AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I've been toying around with the idea to make a JRPG (obvious since we're all on the subject of RPG Maker here), that takes place in an open world that takes place in a sci-fi setting with lore and plot beats mirroring that of "Breath of the Wild" and "MOTHER 3" and possibly those of the "Hoshi wo Miru Hito" to make things interesting.

The game starts with a text scroll describing the world and some sort of evil force not unlike Dark Force from Phantasy Star and then something about four heroes. Then the player picks four party members a la Final Fantasy I and thus is thrust into the world.

The game's open world will be divided into layers with the player starting in a central town in the middle of the map, the inner layers built up of rings of enemy encounter zones and geography, the inner most layers being the easiest and the outer ones the hardest. Towns are few and far between and this is meant to get the player to obtain equipment and items via a crafting system (Thank you @casper667 for creating the plugin that would allow for this). Recipes for said items and equipment can be found in dungeons or bought from scattered Rest Stops similar to the stables from Breath of the Wild.

Plot beats will mostly take the form of fighting through 4 maybe 6, 8, depending on how much stuff I want to put in each with a different theme with bosses (no duh) and each dungeon having a master of some sort (think the magypsies from MOTHER 3 or the champions from BotW). Besides having a main vilian there will also be a side character mirroring the Masked Man from MOTHER 3 who is also going through the same dungeons as you and then its realized that said character was went to be one of the four heroes but had gone down a path and thus wants to defeat the dark force for her/his own personal reasons, this side character will also be the boss before fighting the Dark Force, upon defeating the Dark Force its revealed that whole thing is a just an experiment by some aliens, mirroring the end of Hoshi wo Miru Hito, you have a choice of either joining the aliens, going back to Earth, or fighting the captain of the alien spaceship, each choice leading to a different ending.

I also plan the soundtrack to be the midis from RPG Maker VX and 2000 because I want the soundtrack to have a retro vibe and also I feel those soundtracks have a better range of emotions and situations to compliment cutscenes and dungeons and so on so forth.

Much like games that I've made previously, sidequests can be found at inns or those scattered rest stops and can be useful for obtaining equipment or recipes for crafting.

Classes will be renamed and slightly retooled versions of those default with RPG Maker MZ.

As of right now this project is still in early pre-production and thus there is a lot of finer details missing other than major plot beats and mechanics. If anyone has any thoughts go right ahead and share them.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So with some iteration the masked man character will be a character named PT Boomer and he is a cross between Gary Oak and Anakin Skywalker.

The champions/magypsies will be called Dungeonmasters and there will be six elemental themed dungeons each with a crystal kept within, PT Boomer will take 3 crystals and the player takes three and obtains the other three in a boss encounter in the Dark Force's dungeon. The six crystals seals Dark Force and then the crystals unlock a special teleporter that brings you to space and then you come upon the alien starship.

This confirms that the game would combine elements from BoTW, MOTHER 3, and Hoshi wo Mitu Hiro.

Fun Fact: PT Boomer's name comes from a character cut from the first cut of the film "Thomas and the Magic Railroad"

Another thing is that in order to facilitate the open world the game's plot will not be as involved as in my previous projects.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Interesting week. Lots of stress and anxiety especially on Tuesday but still got thru it. How is everyone doing?
I was pleased with how the little ... whatever those square bits like upside-down turrets on the skirt are? I like how they turned out. Here's a little ranger/bandit/archery enthusiast to model it:

TestChara-08.gif

I'm calling her Robin because obviously.
Just downloaded the demo and boy howdy are my arms tired (???) :kaohi:
I just watched a trailer for the upcoming 2021 JRPG Fantasian. They demonstrated an interesting mechanic where random encounters can be sent to a stockpile instead of fighting them right away, which can be emptied in a single battle string at the player's choice of timing.
"The pleasure from the senses seems like nectar at first, but it is sour as the toxin in the end." -Kirshna

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drackdragon113