Ideas on how to implement character selection?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Roseredpinball, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Roseredpinball

Roseredpinball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello all, I'm currently working on a game where the player is allowed to choose which character they want to play as at the start of the game (it has no real impact on story, just an aesthetic difference.) The problem is, I'm not certain how to implement this character selection. For example, say I want to have the player say something with a shocked expression, and they're playing as Character #1. So I would bring up the dialogue box and then use the shocked face from Faceset A along with some text. But say the player chooses to play as Character #2 instead, then how do I get RPG Maker to use a different shocked face from Faceset B? I suppose I could try changing the actor graphic and faceset to match whichever character the player selects, but would that work? Wouldn't that just result in the wrong face being used when the time came for the player to speak? And even if that did work, I'd basically have to create a long branch of conditional variables to account for each avatar/player character every time I wanted the player to talk. So I'm wondering, is there an easier, less tedious way to do this? I know nothing about scripting, but maybe there's a script out there just for something like this? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, lol, but if anybody could give me tips on how to execute a character select and/or point me to a script to help, I'd be super grateful! Thanks!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Only have one actor, not one for each choice you give the player. When the player decides who they want to play as, use the Change Actor Name, Change Actor Class, Change Actor Images event commands to set up that one actor appropriately. That will save you all the tests to see which actor is talking.

Then use a plugin that will let you get the appropriate face for the "current" actor. I wrote a few, and I suspect Yanfly probably has one.

3. Roseredpinball

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah, okay, dayum though I already made the actors. XD Ah well, this sounds like it'll work, so thank you! Could you, perchance, point me in the direction of one of these scripts Yanfly or somebody else has made? Thanks again!

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    follow the link "how to use a script" in my signature.
    besides a lot of tips and hints for scripts, it also contains a link to the Ace master script list.
    A lot of the entries in that list are now pointing into nowhere because Ace is legacy and a lot of its sites are gone, but the important scripts are all still available.
    ATTENTION: In several cases the original deposits for the scripts are gone and you have to look for the links to redirected deposits where people have placed copies of those scripts to keep them available when the original sites went down, so you need to look for such links on the sites where the original links no longer works. For example yanfly's dropbox links no longer work, but his site has a general github link iirc.

5. Roseredpinball

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah, this is helpful, thank you!