Ideas for "Death"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MRHAPPYFACEMAN, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fluffybat

Fluffybat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    My current project have no place for such entity.
    However, if it's about the ideas, I have a few a concept about it:

1. Death and Time
    I always thought that death and our perception about time looks pretty well together--both of them are essential, inevitable and represent change. So a clockwork god with with a small clock instead of scythe, which represent the connection of both death (End--a Point) with time (Flow--a line) would do good.

2. Death is Alien
    People always try to say that death is, well, natural.
    Then why are we so afraid of it? why, when we wish for tomorrow, we reject the what it may brings (i.e, death) instead of accepting it? isn't that absurd? well then why don't make Death, and all entities connected to it, to be actually alien to the world? Perhaps, life was meant to go for an indefinitely, but something happened that cause it to well, end.

Which is why almost every creature in this world keep trying to stave off death instead of accepting it; because It's not normal, it is unnatural to them. They eat to survive, run away to live for another day, mate to make sure their blood will go on, etc etc. Thus, rather than using the usual skull motif, the Grim Reaper could use more abstract/eldritch/alien concept, one that is unnatural and unnerving.

3. Death is born out of humanity's need for meaning
    The Grim Reaper is born because humanity's need to find meaning in this abstract world.
    Human who died before it exist will go to the nothing after death. Human is too terrified of this, because they doesn't know anything about it. They see pattern even though there's none, and began wishing really hard that the pattern is real and pomf! it becomes real. Thus, humanity formed the grim reaper, who bring people who died to the realm where they think they belong, not where they really belong (because there is none)

The reaper appearance's vary, it is based on what the person in question think how it should look like rather than how it really is, because "it" doesn't really exist. If they don't believe in it, then "it" won't appear and the person would simply cease to be.

I think that's it for now, I gotta take some rest.

2. LxCharon

LxCharon I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

This video shows a very good interpretation of Death as a mother figure. I also love how she towers over everyone and is like 12 feet tall. The video is short but brilliant and touching and I suggest anyone watch it. The best way of making Death different is making it not evil. Death is natural and beautiful and just as painful and wonderful as life.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the method Dark Cloud does it, where once you lose all HP you get sent back to the town and revived. I also have this masochistic desire to have MCs lose their items, but maybe I'm weird.

Of course I also like the rogue like approach as well.

So the system I like that does both, is have it where the MC themselves doesn't die in game over. However a new username is automatically randomly generated and they must start from the beginning.

Save files are irrelevant, as if I'm not using RPG Maker I don't even know have to do RSAV files.

4. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I prefer to view death as yourself as a child. It takes you by the hand and the next thing you remember is opening your eyes as a baby, forever bound to repeat the life you had, so if you lived a good life, this endless cycle would be like heaven, but if you had a bad life, it would be like your personal hell.

So, be good to others, people.

5. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In my game, the protagonist's culture's idea of Death is an old woman with no children of her own who raises other people's children. If you have been good and did all of your chores and learned all of your lessons, then you can go out to the garden and play with your friends forever. But if you were bad, then you are grounded in the attic with all the dust and spiders forever. There's always tomorrow to try again though.

Conversely, Life is your cool uncle who lives out in the countryside and invites you out to go hunting and clam digging and berry picking and amber mining, and he'll give you lots of delicious and beautiful things. He has a twin brother in the city who is just as cool and takes you out partying and dancing and gambling and shopping, and you can do all kinds of fun and exciting things. But if you get too greedy and destroy an entire mountain for copper ore or stab someone for winning a bet, Life will chase you down with a shotgun or sue you into oblivion, respectively.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  6. BrandedTales

BrandedTales StoryTeller Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I actually think the graphical representation of him may not be as important as how you use him (her).

I think you need to decide the emotion you want death to portray and find ways to fulfill that beyond how the graphic looks.

There's lots of ways to view death:
    Creepy
    Horrifying (note this is different from creepy)
    Inevitable/Fatalistic
    Stoic
    Mericful
    Detached
    Bored (think anime death note)
    Eager?

In my game, death is a counter balance of the other gods and is the only one not corrupted by a plot event. He's emotionally detached, calculating, amoral on the day-to-day things (as opposed to immoral) since he has a very long term view, and imposing.

To achieve this effect, my cutscenes involve him being very ruthless in the handling of situations... Clearly he has no empathy for the people he deals with. Then when the player encounters him, he is slow, unbeatable, and unstoppable. The only option is to run (like pyramid Head in silent Hill 2)

How you use is at least as important as how to portray.

In my opinion.

7. MRHAPPYFACEMAN

MRHAPPYFACEMAN Story Writer and Plot Development Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Thankyou everyone for your input. I did get a couple of response that I liked out of the bundle