle engine custom tailored for SRPGs.

So I would love for either VX Ace or MV spinoff of their RPG Makers to serve as a modern day, legit SRPG Maker, compatible with the resources of their other RPG Makers (which provides a lot of usable resources right off the bat).

Also, I checked, the market for that could be very easily cornered since there are hardly any SRPG creation engine available, either freely available or commercial, that could come remotely close (the one mentioned above that is beyond ancient) to being suitable.

And so I think the RPG Maker devs could earn a lot of cold, hard cash if they made a SRPG variant of RPG Maker for the modern day, complete with scripting flexibility and modern code (assuming they still have the source of their old SRPG creator lying around and want to use it as a base).

I know they'd definitely have me as a customer, how about anyone else?

Roden124, kaukusaki and Banjo like this.
  2. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Absolutely! I would buy that for sure.

I remember playing with the old Sim RPG Maker 95 (waaaay back when I first discovered RPG Maker in the "Don Miguel" days before there was an official English translation of *anything*) and it was pretty cool, but it still wasn't as developed as RPG Maker was even back then. As stated, it was 16-bit too, making it a pain to even use these days even if you wanted to, and had a lot of hardcoded limitations.

I'm honestly surprised there's never been an update to that program, especially in the 2000/2003 era of RPG Maker when those seemed to be so wildly popular. With the huge advances made in VX Ace and MV, a modern Sim/Strategy Maker would be wonderful. A lot of the same code could be used, I'm sure; it's really the "AI" (i.e. enemy automation) part of the programing that RPG Maker lacks and that is needed more than anything else.

When I got MV last year, I actually went looking for at least scripts or "engines" to make SRPGs with it. There are some, true, but not a lot and nothing in the realm of "ease of use" that a dedicated SRPG Maker would bring. Certainly not something a beginner would want to start with, in the way RPG Maker has always been great for introducing beginners and non-programmers to RPG game making.

I saw talk of a "Visual Novel Maker" being worked on? Another surprise; I think a Strategy Maker would sell a LOT better as a product, since there are already good visual novel creators (e.g Ren'Py) available, and mostly for free, but *nothing* exists that can make SRPGs or tactical games easily.

I personally remember RPG Maker most from the days of it being more of a "making games for fun" hobby, but now it seems many folks seek to sell their games as commercial products. With seemingly dozens of RPG Maker games popping up for sale on digital distribution sites now, it would surely be good if people were able to create and sell games that *weren't* RPGs as easily as they can make RPGs.

Right now, the only alternative I can think of in the same ballpark is Game Maker, but there's a reason almost nobody uses that to make RPGs in favour of RPG Maker: RPG Maker (any version) is designed specifically for that job. If there was a Strategy Maker designed for *that* style of game, I'd be shocked if it didn't not just sell, but see a rise in the number of strategy games being made and sold.

I suspect a SRPG Maker could even be leveraged into making other styles of games too, in the same way RPG Maker has been by skilled users in the past... I already can imagine using an SRPG engine to make a non-combat "top down adventure game" in the style of 'Dreamweb' or even a top-down shooter in the style of 'Chaos Engine', with enough work and tweaking.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Alexander Amnell, Roden124 and GethN7 like this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't think this is sufficiently tied in with the general theme of this particular forum. Discussion of what would make a nice engine is interesting, but this section is more for discussing questions about games people are making/want to make now. So...

I've moved this thread to General Lounge. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

GethN7 likes this.
  4. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I like this idea.

My thoughts are that MV and perhaps VX Ace are still on the front-burners for most of the company's resources.

However, I think it is a good idea, maybe for a secondary developer to start writing and then bring it to the main board for some sort of approval process.

GethN7 likes this.
  5. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It would be awesome if they made an srpg maker. I knew of sim rpg maker (imported it) but its so limited and i technically couldn't do much with it
    Tried forcing ig maker and vx ace and mv to do it but it's not working how i like. Also own gm and its a major headache. Maybe they'll get around to it once vnm is released. .. We'll see...

6. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've wrote four scripts for MV so far and 2 of them seem to work, so I'm feeling cocky today. How how soon do you need it?

The only strat RPG I like is Vandal Hearts 1 from PS1 so my vision for this script is like that, only not 3D.

I got the time.

EDIT: After a quick Google, I can already see a bunch of "TBS" RPG Maker games on Youtube. You should probably look into those.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    kaukusaki likes this.
  7. dragon1up

dragon1up Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You do relise there's an engine just for this right ? SRPG Studio ? It does exactly what you're after but is JAP only but people have worked on an English database for translations.

8. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I say no because there are already a heck ton of TBS scripts out there. I'm happy with Ace and I'm not trying to buy a new engine just for one feature. I'd don't like grid-based battle systems anyway. They're confusing. If it were a tower defense engine, however, I'd fork over the money in a heartbeat.

byronclaude and Reapergurl like this.
  9. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Like HexMozart, I am a huge fan of Ace... still... and will be for a long time. I find the event system intuitive, and have learned how to manipulate that system along to do some incredible things including some strategy works.

However...

As a person who owns all of the american release RPG Makers for PC, IG Maker, and several other engines... I can say that if Kadokawa was to release a version of RPG Maker catering to Strategy RPGs, I am certain I would buy it just to play with new functionality. This is partly because I feel that Enterbrain/Kadokawa engines allow me to do nice work... so I am automatically inclined to give anything new by them a chance.

Reapergurl likes this.
  10. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it possible to do a SRPG in RPG Maker? Yes, with scripts/plugins.
    Is it possible to do a VN in RPG Maker? Yes, but Degica is releasing VN Maker anyway (even with free alternatives).

Is it possible to do SRPG with other engines, like Game Maker? Off course, but you would need to work on a lot of code for that.

What @GethN7 is asking is not if it is possible to do on what we already have, but for an engine made for it. Even a basic one with the possibility of JS plugins to build upon would sell well because, as said before, there isn't one engine that focus on SRPG, so it is a whole new market to explore.

Reapergurl likes this.
  11. HeroLite

HeroLite stinky weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hm, perhaps! you can pull it off with already made scripts though, so i'm not sure if the big boys up top would see any benefit in creating a sprg maker. yeah, you could say the same with how it's possible to make vns in rpg maker, but you gotta understand: visual novels are huge money makers over in the land of the rising sun. they're a staple of moe culture, which is taking over japan more and more by the day, while srpgs are just something that get made every once in a while, normally for a long running series like disgaea and fire emblem, so they already have a fanbase established that are willing to buy. you could argue that fans of those might wanna have shot at making their own, so they might buy, but there's always a gamble that it won't be enough to net a profit.

the sheer facts doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool as hell though, i'd totally love to have a shot at making a srpg in a super easy way. it'd be way awesome to get one.