Idea Impulse. Did you do it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheoAllen, Oct 23, 2018.

1. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I asked "did you do it?", I mean if you actually did get the random wild idea for your game and if you did the idea you got. And what I mean by idea impulse is about when you get an idea for your game like random features like, "hey, how about adding time system bcz why not?", or (almost) change the nature of the game entirely.

I recently played some games that I think some of their approach were actually could be better to be used in my game. The problem is, I might need to change a half or even more of the mechanic I already built. Granted, I'm currently not really satisfied with the mechanic I came up with, but the new idea one is also a gamble if it's really be better approach. Building the new mechanic itself is not really a problem, it will just take additional time with some gambles. I don't really have deadline to finish my game though, so time shouldn't really matter.

What is your personal experience on this? will you remake your game? or you don't, instead trying to fix with whatever idea you previously come up with?

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, some of my first draft was me running with my first idea, and seeing where it dead-ended at. Of course, that is also why I dead-ended at Chapter 2 (2x), Chapter 3 (2x), Chapter 4, and early Chapter 5 before I finally finished. So it can work, but be prepared to decide 6 weeks later to redo it again and go back to what you had (in which case, an earlier backup is invaluable for this).

3. gambitben

gambitben Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, in my case what I do is run the idea in my head for a couple days trying to fathom all the design space and possibilities it opens. Then, if the new idea has more applications throughout the whole game(theoretically speaking, of course), I would use it instead of the old one. This doesn't apply if the old idea only does two or three things, but they are super cool and embedded into the lore tho :owink:

4. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If it means killing momentum and reworking viable designs Id just save it for the next one and keep pushing towards the end.

5. S.Court

S.Court Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    EspaƱol
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I had a similar experience with the stats system in my project, before I played certain game, I had a simpler stats distribution system, but after I played the game and I used this stats system and I thought "hey, it would be interesting to implement it in my project" But then I thought it'd be time consuming, so that stopped me for a while.

I'm not the kind of impulsive person, but this system was really interesting to ignore it, so I decided to make myself certain questions before making a choice, questions that may can help anyone is interested in adding a feature you might have seen in another project:
    1. How much my project would improve if I implement this element?: Basic questions, and that's important because adding a feature will take time, so you need to analyze if the effort you'll put will be worthy. In my case the idea would really improve the stat increasing system making each character feels unique, and having a perfect mix between freedom and specialization.
    2. Does this feature mix well with the other features in my project?: There is a difference between using different features to create a unique mark in your project, and adding features just for the sake of adding them and making it feels more like a Dr. Frankenstein's monster project. How do avoid the second scenary? In my experience, I can say the best way to avoid that is staying sure each feature you add can help to develop what you intend to create with your project. You want to create a game which battles rewards the strategic factor? Be sure of not adding a feature will break the core strategy you want to reward for example. Keeping this tip in mind has helped me to not add any nice feature I have seen in a project, because it's important to have a vision and stick to it, and only add it when you think it actually adapts wells to your vision.
    3. Is there a way to improve this feature?: Is that a decisive element? Not exactly, but thinking in adapt this feature can help to make your game feels fresh, and also there are cases when if you copy the feature just as you saw it, it could not mixing well at all with the features you have added.
    Asking myself those question have helped me to keep the vision of my project and saving time in mindlesslly adding features and never advancing.

6. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I rarely do this. My projects are usually well planned-out. Sure, details can change quickly, but major mechanics never change drastically. If I do have an idea that I think will be better for my game in general, I usually examine the question carefully, doing an advantage and disavantage list, try to evaluate all the consequences, etc.

7. TheMutantSpaceDancer

TheMutantSpaceDancer Maker of Goof 'ems. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    depends on the idea, if it fits with the game's mechanics, then yeah but it in there, but if not i'll save it for later and slap that baby in the sideline.

8. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first game is pretty much a collection of weird, random ideas put into one package. I like to act on these random thoughts, because they usually lead to the most fun results that help make my game stand out better.
    For example, I had made it so you could only read sign posts if you examined them from the front, but that was sometimes annoying due to placement on the terrain. So, the first time the MC interacts with a sign post from another direction, he grumbles about not being able to read it, and proceeds to kick it to have it spin a bunch and ends up facing him so he can read it without repositioning himself. Kicking sign posts then became a main feature...

9. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I do it frequently... Which is probably why I've never really finished a project (that and time constraints due to work).
    It usually goes like this: "Time manipulation would be so cool!". Then I realize that to have spells manipulate time I'd need to do X first, then I think "why when doing X stop at just doing what's necessary for time manipulation, it could be so much more", and you do this for several layers more.

I mainly stick to doing plugins as a result now.

JazzGotBlues likes this.
  10. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Yeah, been there, done that, got the feature.
    Problem is I really overdo it with the revamping, to the point that I've been through 3 regular Battle Systems 2 different Crafting Systems and more than 4 Warfare Systems. Same with maps, I tend to go back to earlier maps and redo them, to the point where I haven't made much progress for quite some time now.

JazzGotBlues likes this.
  11. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I keep impulsively making new features instead of just focusing on a game - and then building the features around it and setting limits.

JazzGotBlues likes this.
  12. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For this kind of thing, my rule is simple:
    • If it's a QoL thingy and possible to implement in a few days, I'd definitely give it a spin;
    • If it's a QoL thingy but needs to be reverse-engineered or if it's worth the research, I'll put it in to-do list;
    • If it's just a sudden idea and deemed interesting, I'll consider it;
    • Otherwise, to the recycle bin it'll go.
    The temptation becomes stronger the longer you've worked on your own project, so it depends on your own wit when the idea impulse kicks in.

Me? I've been through a lot of these impulses. Timed-hit system? Ditched it. The "Summon Book" system? Trashed it. The idea to simplify the dungeons? Crushed it.

13. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Most of the "impulse ideas" I get aren't things that would fit well into the game I'm currently developing, so I write them down on a Notepad file, and if I find the idea really compelling, I continue to think about it while I am NOT doing game development. While I'm exercising, while I'm eating, even while I'm on the porcelain throne. :D And sometimes those ideas blossom into larger systems or entire game designs of their own, which I can start building for real once I'm done with my current project.

But it's dangerous to shoehorn an idea (even a really cool one) into your current project if it doesn't fit the dynamics of the game well.

14. vap0re0n

vap0re0n Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a few times. I would say it depends as each idea isn't the same.
    If the idea is simple enough to implement and it makes the final game more fun/interesting, I'd say go for it.
    If it's quite complex and is just to make the game more unique but not necessarily more fun/interesting, I'd say it's not worth it.

The engine itself can also be a bit limiting with ideas so keep that in mind.
    I've had to drop ideas because it was just not very realistic to set up in with RPGM with regards to time.
    I remember trying to program a memory type mini-game but it turned out to be way more complex and time-consuming than I imagined (programming, creating resources, testing, etc). So I stuck to the original mechanics.

Ultimately it's up to you though, as if it's not been done the way you are imagining, you'll never really know without taking a chance.

15. TreguardV

TreguardV Dungeon Master Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do almost all the time.
    Generally, I only go out of my way to implement something if it (a): can logically exist within the game's setting, (b): doesn't upset any mechanics that are considered "concrete", for lack of a better word, and (c): would make the game more fun.
    Once I've experimented with the idea a little, I sometimes reiterate the idea in an attempt to improve it.

At the end of the day, though, there's nothing inherently wrong with impulse ideas. Some of your game's best features can start with an impulse idea, in fact.
    Just be careful not to cram in features just because you can, as that can all too easily turn a potentially good game into a mediocre one.