Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Katasu Are you writing a VN? Because that sure read like a novel. I personally find it easier to write my game scenes like a movie, than as a novel. Anyway storywise it's an interesting beginning.

@bhindi1224 Anything that doesn't require manual labour, I guess (so not a bicycle). Your question immediately brought this to mind. As for attacks, maybe take a look at what some slime-like Pokémon as skills have and get some inspiration from there? Equipment wise I wouldn't pick anything too heavy (like armour, big axes/swords).

@Orpheus I personally don't care/know much about Alchemy, so either is fine. Maybe you could do both even?

2. KaiserSpin

KaiserSpin Warper

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hey guys, lately i got interested in RPG stats and tried to make my own so i would like to ask the opinion of people who know a lot about the topic, so please give me your feedback.

Character

Level 1

Title:

HP:100(1%/min) MP: 100(1%/min) SP:100(1%/min)

STR:10 (every 10 points = +10 carry capacity, +1% Physical Attack Damage, +1% Lifting Capacity, +1% Jumping Distance and +0.5%/min HP recovery)

DEX:10 (every 10 points= +1% Movement Speed, Attack Speed, Stealth, Evasion and Attack Accuracy.

VIT:10 (every 10 points = +10 ponts of HP and SP, +1% Decrease in Damage from physical attacks, +1% increase in physical durability and +1%/s SP recovery)

INT:10 (every 10 points = +10 ponts of MP and +1% increase in Magic Attack)

WIS:10 (every 10 points = +1% MP recovery +1% Decrease of damage from Magic Attack)

LUK:10 ( every 10 points = +1% chance of Critical Hit, Critical Avoid and chance of better loot)

3. mlogan

mlogan I am not sir, mr., dude or bro

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KaiserSpin I've merged your topic here, the best place to get feedback on this.

4. KaiserSpin

KaiserSpin Warper

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thanks for the help.

5. Manofdusk

Manofdusk Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been kicking around the idea of a game set from the PoV of a cursed set of armor. The armor cannot move without someone wearing it and even then not on its own. To that effect, the player party's movement would be scripted for the most part, with the player only being able to indirectly influence the character's movement through dialogue.

In battle, though, it's a different story as the armor has a variety of magical abilities at its disposal (limited by how much the player has influenced the wearer). The core concept is that the armor's power corrupts the wearer's personality to be more like the armor's and, if the wearer becomes fully corrupted, then their minds will be in sync and the armor will essentially be able to move as though it had a body of its own.

To drive it home, the player would have a couple of stories presented to him and the player could choose to help or hinder several groups of heroes over a couple of generations if the player chooses to get the characters killed (though each group would have a couple of endings too if the player wanted to see that group through). The idea is to play up the fact that you are not playing as a person, but rather as an inanimate object with a personality.

However, I'm wary of even starting a project like this without some feedback. I'm not 100% sure how player's would like not being able to directly control the characters in an RPG.

Roy Kiske likes this.
  6. Vincent Chu

Vincent Chu Writer and translator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've planned out most of my story but there's been a tiny concern that I've had since the beginning. I'm a bit worried that the name of my protagonist, Cento might bear too much resemblance to my own name (Vincent) and that might appear silly and put players off. Just wondering what people reading this thinks. The game itself is a traditional JRPG with a combination of comedy, tragedy, hope and romance and has numerous plot twists. I actually quite like the name Cento but I don't want all my efforts to be ruined because of it. Should I change it to something else or should I just stick with it?

Also, I've been wondering. I know double posting is against forum rules. However, if I feel like commenting on something or answering someone's question but also have some unrelated questions or requests of my own, can exceptions be made taking into account the reason for double posting?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. bhindi1224

bhindi1224 NOT Indian Okra

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Vincent Chu: If you are wondering if having it too close to your own name matters, to me it wouldn't. If you are wondering if it doesn't sound traditional, I wouldn't know. As a bonus though, while wandering around the web I found it amusing that Sentō is a communal bath house. Lol, and a cento is a type of poetry.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Vincent Chu and kaisielizen like this.
  8. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. I guess I'll continue to stick with it.

9. jerrypylant

jerrypylant Eventer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I made this using Sasuke Kannazuki's "svactorposition" plugin along with a lengthy common event.

The point of this creation was to give the player more controller over where his/her party is positioned in battle.

I made this for my game because i have proximity based AOES(Area of Effect) and Line AOES. Using this gives the player a tactical advantage on where to place the party members depending on the playstyle of the player or the Boss they are about to fight.

This is my biggest common event that I have created, if you want this in your game message me and ill help you create this effect for yourself.

I would also like to know everyone's thought on this and aoes only cover a portion of the battle field.

Example: An Aoe heal that only heals around the user or a blade beam that only hits enemies that are infront of the Actor.

This idea was based off of Lunar 2 Eternal Blue.

10. Maskey

Maskey Your local demon hunter

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This will be my first post, and I am not completely sure if this would be the correct spot to place it. So, please forgive me if I have made an error in that regard.

I'm trying to make my first real project. I've messed with RPG Maker sometimes when my parents owned VX a couple years ago. So I'd say, at the very least, I am able to make a generic RPG with few issues.

Now I've recently bought MV, and I would like to be more serious about it and make something at least a bit more unique. This started as a joke/little fun project for my own social circle, more so for practice. But it may be turning into something bigger. (Regardless, there will still probably be a lot of humor, as the whole idea isn't rather serious). I'm more than eager to look up how to accomplish what features I would like to do, rather than asking for it. First, though, I would like to ask for some feedback on the general ideas.

Summary
    I'd like to make a game focusing on a group of young adults. The general premise is that there is a garage band. They have hit a stump with the career they would like to pursue. One day, the singer, (Xela) wakes up late for their meetup. Hurriedly she rushes over to meeting spot. Unfortunately, the practice does not end up going so well. They keep hitting incorrect notes, electrical cords keep acting up, etc. All the members start to chug, bang, or caterwaul random lines that don't exist, simply to get their frustration out, then continue. However, the monstrosity they accidentally come up with just so happens to be the right notes to summon up a black magic/occult spell/etc. It sort of changes their reality, if you will. In this dark and negative dimension, they have to work together to overcome it and return back to the world with which they are familiar with. During this adventure they will turn into what they had always wanted to be. But they'll need to overcome their own flaws, as that will, quite literally, be their worst enemy.

Mechanics
    So far as battling goes, I think I would like it to be turn based, but have rhythm aspects to it. Kind of like Undertale.
    They will be performing actions using their respective instruments.
    As an example, say that the guitarist uses their guitar in the manner of an axe. In order to perform an attack, they would have to perform a simple "riff". The player would then have to match up the corresponding keyboard key to the moment a note is played, (which would be shown on the screen). Depending on how well they matched the notes, they can change the result of the attack.

Misc
    The characters are heavily (though not completely) based off real people, so if they had voices, they would belong to the person they are based off of. I have faith in the candidates' skills with acting, and those reasons do not come from bias. I have basic knowledge of using Audacity and can remove background noise/make it sound more crisp/etc, so recording with quality wouldn't be too bad of an issue.

If it matters at all, I would be using my own art for character portraits, title screen, and other aspects. I may even make my own sprites, but I would need to practice making that kind of art first.

Now here are the questions I have:

- Is the plot simply too wacky for the player to enjoy it?
    If so, how could I tweak it?

- What are your opinions on adding voice acting to important scenes? Not your opinion on VA in general, but for this idea specifically?
    (Regardless of which option I end up choosing, there will be original music and therefore some singing).

- So far as the battle system goes, are there any changes/something I should add to my idea?
    - Is it a decent idea? If not, what little aspects do you think would fit better with the setting?

- Is there anything else big that I am missing?

And I believe that should be all. Thank you very much for reading this ton of text, I just wanted to make sure I was thorough about everything ^^;;

11. bhindi1224

bhindi1224 NOT Indian Okra

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think the plot is fine. I'd check out your game. The voice acting in cutscenes, or even short blurbs for special moves or w/e would be fine as well I would think (I don't know anything about VX's ability to produce sound). Overall, it really does sound like something I"d like to play, a lot of people I know would too.

12. Vincent Chu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds more like a professionals plan than a newbies first game. However, the only potential downside I can think of so far is whether you or your friends might have fears (morphed into reality) that are actually interesting to your intended audiences or not in order to seriously captivate them.

kaisielizen likes this.
  13. kaisielizen

kaisielizen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't think the plot is *too* tacky, but it's a bit on that side. Maybe make the world already have magic and stuff in it - that would lower the tackiness, imo.

As for the battling (I don't know much about #2), I think it's a great idea, but it would be tough to implement. Also, maybe make other special things about the system so the rhythm isn't aspect doesn't feel like just a gimmick.

14. Winter_Beetle

Winter_Beetle Insect

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/8drdax4211rfrga/DG+Combat+Demo+V1.rar
    Are download links acceptable within this topic? I wouldn't make my own topic as this is just a single idea I want feedback on.
    I'm trying to use Yanfly's "Active chain skills" in my current RPG project and I wonder how well I've implemented it.

In the game I'm making, the player characters incorporate a lot of dance with "Lantern staves" into their battle techniques, and I'm trying to show that with active chain skills. How is the battle system I've incorporated into the demo? Does it make sense?

15. mlogan

mlogan I am not sir, mr., dude or bro

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  16. kaisielizen

kaisielizen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok, so I tried this out, and I did every encounter once. From my perspective as a player, it was very confusing. The names of the chainable abilities were on the longer side, and that really made it hard to follow, as I am a slowish reader. And it was kind of overwhelming. Point managing was also excessive. Could you maybe have Battery recharge a bit every turn, and then have Recharge as a backup? Or what if you nixed the points altogether and just had the Druid Dance, Defend, and Items be their only abilities?

Winter_Beetle likes this.
  17. Winter_Beetle

Winter_Beetle Insect

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, I've been getting a lot of mixed reviews with my combat demo, so I'm thinking I might have to go with something a little more simpler and easier to understand. Thank you for your honest review, it helps a lot.

For some reason, changing the timer on the Active Chain skills script actually increases the time spent waiting for the next moves you can use in the chain. I intended to have the "druid arts" tab there so you could use skills and not have to waste turns finding what move you wanted to use in the Active Chain skills. (Hopefully that made sense.)

I'm thinking I might also merge MP and Battery into one, just for the sake of simplicity.

kaisielizen likes this.
  18. kaisielizen

kaisielizen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No problem! I do like the dance chaining idea, and I think it could definitely be implemented well! And feel free to message me if you want any feedback or need someone to bounce ideas off of - I love talking battle systems @u@

Winter_Beetle likes this.
  19. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard

First Language:
    English
    Hey everyone, I'm making a dungeon crawler with several hero characters you can choose to make parties out of. You pick a leader and you play through the dungeon run w/ story given in small snippets. If you have a moment, could you critique this little intro for one of them, Andrea the Fog Witch?:

I have lived a rather fulfilling life. In my lifetime, I've faced great evil and won, overcome adversity in overwhelming odds, and protected those that could not protect themselves.

And when the wars were over, I settled in a tiny forest village, fell in love, and had many children. Nothing was as rewarding as seeing their smiling faces.

Then one day, those children grew up, went on their own adventures, some even fell in love, & had children themselves.

To be able to watch them all grow into fine young men and women has been one of my greatest treasures. But the news of the death of one of my children...

That has to be the most sorrowful thing one can ever experience. Through this grief, I can only think of my grandson who must feel so alone at this time.

With all the haste these old bones could muster, I set out. I could not be there for my child, but I will be there for theirs.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  20. Orpheus

Orpheus Villager

First Language:
    English
    Looking to get feedback on an idea I've been mulling over for a while. Gonna just go with this format (since it looked nice above).

Some notes beforehand, this takes heavily from Norse Mythology, particularly, the Völsunga saga, which tells the tale of Sigurd (though I reference as Siegfried) and his exploits. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Völsunga_saga, for more background).

Plot
    The tale takes place in a world, currently dubbed "Historia", starting in the country of "Völsun"/"Völsunga. Currently in a time of peace, Völsun is ruled over by the queen Hjördís (or Hiordis, for the sake of convenience) and her son Siegfried "Sieg", the crown prince of Völsun and son of the late king, Sigmund, who had lost his life sealing away the dreaded dragon, Fafnir. The peace does not last for long when the seal restraining Fafnir, Sigmund's legendary sword Gram, is removed from the sanctum where Fafnir was sealed by none other than Sieg's own friend; Eirik. Sieg attempts to confront Eirik, though is injured in the process when he removes the sword, slashing Sieg in the chest and breaking part of it as well. Undoing the seal, Eirik becomes the vessel for Fafnir and acts as the apostle for his revival. Empowered by both Fafnir's revival and his own blood as a "Child of Fafnir", Eirik uses his newfound powers to awaken the dormant blood of various Children of Fafnir within the city, turning them into Dragonic soldiers of Fafnir, along with summoning many long-thought extinct Dragons. Corrupted by Fafnir's influence, Eirik takes over Völsun, forcing the queen to have Sieg and the head of the guard, Gunvor, evacuated from the kingdom, though at the cost of her own life.

Displaced from home, injured, and distraught, Sieg, at a loss for options, decides to take matters into his own hands and find a way to defeat Fafnir, Eirik, and take back his home. Having learned as much about warfare from his father as possible, he begins his journey to build an army from the bottom up, make his way back home, and reclaim his kingdom.

Some post notes :
    - No, Sieg isn't some kid that just happens to be good with a sword. For one, he's roughly 22-24. Secondly, it is Völsun tradition that all members of the "royal family" be trained in combat (and in Sieg's case, warfare tactics as well).
    - This only takes inspiration from the Völsunga saga, hence why Fafnir was an enemy to both Sigmund and Sieg.
    - To make this make more sense, I have to explain: Within this world, Fafnir (before he was sealed) had been around centuries. Having known of eventual demise and revival, had had gone through methods to have his blood placed in the bodies of many regular humans, which would then be passed down through generations. Once he revives through Eirik, he can awaken his blood within people, which makes them subservient to Fafnir and turns them "Dragonic"; They gain Dragon-like armor, heightened fighting capability, etc. Those affected are the "Children of Fafnir".
    - Magic does exist in this world. Just thought I'd mention that.
    - One more word: Balmung

Mechanics
    1. Combat - Greatly inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem (the more recent ones), I was planning on going for a Tactical RPG system. I've already begun looking into Lecode's Tactical Battle System, and it seems right up my alley. Nuff said.
    2. Army Building - Basically, you would start with just the protagonist (Sieg) and Gunvor, though the army would grow as time went on. (Mind you when I say army, don't think U.S. Army, think Shepherds from FE Awakening). Similarly to Fire Emblem, you would have characters that join your cause through the plot along with opportunities to gain new allies in battle, though it won't be as simple as just walking up to a character on the field and saying "Hey, wanna join my army?" Which brings us to my next point:
    3. Negotiation - Using a bit of wit (and possibly money), you would be able to verbally negotiate in various ways: Bring enemies over to your side, end a battle peacefully, get more resources for your army, so on and so forth.
    Other Potential Mechanics
    4, Support - No, not Fire Emblem Supports (at least not now...maybe..), support for your cause. The larger your army is and the more battles you've won may sway support from other kingdoms/towns in your favor. Doing "side-quests" for them may help as well.

Related Questions
    - What would be proper classes to have in a world based around Norse mythology? The culture of a land somewhat comes into play when considering what type of "warriors" there would be, so this is rather important. FE deals with this by having different countries based on real life cultures, and thus have a larger selection of classes to pick from (Ex. In Fates, Hoshido is based on Japanese culture and has Samurai and Ninja classes while Norh, which is based on European culture, has more medieval classes like Armored Knight and Cavalry). Not sure I could go that route though...
    - Even with the battle system being the way it is, would an exploration aspect still work in a game like this? I don't mean dungeon crawling; something closer to scouting out locations and possibly spying on enemies (for a potential sneak attack)?

I know this is a lot (and I mean A LOT), but if anyone could give any kind of feedback for this overzealous idea, I'd be greatly appreciative.