Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Marquise* likes this.
  2. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll just assume it's small enough to not put in its own thread, although I'm happy to make one if the need arises.

I'm wanting to adapt my 7DRL game Terminal Shooter (done in Ruby) for RPG Maker MV, expanding on some of the gameplay elements, by having some traditional JRPG elements.

Would the battle mechanics need to be completely rewritten, or would I just need to convert it to a plugin?

Concept: You play as a spaceship that fights others, just like in space invaders. But instead of live action, it's turn based strategic, having more in common with Final Fantasy Tactics. You have three main modes, plus a restart button: combo mode where each attack is weak, but each hit adds up to more than the critical, and a critical that overall does 1.5 base damage. You can also repair your ship givin the right amount of resources.

Mainly, Terminal games have some elements that might not carry over that well.

3. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm trying to write a new story, about a man harnessing the power of all the elements trying to reach godhood... now we have the traditional 4 elements: fire/water/earth/air... but i kind of think that water is somewhat... underwhelming, so I might swap it with ice. Now about the other 2 elements... should I go with light/darkness? Maybe something else?
    Any ideas? :kaoswt:

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Astel : I moved your thread here, as project specific ideas in an early stage go in this thread.

As to your post, I think Water is fine, it could be for healing instead of raw damage.

5. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcisistic narcoleptic Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i think ive decided to swap the bard and squire's element around. bard is now water and squire is now electric.

also i was asking if the classes seemed diverse enough. i have like 2 holy church classes and no evil darkness like classes, but i dont know if i should change or replace any.

consolcwby likes this.
  6. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcisistic narcoleptic Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh you want elements huh? you came to the right place.

you should keep fire, water, earth, and air, but also add light, darkness, lightning, and some sort of plant element. ice can just be a part of water.

7. SailorRose

SailorRose Pietro Fattorello Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    i'm going to write a story about a young knight fighting to save a princess... with a twist. he's aware that he's inside an rpg, and knows all the rules. but what he doesn't know is that he's not the only one who's in on it.

someone is pulling people, actual real life humans into this game, trapping them in a virtual world for all eternity and leaving the fate of their human shells unknown, building an ever-growing world of once human souls, now turned into mere strings of codes and expository dialogue.

i want it to be a light hearted comedy throughout for the most part, and sprinkle in only a bit of horror and drama towards the end once the twist is revealed. does this sound like it could work?

really all i have so far is my idea, some dialogue and a few design ideas laying around that i may or may not use for this

(character design concepts below):

This would be the main character:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    consolcwby and Gamingstar like this.
  8. mv95

mv95 Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Astel If you think water is only for healing and does not contain raw damage/power, think of being blasted by a high-pressure cleaner's jet.

Or look at what a giant wave can do (nothing really bad/shocking happens in this video, but some cars and parts of houses are dragged away, + I watched this only without sound)
    In Avatar: the last airbender water is pictured as both powerful and healing.

9. Gamingstar

Gamingstar Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey everyone! I have a mechanic in my game where you need to have a certain amount of an item to beat the game (Item only obtainable via quest) and I need some ideas for what that item will be, any ideas? Thanks in advance!

10. Bellflowers

Bellflowers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [deleted/ wrong thread]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  11. Gamingstar

Gamingstar Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Your game sounds really cool! I'd like to play it whenever a playable build is published!

12. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gamingstar Interesting concept, are you planning on having different endings depending on how many of the items are collected? The item would really depend on how the rest of your game works, but here are a few ideas: Crystallized Gratitude (a magic shard of energy formed when someone is helped), Hero's Coin (a piece of ancient money that people use as rewards), and Good Luck Fairies (small spirits that gather around those who complete quests).

Gamingstar likes this.
  13. SailorRose

SailorRose Pietro Fattorello Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    thank you!!

also about your game mechanic, it sounds cool! you could make it so that the player has to go to a bunch of different towns/villages, defeat monsters and each time they defeat a 'boss', it drops the object you need and they need to collect all of them before they can defeat the big bad at the end.

said object could be shards of a key, they need to collect all 5 (for example) so they're able to enter the final dungeon. it could also be gemstones that give you the power to defeat the final boss once they're all together; or parts of an ancient powerful weapon.

you could even 'collect' the big monsters once you've defeated them (a la pokemon?) and use them as helpers in the end.

Gamingstar likes this.
  14. Bruudwin

Bruudwin Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    https://i.imgur.com/jEoIKBA.png <- learning to use gimp2, so as you can see i've used the typical tree stump + mushrooms together.
    i've succesfully melded them together into one layer, but wtf is that yellow tint? i made the images and the pallet i'm working on set to 'alpha transparency' aka that checkerboard look to appropriately use it in rpgmaker vx Ace, but i don't get where that yellow tint is coming from!?

Oh, silly me, this should probably be in the Maker Specific forums? if so please delete this if you can, as i can only see edit options on this post i just made.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  15. cthulhu135

cthulhu135 Child of Orbis Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone!

So, what are your thoughts on "prologue games"?
    My specific circumstance is that a while back, I started working on this massive project with a big story, lots of detailed lore, neat mechanics, all the things a person just starting out with RPG Maker thinks they can do at the start.
    ...Well, I quickly realized my scope was far greater than my ability, so I put that project on the back-burner. But I, being as stubborn as I am, still wanted to do something in this world I'd created, and settled on making a much smaller (though admittedly still pretty ambitious) game set in a single city, with the goal of giving a small taste of what was to come.

So, I have a few questions about this:
    1) Is this even a good idea? Or would it be better if I did the main game first, perhaps after working on some unrelated projects?
    2) If I do go with this, does anyone have any tips on making the prologue game stand up on it's own while still leading up to the events of the main game? (which, not to give too much away, would mean that the prologue would have a bittersweet ending at best)
    3) If, hypothetically speaking, I were to try and get other people involved on this project, how would I pitch it? Like, obviously I would need to tell them the circumstances, but should I pitch two games or just the prologue for the time being?

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but I would very much appreciate any feedback :)

16. trouble time

trouble time Victorious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    1. I actually like the idea. When you have an idea you love it can be hard to just abandon it. As long as the game is short though, what it does is get you some practice and lets you work on ideas you probably couldn't fit into the "main" game."

2. Here's my solution, if its a prolouge you can afford a much sadder ending that leave the heroes goals unfulfilled, their hopes shattered, and their lives wasted. The ending should get people hype for the next game, giving the audience the anticipation that the justice that may be missing in the prolouge will be delivered later.

3.I'd say pitch it as 2 game but say you're fine just getting them for one.

cthulhu135 likes this.
  17. cthulhu135

cthulhu135 Child of Orbis Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That was my train of thought, as well. Quick side-question: how short should it be? I know the obvious answer is "however long is necessary to tell the story", but if, for instance, I was aiming for anywhere between 5-8 hours (including optional stuff), would that be short enough, or should I trim it down a bit?
    Okay, that makes sense, and was pretty much what I was going to go for. Though I can imagine that being equal parts easier and harder to do with what I have in mind.
    Namely that the prologue only stars one member of the main game's party, with only a couple of the others appearing in supporting/minor roles. However, this would only affect how personal stakes are carried over (as they'd only really be relevant to those few characters); the effect the events of the prologue have on the world at large will absolutely play a very major role in the main game, so your point still stands (which pretty much makes this whole section just me rambling...sorry :p)
    Yeah, that's what my friend suggested when I asked her. Alright, that's probably what I'll do then!

All in all, really helpful advice. Thanks! :D

18. trouble time

trouble time Victorious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I was considering doing something like this for my own game...and I thought the game would be less than 1 hour (it would take place on a single Oil Platform)

cthulhu135 likes this.
  19. Adonael

Adonael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) A one off prologue to explain your main game is a wonderful idea in my eyes. You could use this as a chance to flesh out your world before working on the main game by explaining events before hand.

2) As long as it makes sense in the context and has good gameplay there isn't much to worry about here. If the game is interesting enough you won't have to force the man to fish, so to speak.

3) Tell them the truth and be up front. Tell them you want to do a small prologue before trying to tackle a huge main game and if you enjoy working with them and vice versa you can always keep them around for the main course.

cthulhu135 likes this.
  20. Bellflowers

Bellflowers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Long ago a force that could only be known as the will of the earth instilled within the first women upon creation inconceivable power in order to maintain life throughout the planet. These women were vigilant yet ever merciful and lived alongside all of their other human beings in their immortality. though invisibly they also attempted to maintain the balance of social norms amongst their fellow man, seeing to it that wherever possible no one had to conform to a specific set of ideals based on gender, orientation, or race.
    for a while this maintenance was simple, as war wasnt yet a massively thought about concept.

this was before a church with a theocratic political agenda began annexing ill-gotten land and slaughtering witches
    Enter Rosa, a witch thought long slain by the theocracy brought back from the brink of oblivion by the wills of previously slain withces all banning together in death and resurrecting her in order to stop them

[Character bios will eventually go here]

what do you all think of this idea, what gamepaly do you envision?

@trouble time I feel like you really need to change your portrayal of women in the artwork of your game. Put bluntly it's problematic. I shudder to think what Dia's backstory was before you redacted it. lemme guess, she was some sort of temptress or sex worker. then on the other side of the spectrum you have laura who looks like she isnt even old enough to drive a car. Your other three characters are seem alright at a glance but on closer inspection, it would seem "iii" has breasts that are so huge you could see them through her baggy clothes.... on Pluto.