Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. pamoire

pamoire Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @Finnuval I really like your origin of elements concept, it makes so much sense and feels so satisfying haha but I guess, personally, my main concern is that there's too many terms used and the formula 'created' is very overused (but I realize this could still be just a vague flowchart and you omitted the details on purpose)

Maybe you could give some of the elements different names akin to making them seem more like deities? and romanticize them a bit with some more human-like emotion? Because you started with SPACE being lonely and now I'm curious about everyone else's emotions. That's my take on it, hope it helps and sorry if I might not make much sense, I'm very scatterbrained when conveying my thoughts.

Finnuval likes this.
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @pamoire Thanks! And you are correct some words are totally overused but you are right in assuming I left almost all details on purpose :cutesmile:
    Implemented I do indeed romanticize and deify them more. (But a very good point to make non the less).

You're not that scatte-brained... not to me anyway :p

3. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Game: Temporarily called Forsaken (Will change at later date)
    Genre: Horror mystery leaning game
    You control three characters, whose past has been affected by the house, due to the same event. The biggest question is if I should have separate inventories for the different characters. You see you control only a single character at a time, as they each have their own skills to use around the house.

Elisabeth: Her twin sister was always more popular than she was, so she was invited to a friend's birthday party: James McQueen, heir to Lord and Lady McQueen. After her sister didn't come home, they tried to go to the house, only no one answered and they called the police. It would be Monday before anyone realized that they weren't the only one. Everyone in the house was found dead, with only a single survivor and even most of the bodies never were located. James McQueen was believed to have been responsible, but was sent to a mental hospital instead. Elisabeth was heart broken when they didn't find her sister..
    GOAL: She hopes to find her sister, alive or dead and get some closure.

Michael: A police officer, who is only one of a couple of people who saw the inside of the house after the murders. It haunts him to this day, despite no truly knowing who was behind the murders, his partner wasn't shy about saying it was "James McQueen". His partner swore that he'd find the evidence in the house and vanished a month after the murders: it was declared an accident. The former Lord, James McQueen's grandfather would shut off the house to everyone. (This character needs a little more work)

James McQueen: He was a sixteen year old young man when his friends and parents, even the servants were all murders on the night of his sixteenth birthday party. When he was discovered in the house, he had trouble remembering what happened on the night and no memories of the last six months of his life. It was unknown why the DA and the boy's grandfather decided that a mental hospital was best for his grandson. Now, five years later, he was released from the mental hospital with more questions than answers. Did he murder all those people? Did he have the right to mourn? He is haunted by strange spirits that he doesn't mention to anyone, as he is afraid that he's losing his mind, haunted by his 'victims'.
    GOAL: To discover the truth about what happened during that time period

So question: Should I use a javascript that separates the inventories? You already play as a single character, switching between them and such.

4. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What's a photoshoop? Is that like Coreldraw? ;D

I would like to tell you about a creepy phenomena which has occurred to me on several occasions in my life:
    Out in public and out of the blue I have had strangers come up to me who knew my name, address, and very personal details about me (such as where I live, who I hang out with, family problems, etc) and Claimed we are friends - bffs, bf/gf etc. These people even went so far as to convince my friends and family they knew me and Hung out with them. Nothing ever came of all this, but it scared me to tears! (Enough to learn some Akido.)
    Hope that helps!

Marquise* likes this.
  5. Akihiko

Akihiko Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @consolcwby Wow, what a creepy experience. :kaoswt:Perhaps I can add something similar like that into my game. The first thing that came to mind was implanting false memories into the characters. Thanks for the idea!

consolcwby likes this.
  6. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    that is so cool.
    my collection of stories has an origin, where Nothing created Darkness and Shadow, and from those Night. Then light came and screwed everything up.
    But it was in Night that many primordial beings were created. When Darkness seeped into the shadow, Light arrived and behind the light was a universe ending invasion. Stars before then, were only homes of divinities, and those created the spheres of influence over planets with potential worshipers. Some divinities traveled great distances to collect followers and alter fates and histories for peoples ruled by their own local divinities.
    I did create a lore to some of the local divinities. But basically the creation of sentience, body and soul are different throughout the universe. The one book I wrote, there was a tree, which completed the thoughts of all, and with its leaves, beings were formed that destroyed the leaves. First there was Love and Beloved. And the existence of the creation story on the setting, explained up until a being challenged the immortal divinities and was turned into a soul, and thus began music, art, science and so on. One could call the earliest Entish or Dryad-like, but I think it was Earth and Water as you have as well.

I really like this story you have shared, it's pretty neat to see how you think about reality :) thank you for sharing

7. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @chungsie Thank you for your kind words :cutesmile:
    I like your idea as well and I to, implemented, have different nations/cultures in my game take a different view on the same story adjusting it to their own practices s it were.

chungsie likes this.
  8. Addemup

Addemup Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Game name: Adventures Through Many Worlds (although I may change it later)

In short, it's going to be about a teenage boy from our very own Earth who is taken to various fantasy worlds, such as Westeros (Game of Thrones), Tamriel (The Elder Scrolls), Faerun (Forgotten Realms), and many others.

There would be a different art style for each world the teenagers is taken to, and it would most likely follow an increasingly complex storyline with each update.

That's all I've got so far. What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  9. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Addemup the idea is an interesting one of course you could not actually use those names due to copyright (I'm sure you already now but better safe then sorry) :cutesmile:
    I once played around with the idea of having a character travel from history book to history book which kinda has the same core-idea :cutesmile:

10. Addemup

Addemup Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've seen RPG maker games before that used copyrighted worlds - why can't I use them in my game?

11. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Addemup it depends on several factors. How old is the original piece it comes from, what are the exact licenses under which they are/have a trademark. Is it a 'public' name or a very specific name, etc. Now, I'm no lawyer and do not know everything but it is always better to be safe then sorry.

Besides that: the fact that others do does not mean it is okay to do so (they can be mistaken too). That should never be your basis of doing something. You should instead if planning this check and double check for you own.

Just friendly advice though :)

12. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (just realized I double-posted...again :o:(, my apologies)
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so please correct me (and move it) if it's not, but...

I'm considering using hand drawn maps for the over-world but unsure whether or not this is ;
    - a good idea at all
    - readable enough to the player

This is an (WIP) example of what I mean
    img006.jpg
    Of course I would add some faded background colors (water-colored perhaps?) or a simple papyrus/scroll type color-scheme.
    Any feedback would be appreciated greatly! :D

13. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    the thing with parallax is the draw order. you want be able to pass under some of the things you have drawn. @Finnuval

So I had this idea for a game:

You play as a young child. You have to go through the game and interact with people, it's summer so there is no school for the character. The MC can go visit friends or shop with allowances or other rewards found in game.

The child has a collection of books, about 5. Each book is a different genre. If you choose to read a book, you enter the book and go to a new world set in the book. The levels would include characters, elements, and setting. Quests would be specific to the book's plot.

As you accomplished goals or defeated antagonists in some manner, you would collect rewards, that would assist in future books of that genre. You would be able to use money collected in game to purchase new books, or you could even use your library card for borrowing a book.

Time in a book would be double the speed of time outside a book. Time passing in a book would be reflected as reading in the real world and you would use your time and so on. So things like having to sleep early could impact your reading of a book. Save points on exit and beginning of chapters.

The books would be my collection of writings. I have about 50 or more stories throughout the years. Graphics would be NES or maybe even Genesis like. I would use my odd style for sprites. Music would be made with a manuscript composer software that exports to audio.

Idk, I thought maybe it would be a nice means for people to enjoy what I do for fun, art, music, writing, programming, etc.

14. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @chungsie I actually like this idea a lot. Only thing I would be unsure of is the double time thingy , but that's something only time can tell :guffaw:
    The core idea of travel in and out of books though is something I think is real fun to explore.

15. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Trying to come up with formula "Spend 30% of current HP to deal damage based on HP spend" for AoE attack.
    Not sure if it would be practical. Btw, base damage is equal to normal attack damage.

[​IMG]

16. Gamingstar

Gamingstar Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey guys, in my game there are going to be 10 to 14 different NPCs that give you 10 quests each in their own different style (Eg; huntng, housework) I'm looking for any ideas for the rest of the quest styles. Thanks in advance!

17. TeejayAnimates

TeejayAnimates Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey, I'm going to post this here for now. May move it to it's own thread if I put in into development, but my idea is as follows.
    Inspired by Yandere Simulator I was thinking of making a small RPG game which falls more into a "point and click" puzzler, but the pointing and clicking being more arrow keys and pressing z. Where it is 5 days until the festive where you will confess your love to Senpie, but you need to ensure no one else does so before then and each day will have you solving a puzzle to incapacitate a different "love rival" without getting caught. I'm linking to the "proof of concept" here (it's a download on my G-drive)

I'm looking for any kind of feed back, mainly in the vein of "does this work/is this interesting".

Things I am already aware of:
    >The sprites and portraits do no match 100% as the sprites are defaults and the portraits were drawn quickly as it is the programming I was trying to get to work.
    >There's very limited sound, this is because I didn't have time to try to find custom music, and the defaults weren't very fitting. Naturally more fitting sound effects and music would be a priority if this was to become a full game.
    >Dialog is bad, I'd actually write a script and get it proof read and what not.
    >Alignment of the text is janky, I'm looking into centering scripts and what not.
    >The tile sets for the desks are janky, I got a custom set off of Steam and I'm currently having to manually edit out the jank.
    >Better drawn custom images to form a more cohesive style will be taken into account if this becomes a legit game idea.

I'm not trying to shoot down criticism, but if your feedback does address the points above please expand on it with "you can find examples here" or "I'd do it more like this" and not just "lack of sound is disappointing".

There's 4 endings if I remember right and they should all work.

I look forward to your feedback, thank-you for your time.

18. Gamingstar

Gamingstar Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Your game sounds very interesting! I'm gonna download and test it now.

EDIT: I played the game to the end and I think it's a pretty solid game. The only problem I found was that there are no instructions, so I spent many minutes trying to figure out what to do. Other than that, it was great! Please keep me updated on the development process of this game, I like it a lot!

EDIT 2: I just noticed that there are different outcomes depending on what you do. Great common event system, I love those! I think I got all of the outcomes, very cool game so far, keep on working on it!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    angrychill and chungsie like this.
  19. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcisistic narcoleptic Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    im finally back and i have some more questions. in order to prevent confusion for when i ask for feedback on my games, im going to refer to them by their titles since ive now named my other game. the game that i was talking about a long time ago that had all those crazy races was called "defenders of riften" and the new game im working on instead of defenders of riften is called "fanterra" which is the one with all the changeable classes and stuff.

ive come to ask for some advice on one of my classes called the amazon. since my game has both male and female characters, it wouldn't really make much sense to call them the amazon class, since amazon warriors are primarily female in most works of fiction. the amazon class is a jungle warrior themed support class that uses a bow and earth magic. i wanna know if anyone can think of a better name for the class than amazon.

consolcwby likes this.
  20. TeejayAnimates

TeejayAnimates Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for your time :) It's probably a good idea to include a little intro introduction to kinda set up the controls and rules rather than just expecting people to start clicking blidnly on everything XD.

Gamingstar likes this.