Ideas in Ink: Points and Challenge summary

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
 ​

So you're probably wondering what happened to the old Ideas in Ink you all knew and loved.

Frankly, it died. And from the ashes has come a new version!

Don't worry, it's still the same in most parts. You still get prompts. You still write to them. You still get points. There's just a few little changes here and there~

So what are these changes, you ask?

• First and foremost, the amount of prompts is halved. This should make it easier for people to keep up and hopefully they won't burn out early. It should make things more conducive to actually finishing the challenge.
  • Secondly, the prizes have changed to badges. Simple enough. It'll be explained a bit more below.
  • Third, the points will be kept tally of in this topic. When you finish a set of prompts - no matter the month - I will add a point to your name.
  • Lastly, because there's no monetary-based prize (at this point) I'm going to be a bit more lenient with length and what-not. BUT effort is still asked for and I will only award points for those who show at least a modicum of effort. That sounds pretty harsh but really all it means is that I'll be keeping an eye out for anyone trying to 'cheat the system' by only writing short, bad works in all prompts.

Now, you can still use the old topics for writing practice if you desire, even if you've done them before. So don't worry about that!

Points this time will be a little different. Instead of being allocated only if you finish the prompt within the month in question, instead they will be allocated within the year. If you miss a few prompts in one topic and a few months later go back and finish them, then you get the point for that month.

Yes, a little less restrictive.

Mostly because lack of monetary-based prizes, but also to give people a reason to go back and complete a set later on, instead of brushing it off as a point lost. This way you can jump into the challenge at any time of the year and still earn your badge as long as you do the work for it.

I will be keeping a tally of all the current points in this topic, below.

Wallacethepig

- Death and Rebirth badge obtained

Logos by FlamingText

Last edited by a moderator:

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well that a really good idea to make it easier, The old version really gave me a hard and painful and mostly writer block because of the overwhelming. I mean 20 prompt and you need to make sure that it over 6 lines that really going to gave headache to everyone.

And also since the past you need to work on it with a deadline just to get a prize. But your idea that can take at anytime it really helpful to me so I could write a story naturally instead of rushing.

Well If I have the time. I will try to write something.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
So, instead of points you'll be receiving badges. Fill the badge card (coming) and, well, you complete the challenge! Each badge will be posted in the relevant topic under the header.

Axenblade

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds interesting. Does it take place in this thread and just hasn't started yet, or is this just an announcement and the actual prompts are located elsewhere?

Apologies for obviously question, but I only signed up here a few moments ago, and I'm still feeling my way round the place.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
The prompts can be found in the threads in this forum. I add a new topic each month, on the 15th. I'll add the points under a name in this thread, but only after all prompts in a thread are completed. ^.^

You're looking for the three top threads in this forum area - Mirrors, Death and Rebirth, Keep it in the Character. They're the current ones.

Ever

Mayor of Splitsville
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The prompts can be found in the threads in this forum. I add a new topic each month, on the 15th. I'll add the points under a name in this thread, but only after all prompts in a thread are completed. ^.^

You're looking for the three top threads in this forum area - Mirrors, Death and Rebirth, Keep it in the Character. They're the current ones.
Even as a Creative Writing grad student, I find the prompts and instruction set to be extremely vague. I've read through them several times out of interest and would love to participate, but I truly need further direction about what is required. Things such as "Little sighs" in the recent prompt, to me, implies simply writing paragraphs in character that imply the character is sighing mentally, metaphorically, or physically throughout the entry as the only requirement. Is this off base or am I at least on the right track here? I just want to make sure that they are indeed that open ended and that I am not missing anything here..

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Prompts are used to inspire. You don't need to necessarily have anything to do with sighs within the piece, but the piece must be inspired in some way by the prompt. Whether it be about a characters' constant struggle with boredom, the times the made them sigh in relief or acceptance, the last breath of life in the universe, the creaking sighs of an old house or whatever, is up to you. Just, inspire yourself with the prompt and use it to push you into writing something.

They're as open-ended as you make them. Don't worry, I know where you're coming from. When my teacher in Creative Writing first proposed the idea of writing from random prompts the class was a little at a loss on how to go ahead, but after a few tries we got into the swing of things. You can always go back and touch-up your previous bits if you think you could/would do better - that's up to you. Just... write and be inspired in some small way. That's what the idea of the prompts are for - to give you a starting point in that overall subject. ;p

CWells

Storyteller/Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh alright so threads wont be locked, I can just go in when I want and submit something I may have written so long as I put the submission in it's right place then.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
As long as it's some time before the 15th of next January, yes.

m1a2x

*Nooby* Artistic Slime
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
What was ideas in ink in the first place?

Sorry, new here!

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's always been about writing exercises and gaining experience in writing, getting out there and just doing.

Silver Wishes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
Oooh! That sounds pretty interesting, so, let’s see…

Each month we get prompts, we write and we get a point…

And at the end of the year we get a badge?

I’m new and kinda lost, so…

I guess I’ll give it a try and see how it turns out…

Sylvor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Has this game stopped? I always did enjoy reading those prompts and now that I've found the time was planning on doing some writing as well...

TherainED

Guess who's here?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spinash
Primarily Uses
Has this game stopped? I always did enjoy reading those prompts and now that I've found the time was planning on doing some writing as well...
Ever since I first wandered slithered my way in here I've been wondering. I felt somewhat defiant to say anything because...well, I've seen quite some cases of long-running forum events, as in 6 months long-running. Is this even still on? If not, why?

I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but it kinda feels like it was just left to rot somehow. And, oh dear, it seemed like such a good idea for (maybe even) self-improvement in the worst case.

And what better time to rattle the snakes than after someone else has opened the can?

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, for one thing it's been a year. For another, it kinda flopped. If you want to add your pieces to the different prompt topics, go ahead, but otherwise, yeah. It floooooopped.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can we still claim the awards from the past topics? (I posted in the rebirth one)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.
People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negociant