Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'General Discussion' is not for feedback on individual, specific games, it is meant to be about broader themes which affect the making of games.

This sort of query belongs in 'Ideas and Prototypes'. I am, therefore merging this with 'Ideas which don't deserve their own thread.' Once you have something a bit more solid, you will be able to post your own thread in that section of the forum, though you will need to make sure you comply with the Guidelines for there.

2. Martin_Arcainess

Martin_Arcainess Emperor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, as these would be covered with gloves.

The main equipment that will be visually shown are, Head, torso, arms/gloves, legs, and Feet. Things such as Earrings, rings, belts etc won't be displayed.

3. Raijinn

Raijinn YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa, English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Martin_Arcainess Well, this is just my opinion but I think it should be around umm, look up epic battle fantasy on steam

Martin_Arcainess likes this.
  4. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcisistic narcoleptic Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i was gonna do something similar in my game as well. there's an equip slot called "costume" in my game. every character has 3 costumes of their own. when you put on the costume, it changes their field and battle sprite. and if you remove your current costume, then you're wearing a swimsuit costume. and there are 3 beaches in my game where you cant wear costumes but can still equip everything else. but my game has characters that look more life sized rather than those tiny little nugs that the default battle system uses in mv. something kinda like epic battle fantasy like @Raijinn mentioned. 3 and 4 are the better ones. 1 and 2 are kinda boring.

Martin_Arcainess likes this.
  5. batch

batch nailed-down sack of angry bees Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've had an idea knocking around in my head for all of the past day, to make a sci-fi game of sorts.
    While the plot is something I neither have completely written right now, nor would it be something I'd willingly divulge, I can say it would take place in more of a lighthearted and cartoonish an intergalactic setting than a gritty, realistic one. Think space opera, relaxed to Drawn to Life levels of simplicity.

The problem is that I want to build planets, but don't know how to go about avoiding the "Planetville" trope.
    tl;dr, planets that are interchangeable with towns.
    If anyone's got tips or tricks to making a world feel like it has the scale and life of a world, barring giving each planet six gajillion maps each, I'd love to listen.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  6. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Deleted

7. DarthVollis

DarthVollis Moogle Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Experimenting with a new Class System (made by Sixth for me). What do you all think?

[​IMG]

8. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    also deleted

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. Lyseth

Lyseth Potato Mage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I know this may have bern done before but I just wanna know your guys' thoughts, So I'm working on creating a gambler character and when using him in battle, his whole thing is all about luck, ex: first skill he has is called "Lady Luck" where when he attacks, he has a chance of inflicting one or more of the following, Poison, Blind, Paralysis, Silence, and the states can last 1-5 turns,

Ex: uses lady luck, inflicts Paralysis for 3 turns, Blind for 1 and Poison for 5.

And all his other abilities are a game of luck (none that can backfire though), what do you guys think of this design?

10. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Personally I prefer more controlled effects, but that's just me.

11. nomotog

nomotog Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would go for less power variance. Fix the duration, and have only one random status effect. You still have the random nature of not knowing exactly what you will get, but there is less of a chance for the ability to go totally off the rails.

12. nomotog

nomotog Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    People Vs Mechs

I started a game with the idea of making a mech RPG, but as the idea evolved I don't think mechs fit the idea anymore. The game is about Surviving on a alien planet, battling flora/fora and establishing a colony to live in. The issue has to do with status effects and itemization. Since the enemy is mostly organic it kind of pushes believably that they would have counters to machines. Put simply, mechs can't be poisoned. The itemization issue is based around your colony. As you add faculties and improvements to your colony, you unlock the ability to buy more items. The issue is only a minority of facilities would service mechs. You can't heal a mech at the hospital for example.

The issue is more one of imagination. It's possible to think of a way for a animal apply a poison like status a mech, or for a hospital to sell something useful to a mech. (Maybe a stat effecting weapon?) However the thematic elements seem like they would fit better if you were playing people rather then mechs. I think the only reason I want to use mechs is because they are cool and I thought of them first, but switching to people will open up more options. (Like I could use vehicles for example.)

13. fireflyege

fireflyege Magic is the destination of all wisdom. Veteran

First Language:
    Turkish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I am thinking of a skill which does this:

Gives an effect which raises counter chance to %100 to an ally and the caster. When the caster or the target ally gets attacked, they both counter that attack.

So for example my Fighter used that skill on the Tank.

Tank gets attacked:
    -Tank and Fighter counter together.

Fighter gets attacked:
    -Fighter and Tank counter together.

Anyone else gets attacked:
    -They do nothing.

The party takes an AoE attack:
    -Fighter and Tank counter together twice since both the Fighter and Tank took damage.

What do you think? I think that would be an awesome skill. Time to try doing it with Lunatic state.

14. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @fireflyege I've merged your post with this one, a better place for it.

15. Xenphir

Xenphir Nature's Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So my story has a cliche where the weather is going a bit wonky in the world however not too bad, like theres no snow and rain in the desert or something like that. I had a small idea that the snow region would be experienced unusually high temperatures but again, not too bad.

So the northern region is usually still around 0-5 celsius, 30-40 fahrenheit in the summer. Just warm enough that some snow melts in mid-summer but its still chilly. So normally it'd be about -10 cel and 14 fahren in the beginning of summer but this year its already melted the snow off the roofing but it is still on the ground and in the trees, although some grass does poke through the snow. Usually the grass doesn't pop up until mid-summer yet this time it does in the beginning of it.

I am not sure on the realistic side of nature if this works so I am just in need of an opinion or two. I still want the region to be noticeably snow-covered, but warm enough for the water to flow and ice to start melting.

16. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Xenphir how northern is this region exactly? 14F at the beginning of summer sounds more like Antarctica!
    I can tell you what Alaska is like. In a cold year there is no spring; snow melts at the end of May and summer starts abruptly. Because the polar latitudes have constant daylight in summer there is a dramatic temperature spike, usually 70 to 85F is normal in summer, even in areas that reach -40 or -60F in winter.
    The effects of climate change are extremely visible and dangerous in Alaska. I don't usually see realistic climate in video games, but here are some basic ideas you may or may not want to incorporate:
    -Summer is longer but milder, with incessant rain in places that used to stay dry
    -Winter is shorter and milder
    -Glaciers melt rapidly
    -Animals change their migration, and new species appear from the south. Bats are beginning to enter Alaska although previously it was too cold for them
    -Sea ice cover disappears. Opens commercial shipping routes but complicates whale hunting for indigenous people
    -Permafrost melts, which means the ground sinks. Roads and the foundations of homes split apart.

If I was going to pick one or two of those for a game I would definitely start with permafrost melt. It's easy for a player to get the sense that something's wrong with the world if they enter an Arctic town and find houses caved in or small crevasses crisscrossing the roadway!

17. Xenphir

Xenphir Nature's Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Failivrin Thank you for all this information :3 I will put it to good use and also do some more research on Alaskan climate.

18. Lyseth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I was thinking to add a friendship system, and how it works is like this,

At certain points during the progression of the story, there are free time events where you can increase friendship with other characters, and you get to learn more about them in the process, and if you max out friendship, they learn a special combat skill, however, during the last free time event with each character, your character notices something is still disrupting your friendship, so in a way, they then tap into the other character's heart and find that there's a dark version of the character you're trying to befriend, which introduces itself as an inner demon, which then you and the character you're trying to befriend end up going 2v1 against this inner demon, upon defeating it, your character finally can make a breakthrough and the friendship meter becomes maxed out, if you fail this battle though, you'll have to wait til next free time event to try again as losing to the inner demon INSTANTLY ends free time.

19. AquaticChaos

AquaticChaos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am working on a heavy-story focused RPG game currently codenamed Project Color. The plot is mostly finished, and the main thing to work on still is enemies. Bosses are worked on, but simple enemies are becoming a big struggle. So that leaves with a question, will my game be fine without normal enemies? If I'm not using it, then I'll simply eliminate the level system to keep it on a level field.

20. Lyseth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think basic enemies will really add life to the game, but that's just me