Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. cthulhu135

cthulhu135 Child of Orbis Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While I don't think I'd be able to condense it that much just due to how both the plot and the game itself are currently intended to be structured, I see your point: if I'm only giving players a taste of the world, I should be as concise about it as I can. Thanks for making me think about that!
    Yep, that's pretty much the plan :) Without giving away too much, the idea is to give at least a bit of insight into a series of events that serve as a major backdrop/plot point in the main game.

Oof, kinda putting on the pressure there...:kaodes:
    Joking aside, this is simple yet very helpful advice, thanks!

Yeah, this is similar to what both trouble time and my IRL friend suggested, and is what I plan to do.

Thanks for the feedback!

2. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcisistic narcoleptic Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    how do these character designs look? some of them i definitely like more than others. if you're wondering why they're all in their underwear, its because this is what they look like before they pick a class. also, im using a few custom generator parts to spice them up a bit. there is this problem with some of them having more shading in their hair that others, but thats because i changed a few of the colors in the default generator color pallet in order to make more vibrant and non ugly shades. (that default red color is a real nightmare.) i didnt change their eye colors because that wouldve been way too much of a hassle. besides, blue basically goes good with any color.

here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  3. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i just realized how odd it is for someone asking about if their elements make sense to give advice to someone who is also asking if their elements make sense.

consolcwby likes this.
  4. trouble time

trouble time Victorious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @gigaswardblade IMO they look pretty alright, though I think it'd be a good idea to use a add a few that use the other face shapes in the generator.

5. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the reason i kept them all the same shape is because you're able to swap your hair color at any time (at a specific place for a specific amount of money) and it would be weird if your face changed shape when that happened. the only time a noticeable detail changes with their appearance is when using the gunslinger class, they suddenly get freckles. i think ill soon upload what all the classes look like.

the 1 that im the least satisfied with is the purple male one. i was trying to go for a punk rock look to fit in with an old class that i deleted. but he looks like hes bald in most outfits. (thats grey hair's job) you wouldn't be able to tell that hes the purple one when playing as him in certain outfits. the thing is, im starting to run out of original hairstyles. i guess i could just go back and look for some combos that i haven't done yet. there's gotta be something better than that dumb looking mohawk. (no offense to anyone who has a mohawk irl. im just saying that the mohawk in the generator looks stupid.)

6. trouble time

trouble time Victorious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well to be fair I think mohawks look lame no matter who is wearing it or in what context. Metal > Punk anyway.

7. Bellflowers

Bellflowers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's pretty upsetting that I was unable to get any feedback from my last post.
    Doesn't anyone have anything to say,about my idea?

8. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gigaswardblade Since you have some hairstyles from the resource section anyways, why not look and see if there are any ones out there that you prefer more than the Mohawk?

@Bellflowers Honestly, it's hard to make any good suggestions based on what you've told us. Gameplay will entirely depend on what Rosa wants to do now that she's resurrected. Does she want to get the county's people to turn against the church? Then I'd expect the gameplay to focus on gathering info that can be used to weaken people's support and using it as dialogue options, and very little in the way of actual combat. Does Rosa want revenge for all her slain brethren? In that case, gameplay would probably be all about battles and gaining new skills to destroy her enemies. Or is it that she just wants to bring back the old balance? I'd expect a lot of the game to focus on side quests then, where Rosa helps out all sorts of people in a variety of ways (just not only fetch quests, please...).

Gameplay should support the story and make the game fun, so really the best advice I can give is to figure out what Rosa's end-goal is and then decide on the mechanics.

9. Bellflowers

Bellflowers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I firstly want to thank you for the feedback. It means a lot.

The way I have it envisioned, Rosa's end goal is to stop them, the church I mean. there are still other witches out there, some not even born yet, and they are putting forth every effort and resource at their disposal to spread their dogma as well as annihilate these beings. Your idea about gathering info about them and trying to curry favor among the populace speaks to me

10. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i was thinking of doing away with the whole "everything is bigger than you" thing since it would be kinda hard to build a world around that. also because i've found this person who makes these enemies that seem to be the same size as the player characters. (i'm sure we all know who im referring to.) or maybe i could just scale up the player character sprites. hopefully there's a way to do that without making them look all blurry and stretched out.

11. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually really like the whole rainbow of colors. Are you planning to keep the designs so vibrant in the finished product?
    Well, traditional elements could include wood and metal.
    You might also consider electricity.

I don't think water is underwhelming:
    People are mostly water.
    Water erodes earth, and is better vs fire than ice.
    Drowning is not fun.

Please don't take this as me being combative, I genuinely want to know more about your story.

There are a lot of "church bad, women good" stories out there. Talk to me about how yours is different.

If no one has to conform to ideals based on gender, orientation etc, why is that only women have this power?

How many immortal women are there? Are they really all 'ever merciful?' Not a single one of them ever used their inconceivable power for selfish purposes?

Oh, I really like this twist!

There's so many isekai out there right now, I haven't read all of them- but in my limited experience, this is a unique iteration of the idea.

My favorite of your designs has got to be the redhead with horns.

@slimmmeiske2 thank you! I'm used to a different forum system!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  12. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @VioletSpark Please do not double post (= posting right after yourself) as this is against our rules. If you want to add something please use the 'Edit' button in the future. You can also use the Multiquote button/keep clicking on +Quote until you have all the post you want to answer to. Alternatively you can always @theirusername and they'll got a notification that you've responded to them.

Marquise* and consolcwby like this.
  13. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i do intend on keeping the hair colors vibrant and colorful in the finished project. the only problem is, i dont know how to fix the whole hair gradient thing going on. you may have noticed that not all the colors are properly shaded. (ie red, orange, blue, and brown.) im stuck with GIMP2, and i cant find a way to make a gradient have more than 2 colors in it.

14. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090714055013AAS95XB

Marquise* and trouble time like this.
  15. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @consolcwby Starting to sprite since too long here and unable to remember how I did it in Photoshop CS4 ^^ (awww how comes I do in Deluxepaint IV? )

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    consolcwby likes this.
  16. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone,

For my current project I wrote a small origin-story on the elements (and thus magic-Trees) and how they came into existence...
    Elements could later be replaced by their governing Gods/Godesses and I've removed most fluff-text from it but I would really like some feedback on wheter or not this origin-story makes sense, feels 'natural' etc.

So here goes:

First there was only SPACE but SPACE was lonely and thus created STAR...This event called into existence CHANGE and BALANCE...
    CHANGE and BALANCE where immediatly at war with eachother...CHANGE created CHAOS wich also created SOUND and BALANCE created ORDER wich also created SILENCE...
    The fight between CHANGE and BALANCE created TIME... wich together with ORDER created BEGINNING and together with CHAOS ENDING... BEGINNING and ENDING created REBIRTH...
    TIME also created SUN and MOON...SUN created DAY and MOON created NIGHT, together NIGHT and DAY created TWILIGHT...
    SUN and MOON created STORM... STORM split into pieces; EARTH, AIR, FIRE and WATER...
    EARTH and WATER created BODY...
    AIR and WATER created SOUL...
    EARTH and FIRE created HEART...
    FIRE and AIR created SPIRIT...
    BODY and SPIRIT created PUNISHMENT...
    HEART and SOUL created FORGIVENESS...
    PUNISHMENT and FORGIVENESS created PASSION and DISPASSION

Thus the elements were created.

Thanks for any feedback in advance :cutesmile:

17. Akihiko

Akihiko Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello everyone. I'm planning on making a spooky game, and I wanted to know what you guys generally find scary and creepy. It can even be a personal fear you have. I would like to give my game an unsettling atmosphere. Thank you~ :kaoluv:

Here is one spooky idea I had. Let me know what you guys think:
    On the second floor of the mansion, the protagonist walks into a room with one large portrait of a lady with long, dark hair. Her eyes are closed, and her face has no expression. In this room, you see five doors, as well as an old record player. All five doors appear to be locked. The protagonist, who happened to find a CD on the first floor, places it in the record player. Music starts to play, and one of the doors unlocks.

The protagonist enters through the first door, and must solve a puzzle in this room. After the puzzle is completed in the first room, the protagonist walks back into the main room with the portrait. However, the portrait looks a little different now. The woman's long hair is now hanging out from the picture frame. The protagonist also notices the music from the record player has changed slightly. It also appears that the second door is now unlocked, so the protagonist goes through, and solves the puzzle in that room too.

Once the puzzle in the second room has been completed, the protagonist comes back again to the room with the portrait. The woman in the portrait now has opened eyes. The music in the room has become slightly distorted. The third door is unlocked.

The protagonist solves the puzzle in the third room, and comes back into the main room with the portrait. The woman in the portrait has a twisted smile, and looks extremely uncanny and unsettling. The music has become very distorted. The fourth door is unlocked.

The protagonist completes the puzzle in the fourth room, and enters the main room with the portrait once again. There is no longer anyone in the portrait. In the middle of the room, the protagonist will see the record player smashed into pieces on the floor. The fifth door is opened. This is the end of this section - the player progresses to other parts of the game.

Small details about the game:
    - The game takes place in a haunted mansion. Here is a picture I drew of the mansion:[​IMG]

This is my very first time attempting to draw a building from scratch. It was difficult and very time consuming, but I am happy with how it came out. :kaopride:

- There is no combat, but you can die. Mostly exploration and running away from danger.

- Here is concept art and sprites I drew of my characters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was also my first time drawing character sprites from scratch.

I hope to draw everything in my game from scratch, so this will be a long term project. It's going to be a lot of work~ :kaophew:

I am also attempting to make music for this game. I found an interesting music program online that is relatively easy to use. I don't know how to play any sort of instrument or anything, and I have no experience with making music, so most of the music will be very simple. Here's one tune I've worked on so far: link I hope I can improve on my music making skills. :kaosigh:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Parallax Panda and consolcwby like this.
  18. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Akihiko Well what people find scary and creepy differs greatly from person to person and even between cultures, so...
    However an unsettling atmosphere is usually best created by music or its absence and sound effects. Visually it's more subjective per person but showing the player images and combinations that don't make sense and are without logic tend to help to that end.
    That's all I've got on the matter though but good luck :D

19. Akihiko

Akihiko Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Finnuval Images and combinations that don't make sense and are without logic... I'll keep that in mind, thanks.~

20. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Akihiko glad I could be of help no-matter how small :cutesmile: