RMMV Idea for First Project

Anubis05

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone!

I have been and still am learning to use the program, but after many tutorials, and many trials and errors, I feel like I could start a little project, just to see what I can achieve. I’d like to tell you my idea and it would be great if you could give me some feedback. I think is a simple concept, but it could totally become overwhelming if I try to do too many things, and some guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of days ago, while I was practicing mapping a campfire in the woods, I came up with the following:

“An unnamed character has set up his camp and is ready to spend the night camping. He looks at the night sky and sees a beautiful full moon. In the middle of the night, the moon turns red and a strange sound is heard. When the protagonist gets out of the tent to see what happened, he finds out that the exit is completely blocked by trees. Apparently this is no ordinary forest.”

The objective of the game is to survive the night. I have thought of a time system in which 5 real-life minutes equal 1 hour in the game. For a total of 12 in-game hours, 1 real-life hour that is. But I’m ‘not too sure it’s a good idea, maybe the passing of hours should be handled differently, more like “Oh look! It’s 1am already” instead of having an actual timer, but idk. As hours pass, certain events will trigger. The gameplay will mainly consist of collecting materials (wood, rocks, leaves, etc.) However, depending on your actions (cutting too many trees, killing a rabbit, etc.), stuff will happen. Like being chased by a bear, and depending on the tools you have at your disposal, different possibilities of survival will be available (If you have a shovel, you could dig a hole for the bear to fall into, if have discovered a hidden passage, you could hide there and so on.)

Depending on what you do and what you discover, you will learn a bit about the story, or maybe not, and you will just escape and that’s it. My Idea is to have just 3 areas: the forest, a cave and a hidden shrine. I would like to customize my graphics as much as possible, but since I’m no artist, I will try to not be too hard on myself, I will use the tilesets I can find.

How would you do this? I have tested some things on the engine, and it seems that variables is the way to go, but I’d like to read your opinions and ideas. Do you think this is too much for a first project?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the concept, but I wont do 1 hour survival in RL life, but at triggers, unless there
multiple endings for stuff you find and survive teh night. (thats up to you)

no artist can put graphics in hte game, (I see worse graphic) but the game was nice.
just use your fantasy brains to create the game,bad graphic, avarage, perfect graphic,
high grade professional graphic doesn't matter, if it fits the game, and the story is nice,
the graphic doesn't matter, the envirnoment probably does. :)

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Story : To be honest, I didn't understand the Motivation behind the Story you have mentioned, it sounds somewhat vague. Raise the stakes high, Give the Player an absolute purpose to survive the night and threaten them with a dire consequence if they don't survive. Also, Keep reminding them every few hours of what will happen to them, If they don't survive, This is how a Survival game keeps you on your toes.

Mechanics : Yes they all sound reasonable and doable, including the time system. Its all about cutting the un-necessary bits till you are left with the bare "Skeletal design" of your Game Mechanics, only use that which is required.

Keeping it Small : As an example, There is no point of having 10 Materials to gather if you only plan crafting 2 Items. Also, Make sure to think of ways to keep the Player busy with many different tasks, every single hour.

Time System : Try to imagine and write down every single Action the Player performs every Hour, Add in all the Hourly Events + Gathering Events + Battle Events + Story Events and then consider your in-game time based on these above factors.

Maps : Three Maps at first sounds like too little but trust me, when you get there and start making events and maps and start thinking of events, You will have a lot of events to fill. Some events only work in a single map, This means you will have to duplicate them 3 times and that gets even more complicated when you consider each Map has its own Hourly events, Unique events and Conditional events.

So I highly suggest you focus on making a Single Map with all 3 Areas merged into one map at first, Perhaps with Event Blockades, Where Player has to solve them to pass through to the next region.

Variables : I'm no expert with events but i think variables, switches and conditional branches are all you need. Just make a rough note of all the Hourly events that you have to create and once you are done, making them will be pretty easy.

Overall, I think its a perfect Project if its your first game. Whatever you are thinking, scale it down by a Factor of 10 and improve upon it, This is the secret to completing your first finished game.

Last edited:

Anubis05

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I like the concept, but I wont do 1 hour survival in RL life, but at triggers, unless there
multiple endings for stuff you find and survive teh night. (thats up to you)

no artist can put graphics in hte game, (I see worse graphic) but the game was nice.
just use your fantasy brains to create the game,bad graphic, avarage, perfect graphic,
high grade professional graphic doesn't matter, if it fits the game, and the story is nice,
the graphic doesn't matter, the envirnoment probably does. :)
Hmm 1 hour doesn’t seem that long for a survival game, for instance, Don’t Starve could potentially last forever. But I see your point, the player should have enough things to do.

: To be honest, I didn't understand the Motivation behind the Story you have mentioned, it sounds somewhat vague. Raise the stakes high, Give the Player an absolute purpose to survive the night and threaten them with a dire consequence if they don't survive. Also, Keep reminding them every few hours of what will happen to them, If they don't survive, This is how a Survival game keeps you on your toes.
Oh thanks for the thorough response!
I agree, it's not fully thought out. But basically, the player goes to the woods to chill and camp. But weird things happen, because unknown to him, that particular night is the nigh of the blood moon(still deciding what that means, but it involves a cult and a supernatural being/force.)

Mechanics
: Yes they all sound reasonable and doable, including the time system. Its all about cutting the un-necessary bits till you are left with the bare "Skeletal design" of your Game Mechanics, only use that which is required.
Yes, I will try to keep them as simple as possible and only the necessary ones.

Keeping it Small
: As an example, There is no point of having 10 Materials to gather if you only plan crafting 2 Items. Also, Make sure to think of ways to keep the Player busy with many different tasks, every single hour.
True, at first I thought about all kinds of materials, but will probably set for 3 or 4 max.

Time System
: Try to imagine and write down every single Action the Player performs every Hour, Add in all the Hourly Events + Gathering Events + Battle Events + Story Events and then consider your in-game time based on these above factors.
This is a great idea, I will surely do that. It will help me decide how to distribute all the events and variables and all the other elements.

: Three Maps at first sounds like too little but trust me, when you get there and start making events and maps and start thinking of events, You will have a lot of events to fill. Some events only work in a single map, This means you will have to duplicate them 3 times and that gets even more complicated when you consider each Map has its own Hourly events, Unique events and Conditional events.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having duplicates of maps, for what kinds of events exactly?

So I highly suggest you focus on making a Single Map with all 3 Areas merged into one map at first, Perhaps with Event Blockades, Where Player has to solve them to pass through to the next region.
Now that you mention it, it might be a good option. Like forest-cave-shrine. However, I think that wil limit the "free exploration" thing.
Variables
: I'm no expert with events but i think variables, switches and conditional branches are all you need. Just make a rough note of all the Hourly events that you have to create and once you are done, making them will be pretty easy.
Yeah, what I thought. As you say I will have to make notes and keep track or it could me a todal mess.

Overall, I think its a perfect Project if its your first game. Whatever you are thinking, scale it down by a Factor of 10 and improve upon it, This is the secret to completing your first finished game.
Thanks! I'll try my best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhengdddddd