Rookie Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys!
I got to make a confession, I'm not that good at making levels/dungeons from the ground up, I usually take inspiration from an Song, an Enemy, kinda "Yeah, that song works perfectly in ______ level" or "Oh, that enemy would look amazing in a _______ dungeon"
Well, that's today's case! I recently found amazing music and a uncontrollable desire for drawing fish, turtles and another aquatic life!
Something i like to add to my dungeons is a Gimmick, like the classic Slide gimmick in Ice Dungeons, or Poison Floor in Poison Dungeons. But for an Underwater level.... My brain is just dry :(
I really don't have a clear way to put an Underwater level, besides an Oxigen Bar... And that sounds more annoying that anything.
So, let me ask you a question... What are your ideas for making an Aquatic Level!
I what to hear any idea, I'm sure all ideas can help me get some extra ispiration to make something fun and unique.
I hear yall!

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
well, the biggest thing about underwater areas is buoyancy, which you can't really replicate in RM.
followed by light refraction, density (heavy objects sink, lightweight objects float), and the principle of communicating vessels (water level raises as air is let out of an underwater enclosure)

depending on the mechanics available to you, you could set up a puzzle involving pumping or draining water from a place.
or, using streams of water as conveyor belts, or just decorating the area with fancy light effects, underwater flora and sunken treasures.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one thing that could be done is different flood levels that change the places that the player can reach - assuming of course that water is still a barrier.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What about having some kind of vessel (such as a submarine) that must be used to traverse strong currents, avoid dangerous enemies etc? You can have the character move normally in the underwater environment but perhaps place events near cliffs that makes the character jump up the cliffs, simulating buoyancy.

empresskiova

Untitled Project1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You could do something simple, like create a water breathing spell for your mage. Then he casts it on your party before going diving. No oxygen bar needed, and you still have a simple gimmick.

If you are using a maker with skill formulas, you can also set up your formulas so that projectile attacks and spells deal no damage. Except maybe ice and water ones.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have an underwater dungeon in my game, and I had it that the players had to eat an herb, then they could breathe water for 24 hours (aka long enough to clear the dungeon). Fire and Earth spells could not be cast at all, Water spells did almost no damage, and Air spells did 3x as much damage. Oh, also Missile weapons did no damage either, kinda hard to fire a bow underwater.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
An oxygen meter could be interesting, if you structure the dungeon carefully so that it's a puzzle to reach certain areas. You'd have to make it clear that the direct route will definitely fail (rather than letting the player think they could pull it off if they stretched themselves just a little harder, and wasting hours trying something that's actually impossible).

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Especially if you're using Visual Encounters, you could slow the player's speed while they're underwater, but have certain segments where you can ride a friendly ocean creature (like a dolphin for example) which speeds the player up beyond their normal movement speed, making it a lot easier to dodge the encounters (and in areas where you can ride it, you could have a LOT of visual encounters, to make it a challenge to dodge them all).

To piggyback on a couple of other ideas already brought up:

well, the biggest thing about underwater areas is buoyancy, which you can't really replicate in RM.
The way I might go about creating an interesting mechanic based on buoyancy would be to allow movement through the entire ocean floor, but to have lines or underwater objects (like reefs) that the player can grab onto throughout the dungeon, and if the player spends more than, say, five seconds away from these lines/objects, he will float to the surface (where there's a passage back to a slightly earlier part of the underwater dungeon). The key will be figuring out how to move around the ocean floor so that you can get from the start to the finish without needing to spend more than five seconds away from something you can grab, which is both about figuring out the 'puzzle' of where to go and where not to go, and also about making your moves quickly and directly, without hesitation. You could have some treasure chests on the ocean floor to provide temptations and mini-puzzles.

one thing that could be done is different flood levels that change the places that the player can reach - assuming of course that water is still a barrier.
Flood levels is a fantastic idea, especially for a freshwater underwater dungeon! I would invert the idea of making water a barrier, though, and instead make land a barrier. For example, you're swimming through this underwater dungeon, and you run across a cliff that sticks five meters out of the water. You have to get across to the other side, but you can't get over that cliff. So, you explore the depths to hit some switches or whatever is involved in the puzzle, and the water level rises above the cliff. Now you can simply swim over that cliff, across to the other side where the second half of the dungeon awaits!

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Also a breathing mechanic and maybe having troubles to use a weapon in water. Also some doors are hard to open in water if there is differential pressure the other side.

BTW who is that smiling kitty fellow? Is it one Photoshopped?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
maybe having troubles to use a weapon in water

MEGAMAN X3!
the acid blob didn't work, and the ice dagger froze up into an ice bar.
I lol'd so hard the first time I tried to use the acid and got only bubbles out of the muzzle.

dulsi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Flood levels is a fantastic idea, especially for a freshwater underwater dungeon! I would invert the idea of making water a barrier, though, and instead make land a barrier. For example, you're swimming through this underwater dungeon, and you run across a cliff that sticks five meters out of the water. You have to get across to the other side, but you can't get over that cliff. So, you explore the depths to hit some switches or whatever is involved in the puzzle, and the water level rises above the cliff. Now you can simply swim over that cliff, across to the other side where the second half of the dungeon awaits!
Rachet and Clank games do this (or at least the most recent but I think it was in others). They also sometimes have you want to flood and want to drain. For example you might need to flood to get to an area but afterward you need to drain it so you can turn a screw.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure how you plan to make an Underwater level, I can't think of any ideas either but if you want to settle for something else, I would suggest a Level which is subterranean - Sewers, Marshes or Swamps. This way you can get away making it feel like its an Underwater level and maybe add some of the Underwater enemies like Squids, Leeches whatever to fit right in, in the background.

Ideas i would associate with such a level :
- Blurry Vision
- Poison State
- Reduced Movement
- Dead Ends
- Oxygen masks

Last edited:

NatuElChido

Rookie Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone! Thanks for reply!
As an update, I take some of the ideas in this post and made something!
In the water, you can swim freely, in the game is represent in the way that you can swim in various levels (in the video doesn't seems that natural, but i will probably make swimming animations for every character ),except for some annoying Jellyfishes and an Oxigen Meter (kinda)....
You see, every 10 seconds underwater, you take 10% Damage and you cannot swim through jellyfishes, but that's why you have this button, thta can drain the water, so you cannot longer swim freely, but you no longer take damage and the jellyfishes are gone!
Until you push the button again:
The blue filter, the bubble effect and the soft light at the top make this level looks awesome, but I also want to put some corals and stuff...
Thank everyone for your ideas! I will leave this post as reference for the future. :)

NatuElChido

Rookie Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One little question, in the video the jellyfishes are actually Tiles, that's why they aren't animated at all.
I may make them events to be animated, but I don't know if is a good idea, considering that might be a lot of events in a single level.
Does having like 30+ animated events in a single level can cause any trouble?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You guys just freely offer up your Autonomy?
I don't know about you, but today the covid frustration is seriously getting to me. Haven't really seen many of my friends for two years, since i moved towns the year before this all started, and well, i miss them :(
so, here's a cute alpacaraptor sketch to heighten the mood:
W7Fhp9n.png
Whenever I start on a new chapter, it doesn't feel like the next episodes, but more like sequels :)
It can be frustrating that so many commercial games have used up titles that might otherwise be great for a project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewRoots