DeyJay5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Basically my game does not have enough battles to make leveling up necessary. So does anyone have any tips on how to make an rpg game where your character never has to level up yet the fights are still challenging and not completely reliant on luck?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have characters with interesting skills and battles with interesting mechanics.

Tarsus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could always have your character level up based on game progress rather than battle exp.

encapturer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Levelling is just one form of progression in an RPG.  Will the characters in the game progress in personal abilities and strength in another way?  (equipment, etc.)

Goldstorm

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Instead of leveling the character, you can level individual skills for each class. That way you can give the player a choice of which skill they want each character to use and can give the player some creative ways to play your game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Zelda is without Leveling.

Or Shooter Minigames could be without.

Different Inovative Minigame fights would be amazing and Fun i supose, because its mostly different, challenging and not too repetive

as you stated you dont want many Fights.

DarthVollis

Moogle Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The game I am making does not use leveling up but instead rewards the player with addons, such as more health, from doing various tasks i.e. killing a boss or completing a dungeon. This is very useful because my game is an ABS and with many different options.

Maybe a little more info about your game and ideas may become better or more focused.

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But even in Zelda, there is a bit of grind of sorts (for rubies to buy items or equipment or the luck of getting a particular item drop) although not as heavy as grinding for EXP and gold in traditional rpg games.

The question is, are you removing leveling to try something different, or are you trying to remove the need for grind all together? Are you allowing stat and character growth other ways? If so, what are you thinking about?

I could suggest a game like Dragon Fantasy: Venaitura (for RM2K) where levels are removed, and the player can purchase stat upgrades and skills by grinding for gold instead and growing their characters the way they want to shape them.

oulee

Rookie
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The game I'm working on I'm using a variable as XP and making it so players can spend it on skills, spells and other powers. It's kinda like what is used in the original world of darkness tabletop RPG.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Instead of focusing on levels, focus on items instead. Have more powerful items the more then player progresses in the game. For example, start out with a wooden sword that breaks, but gradually give him templars or broadswords etc.

Block certain pathways in early game, like putting down rocks in front of a path, and later give the player a hammer to smash the rocks away to progress to a new area.

There's plenty of ways to show progress!

Beamlight

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The excellent Wine & Roses is a perfect example of this, no? Instead of traditional "levels" and what not, you equip spells and traits that give you bonus stats and skills, as I recall.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/4526/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Suddenly wanna hear this ...
The best way to end your day? Cuddle your kitten! :LZSproud:

Explorer's Log:
September 29th
Silent Hill 4pm, 91F, air quality forecast of 301 AQI

The mask upgrade appears to be working great, I've had less hallucinations of weird fleshy creatures today... Some even look like people. Though I remain unconvinced of such. Still in hindsight, I probably should have treated previous "weird fleshy creatures" better, just in case.

Still no Pyramid hat though, I'll keep searching.
Rocket League - Streaming once more! - 30 Followers Goal

30 Followers and I'll stream a game while using a voicechanger
Was liking Genshin Impact ok.... then T.T .... *sniffle* then..... TWWWT MICRO-TRANSACTIONS!!!! BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thecooked1