Devildimos

I ruin memes for a living
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Reminder from a Mod: This is a General Discussion topic - so when answering this topic, please focus on concept and game design, rather than implementation in RPG Maker. :)

Hello, Everyone!

I had this crazy idea for my RNG Dungeon Crawler to add a new feature to my game "Dismantle Item" to increase the crafting freedom for the player.
When I say dismantle it would be the same as In World of Warcraft terms "Disenchant".
But I want to know what your thought and ideas are about this feature!
But before that let me explain a bit more and how it will function in my game before we talk about ideas.
I have dyslexia so don't look at my grammar.

Explanation
Because in Ancient Dungeons you receive so many equipment that the player might not be able to use. I want to add this new feature where you could dismantle the item and gather the materials from that item.
Dismantling a Robe would give you cloth and thread for example.
These materials can be used to craft new items as you can imagine. This way you have more materials, more crafting options and less useless equipment in your inventory collecting dust.

Thoughts
How would you make the dismantle scene start. Should I make an item called "Dismantle Kit" to start the scene?
Maybe use a type of crafting table to start the scene or both?
Should any item be able to be dismantled (potions, arrows, etc) or only equipment (armors and weapons)?
How many materials should dismantling an item yield? Halve of its crafting requirements?
Tell me what your thoughts are.

Have a great day Ladies and Gentlemen!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have seen this one. Indeed nice, Thank you.
Lol I was trying to make this thread a discussion on other people thoughts about dismantle. Instead you guys give me alternatives and scripts :p.
Sadly the link is dead - Found it.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's...not particularly surprising given how old it is. :p

I think ultimately being able to dismantle items in a game is only really useful when there's a lot of stuff you can do with the materials gained from it. So obviously it has to be coupled with a crafting system of some sort.

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It is indeed only useful when you have a crafting system or something that can pair with it.
When it comes to a RNG dungeon crawler game there is too many items and you might find useless for the current character you are playing. Making the item still useful using a dismantle system. :D

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like it, because I hate amassing huge loads of stuff that I have nothing to do with. :biggrin: Then again, being able to dismantle stuff just yields me more stuff, so I'm not sure... Maybe I'm not just cut out for games with crafting? I like games like Adom, though, where you could sacrifice stuff you didn't need or want to your god. So... I guess I like when I have a way of discarding useless stuff in a way that's not just throwing it in the garbage bin?

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@alice_gristle
You actually mention my god system where you could give offerings to the god's altar and grant blessing and repetition to that god. Even my shops keep items for the next traveller (when you die you play a new character and you keep your progress that you unlocked).
I like your point of view to give all items a purpose rather than just discarding things.

The beauty about games is to give items multi purposes rather than only one purpose.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have seen this one. Indeed nice, Thank you.
Lol I was trying to make this thread a discussion on other people thoughts about dismantle. Instead you guys give me alternatives and scripts :p.
Sadly the link is dead - Found it.
Maybe that's because you showed off how you implemented it in RPG Maker using eventing, and you literally invited people to give you alternatives (and scripts) by saying "If you have suggestion on how it could be done differently I like to hear it".

Since that's clearly not what you want (and since you posted in General Discussion), I'm going to remove your paragraph and screenshot about implementation. That should make it more likely that you get the conceptual discussion about dismantling/disenchanting items that you were looking for.

Reminder to everyone that this is a design topic - per the wishes of the OP, please don't discuss implementation, plugins, or scripts (except as part of a larger discussion about concept/design).

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd say it's a good mechanic to have for any crafting system. It offers more ways of obtaining mats. I'm definitely going to use it for my game.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure that having a crafting system means you have to have a dismantle option. You have to look to see what kind of value it adds, and make sure it is not just a time sink added on because you could.

If not having it wouldn't make a difference, is it necessary?

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't see how it's a time sink though. The player can still vendor the item for gold if they wish. The option is simply there if they are lacking in raw mats.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well that's what I meant for the dev to decide. If there's no value to the mechanic, it is technically a time sink. But, if there is a useful function that adds value to the crafting system and/or the game in general than it is not a time sink.

I only posed the question because the OP said it was a really cool idea they may want to add. Just because something is cool does not mean it is necessary. I get tripped up on cool ideas that add no value to my own game myself, so I thought I'd bring it up.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your game has a limited inventory space and shops aren't always easily accessible (like they are in MMORPGs), hell yeah I want a disassembling function. Mankind Divided would've been pretty much unplayable for me without the "convert unused guns into machine parts" augmentation.

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Frostorm
It can be very useful in many crafting games. But not if the game has a lack of RNG or random generated items at all. Than the dismantle mechanic is not necessary to me.
Else it could be a time sink unless the game is build to have to use it.
Like a survival game where you must dismantle items to get materials. Reminds me of 7days2die.
But you can mine and chop there too :p

@HumanNinjaToo
You are correct. Many games might not even need certain things. I even conceder not to add it. That's why I started this thread.
But in a game like mine you will feel that equipment gets too much or too little since it is pure RNG. Especially because you can choose a different class each time you play and the play-style you want to play. Which mean you will stack up useless items for your character.
It really depends though.
It is a time sink if you have no shops around and you spend too much time searching one in a random generated dungeon :p

@FirestormNeos
My game does not YET have a limited inventory mostly because I am not sure if it will work out. But indeed shops are very rare in the early game and as you proceed you will unlock more stuff like you build a smith who you can sell too and eventually you unlock the inn which makes random vendors roam the dungeons. So, yes you defiantly don't see many vendors in my game.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess I just assumed that a dev implementing any mechanic would automatically take advantage of it and make it useful, cuz otherwise, what's the point?

My game also features both a classless, make your own build skill tree system, as well as RNG weapon/armor drops (except unique/named items) in addition to a crafting system. I definitely think it would make sense in my case. Like you mentioned, the player will most likely accumulate items that don't fit their build. I'm so glad there's a Yanfly plugin for this feature lol.

Last edited:

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Frostorm
Exactly. but not all devs make use of the mechanic they add. I have seen games where the dev literally just throw things in a game and said. "It will work out!"

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing im going to throw in heree is that dismantling items for resources can benefit more then Just a crafting system.

Lets say you have a trading system imolemented in your game that has a dynamic market. Say Village A has a need for Iron and gold and will pay well for those items, now lets say you have 5 gold platte armors and 7 Iron broadswords.... See where this is going :p

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing im going to throw in heree is that dismantling items for resources can benefit more then Just a crafting system.

Lets say you have a trading system imolemented in your game that has a dynamic market. Say Village A has a need for Iron and gold and will pay well for those items, now lets say you have 5 gold platte armors and 7 Iron broadswords.... See where this is going :p
Oh crap, this just made me realize a flaw in my game if I were to implement a dismantle mechanic. The metals in my game currently come in 2 forms: Ore (mined from nodes on the map) and Ingots (smelted from Ores). If an "Iron Broadsword" were to be dismantled, it wouldn't make sense for the resulting item to be an Ore or Ingot. Maybe I could add "Scraps" to the game to solve this, and have X amount of Scraps turn into an Ingot...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

SOC
If the VisuStella videos are using the MZ RTP tilesets... I'm really disappointed. MV's look so much better. I hope it's easy to convert MV tiles to MZ.
If this thing end to be good enough, I'll be pleased to release it there for free (looong to be completed...).
And back. Trying to work online with no internet for 1.5 days was...interesting. I felt like a character in a old Sierra game trying to find internet due to all the hoops I had to jump through just to get online for work.
grief... if MV didn't have certain plugins already, I think I'd upgrade to MZ. seeing like 10 MV plugins in 1 MZ one is hilariously convenient lol.
Have you already checkes out my mapping tutorial on the blog? I would love to hear your feedback and things you'd like to see in the future!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyfix333