HeroofTime123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I was wondering if people had any good ideas for puzzles to use in dungeons. I'm thinking along the lines of Zelda-styled dungeons because that's what I know best. I really don't know of too many aside from the obvious block-pushing/button-pressing/switch-flipping ones that are pretty straight forward. I've used them already but I really don't want to use them too much because they get old and repetitive very quickly.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
its not neccasiraly a zelda puzzle, but i use observation/logic puzzles. for example, in the tutorial part of my game, theres the door thing with the glowy stone, an alter with blood, and bones of animals. how would you open the door?

HeroofTime123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
its not neccasiraly a zelda puzzle, but i use observation/logic puzzles. for example, in the tutorial part of my game, theres the door thing with the glowy stone, an alter with blood, and bones of animals. how would you open the door?

I feel really stupid, but I don't know. I might be able to do it if I was actually playing but just based on what you said, I don't know how you'd open the door.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
maybe its too cryptic than

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you provide a link to your game? I'm curious to see how this puzzle plays out.

Azurecyan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Why not cryptic puzzles where you have to solve a riddle? Perhaps instead of giving choices for the character to pick and solve, have them maybe kill a certain enemy, obtain an item to appease the riddle, etc.

If you want something advanced(will probably require a script or plugin), use light and shadow. Say for instance there are three pedestals and 3 sources of light from each side of the room. You have to try and get your shadow to align with the pedestals in order to open the door. Another one with light is refraction and reflection of a beam of light. Try to get the beam of light to hit one side of the room to open the door.

Rearranging books can beanother one where you have clues and you have to find certain books around the library or place. Put them in the correct bookcase or in order. 

limiTraveler

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm in the process of developing puzzles for my game. I went through the puzzle topics on Wikipedia for inspiration and came up with some really good ideas. For example, I'll be implementing a version of the verbal arithmetic puzzle in my first dungeon. Maybe start by looking through those topics on that page and see if you can get some ideas for alternative things you can do. Here's the link.

Another idea: This isn't my puzzle but it's one I liked when I played it in a Lilly and Sasha game. You have to redirect colored light over the same color tile. However, you have to use different blocks to direct the light in different directions, and sometimes you have to combine lights to get the color of the target square. Challenging but fun.

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
i made one just for sake of making one...the torchs in events...you could llight certain ones to open doors...ofcourse there are 3 different colours.

and many many doors ... the red flame counts as 1, the blue as 5 and the purple as 10... there would be a number for each door and you need to figure out how to open certain ones without knowing what the flames numbers are

HeroofTime123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Why not cryptic puzzles where you have to solve a riddle? Perhaps instead of giving choices for the character to pick and solve, have them maybe kill a certain enemy, obtain an item to appease the riddle, etc.

If you want something advanced(will probably require a script or plugin), use light and shadow. Say for instance there are three pedestals and 3 sources of light from each side of the room. You have to try and get your shadow to align with the pedestals in order to open the door. Another one with light is refraction and reflection of a beam of light. Try to get the beam of light to hit one side of the room to open the door.

Rearranging books can beanother one where you have clues and you have to find certain books around the library or place. Put them in the correct bookcase or in order. 

I was intending to do riddles and such as ways to sort of give a theme for the puzzles, but I'm trying to come up with puzzle ideas that I could put in that theme. As for the light and shadow thing, I am actually using a script for lighting already so some light/shadow puzzles could work and seem like a  good idea.

I'm in the process of developing puzzles for my game. I went through the puzzle topics on Wikipedia for inspiration and came up with some really good ideas. For example, I'll be implementing a version of the verbal arithmetic puzzle in my first dungeon. Maybe start by looking through those topics on that page and see if you can get some ideas for alternative things you can do. Here's the link.

Another idea: This isn't my puzzle but it's one I liked when I played it in a Lilly and Sasha game. You have to redirect colored light over the same color tile. However, you have to use different blocks to direct the light in different directions, and sometimes you have to combine lights to get the color of the target square. Challenging but fun.

That link is very useful. I didn't know it existed but I'm sure this will come in handy so thanks. Also, that light puzzle seems interesting but difficult to implement without a script/plugin of some sort.

i made one just for sake of making one...the torchs in events...you could llight certain ones to open doors...ofcourse there are 3 different colours.

and many many doors ... the red flame counts as 1, the blue as 5 and the purple as 10... there would be a number for each door and you need to figure out how to open certain ones without knowing what the flames numbers are

That's an neat idea. So would the player pick the color of the flame for each torch or would that be preset and they just have to light them in the right order?

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's an neat idea. So would the player pick the color of the flame for each torch or would that be preset and they just have to light them in the right order?

not the right order..but the correct amount , say there are 20 torches... only torches 3, 8 and 16 open door 3 ..anymore or less doesnt *just an example*

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I kinda came back and learned how to mod other RPG Maker games so... Hello everyone!
Captura-de-pantalla-475.png
Version 1.0.1 done! Now finally free time... oh
Capture.PNG
I'm Really proud of how my game over screen looks!
UldJFr1.png
I felt inspired by a piece of art I saw. So I made this.

Wanderer Doge.png

Thought i'd be cool to have like a company introduction. Check it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luxheo