Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Lady-J

Lady-J Badlander Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the feedback! The game will be short and take place in a single building and said building’s immediate surroundings, i'm just planning on using the characters again.

Oh, and i should probably explain the succubus thing. As far as the settings demons go, a succubus is ranked just below the demon gods. And as the demons climb the ranks like D&D devils, each one is a warrior with an average of a few hundred years of combat experience in various different forms, relic equipment, powerful support magic, and an aura of dark glory that projects infallible charm and charisma that prevents their own force from breaking, and can break the wills or convert his or her enemies to the demons invasion force. Speaking of converting enemies, they can corrupt mortals hearts with any of the seven deadly sins, offering anything from strength to mow down any enemy (wrath) or a territory where everyone lives their lives according to the succubi or incubi’s morals and ideal wqy of life, like a Happy Days atmosphere enforced by 1984 style surveillance (this would be a pride succubus’ offer and likely what they’ve done to their own territory.) Most feel mortals are beneath them and wouldn't consider a physical relationship.

Their only real weakness is that they have a need to keep their excitement up, and so they have to fight in close combat to feel their enemies die, except the pride succubi, who are SO much better than their depraved peers and can stand to use a gun for the beginning of a battle….even if the do need to attempt a bayonet charge at some point.

They also are a lot harder to summon to realspace.

The tragedy isn't that becoming a succubus is a downgrade from a knight, it's that it means Falconer gave up her ethics and humanity to take tje easy way out.

2. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Geez... I've actually put off posting this because the sheer amount of inspiration/ideas I have is almost overwhelming.

So! The foundation of my RPG is well, pretty much a staple in the genre: Good vs evil, entire world doomed as we know it if big bad so-and-so isn't defeated. Most of the games I've played and love follow this: Breath of Fire, Lunar, Lufia, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana and Shining Force just to name a few. Of course, each of these games have their own approach (most notably the combat systems) and while I certainly can't utilize ALL of their mechanics, I'd like to pay homage the best I can and create a game others would enjoy playing.

As of right now, all I have is the very basic premise and a title. DISHARMONIA: The story of Balanz, a thriving world whose prosperity is maintained by the forces of Light and Darkness (Lumen/Obscura), only to become threatened by an entity known as Khaos. The main character's journey would be one of discovery and change; his/her choices affecting others' lives, opinions and even Balanz itself (i.e The Light/Dark World in LoZ: Link to the Past and Kefka's victory in FFVI). There will be both rewards and consequences of the protagonist's choices, such as character deaths, decision-based recruitment (which could lead to powerful companions, or dangerous foes) and world alteration (opening new locations or closing others off forever).

Well, there we go... I am totally and completely open and understanding of any suggestions and feedback, and thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcisistic narcoleptic Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ive finally decided to get to work with writing down the plot of the first chapter in defenders of riften. idk if this is a good place to post stuff like story details, but im posting it here anyways. just let me know if theres a better place to post stuff like this.

anyways, here are a few notes for the main plot for the first chapter:
    (ps, ignore all grammar mistakes kuz these are just notes.)
    intro narrarion
    konai saves elissa from a couple of thugs on the road to a town
    konai comes to village to see members preparing to fight hobgoblins and joins kuz loot
    konai is tormented by a purple hobgoblin named butt monkey
    konai joins the fight and meets leori passed out in woods
    lady morah is indured by hobgoblin and leori gets revenge
    konai helps leori defeat troll guard and enters old temple
    konai and leori discover 2 orcs in temple trying to steal item but fail
    konai and leori fight 2 bogeys left behind by the 2 evil orcs
    konai takes the artifact kuz he can and leori takes the bogey's weapon
    butt monkey is the last survivor and is turned into a slave
    they return and elissa talks with leori while konai leaves without mention of the thing he took
    konai is about to head off when leori asks to join kuz the weapon he found is evil
    they go to the city and totally dont get attacked by hundreds of mobs
    goes to designer blacksmith and he tells them its demonic
    they try to take a shortcut back to leori's town but end up witnessing a murder
    the murderers attack but konai and leori win
    murderers turn out to be from a powerful gang in the city
    they then get abducted by more gang members
    they meet van houzen and he forces them to pay off the incident kuz they killed his best men
    attention it brought to the fact that his assistant has a dead look in her eyes
    they're given a job to retrieve protection money from cheif juakami in oal enbis
    they stay the night at van houzen's and leori lies to parents about staying at an inn
    they set off on their job and totally dont get attacked by hundreds of mobs on the way
    they reach oal enbis to find that the gates are closed and heavily guarded
    they meet a young girl named mystia who says her friend was taken prisoner
    mystia teams up with the 2 to sneak in by using a spell called senseless
    they reach pijami prison cell and try to break her out but the mamali guards catch them
    they fight for a bit until their officer gamika arrives and tells them this was a misunderstanding
    they free pijami and pijami praises mystia's bravery and ignores konai and leori entirely
    gamika takes an interest to how they were able to sneak past elite mamali guards and hires them
    she brings them to meat jukamaki and tells them about the feral's invasion
    gamika reports that they worship a manticore named ungakaraki
    konai mentiones that they need them to pay for van houzen's protetcion
    jukamaki informs that her payment is incomplete because of the feral's raids
    konai's group then goes to the woods to assist in getting her supplies back and killing ferals
    they make it to a secret passage that leads to the feral camp and fight grilgin the amplifier
    they kill grilgin and are able to help the mamali gain more territory
    they go deeper into the woods and find the stoneroot citadel where a girl is being sacrificed
    they save her she introduces herself as ciella and she tells them that shes a freelancer who was sent to go and take out the feral's tribe leaders and needs to reclaim her weapons
    after helping retrieve her weapons they explore the citadel more and take out each faction's cheif 1 by 1 until they go to middle
    they use the keys that they got from each chief and go into the boss's chambers
    they see ungakaraki guarding a haul of ahn'tlo artifacts including a magic totem that was meant to be given to van houzen
    they kill ungakaraki and all the remaining ferals flee the area now that their god is dead
    konai and his party heroically return and jukamaki gives the stuff she owes to konai
    mystia mentions that her and pijami need to return to camino's dojo first
    ciella is excited by the fact that mystia trains under camino and wants to join
    they travel to heldrich and meet camino and ciella is star strucken by her
    camino shows her guests around and tells leori that she could train him in using his flail
    konai leaves leori and ciella to camino and goes off to turn in van houzen's job
    van houzen informs that konai has a long ways to go before hes clear and gives him more work
    he tells konai that his new job is retrieving a relic from the holy grounds that was stolen by rogue priests
    konai convinces van houzen that leori shouldn't be part of this and that he'll take all the work
    van houzen agrees that leori wil be free after the new job and that he'll send quorra to help just in case
    quorra still looks dead eyed but only slightly this time
    konai goes back to camino's dojo
    cuts to elissa back at dandaval having a dream where she's greeted by molimuzz the god of wisdom
    he tells elissa that konai has an important relic that she needs to retrieve right away
    end of chapter 1

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. marbeltoast

marbeltoast Your future fish emporer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey gang!

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to go over the plot for my game, and offer some constructive criticism and other feedback!

Now, it's kinda hard to detatch the plot from the style of game-play, so I'll just say now that it's a rouge-like set in around about the 11th century. There's magic and gods, and some of the gods make all the others look like ants, because they're pretty much lovecraftian elder gods. Also, the game is kinda mysterious, due to it's "fear of the unknown" theme, so I think we should start where the player starts and go from there.

The opening cutscene depicts a princess sending a distress call. She appears to be communicating with our protagonist via their dreams. The message is brief, she's tells that she's a princess, that she's been locked in a room by the emporer of the ocean, and that her captor is the one with the key. She says that her homeland is in peril and that you must slay the emporer of the ocean to get her cell key. Then, she provides directions to the tower (think the spire of the corpse city of ryleigh) which allows access to the ocean depths, and the dream ends.

There are multiple different player characters, but our default protag simply accepts this quest with no questions asked and the next scene shows them getting off a boat and entering the upper layer of this tower. They find a journal of somebody who found this tower long ago and made records of what strange things lurked down there in the depths. Reading this journal is how I deliver the tutorial to the player. Once they reach the final few pages, they learn of the author's horrid fate (he starts going mad), and how the ladder that led down into the tower was burned in order to keep the monsters trapped down there. Jumping down the hole is now a one way trip.

This is where standard play begins. Our hero fights their way down into the abyss through fish-folk, haunted paintings of royalty long-gone, and vicious maritime monstrocities, and eventually (assuming they don't stop playing) they find the princess in a cell. She warns that a huge monster guards the emporer and that it would be foolish to fight it without first receiving a blessing from her to bolster your strength. The player gets to choose whether to take the blessing or not, and if they do, the fight is much easier.

If they take the blessing and win the fight with the beast, they reach the emporer. Then they learn that the emporer is a normal human, like they are. Then the emporer attacks. It's a false fight, as the player attacks once and insta-kills the old man. Then the princess walks into the throne room and shuts the door behind her. She's holding a trident and wearing a sadistic smile. Try as they might, the player is somehow unable to fight back as the princess murders them in cold blood. Game Over. But then a new character unlocks. The player, upon starting a new run as this character, learns that this new character worships an evil god who guards their mind against psychic attacks, but that they have been having the dreams about the princess anyway. They set off to the tower to learn who this princess really is, to be able to out-power a god.

Suppose that player doesn't take the blessing. If not, the fight with the beast is much, much harder, but they can still survive and get to the throne room. Everything plays out the same until the point where the princess walks in, because she actually runs in, holding the trident like a lance, and tries to ambush the player. The fight begins, and this time the player can actually fight and damage the princess. If they win, then the princess throws them back against a wall with a blast of magic, and creates a shield around themself. Then, they begin a prayer to something called "The Formlessness." At the end of this prayer, a wormhole opens above the player and an inky black figure reaches out and engulfs them. Game Over.

But the player has a name now. "The Formlessness." And the princess isn't the only one who can pray to a god. Throughout the runs down the tower, the player will have encountered the occasional prayer shrine, where the can contact and make pacts with gods. If they speak this new name at one of these shrines, another wormhole opens, and a voice pours out, screaming something unintelligable. The player is now a disciple of the formlessness, and when they reach the jail cell, the princess isn't even in there. Cue the beast fight and emporer one-hit-kill, and then the princess finally shows up. She explains to the player that they both worship the same god, and that the player has done them a great service.

She spills the beans. She is the princess of the ocean, and the player just murdered her father. She explains that she was physically prevented from doing so by her deceased mother, who was a fishfolk. She then explains the spell she had used in prior runs is actually a curse, that gives something powerful in exchange for the target's freedom. It was this very spell that prevented her from slaying her father directly. She offers to use the spell to turn the player into a fishfolk, that they might live on in the oceanic society, and serve her forever.

If the player accepts, Game Over. You turn into a fishfolk and survive the ordeal, now a common member of the new society ruled by the princess. If not, you fight to the death. This time, the fight has two phases, one with her more humanoid form and one where she takes her true, half human, half fish hybrid form. She cannot call upon her god for help because it has no reason to help either of you more that the other. Win or lose, this is the last fight. If you win, you become the new ruler of the ocean by conquest, but you're a puppet of the formlessness, so it's kind of a pyrrhic victory. If you lose, it's just a typical you died game over.

There are various ways that the player can learn some of this information outside of the game endings and final boss fights. The player can find several books around the tower that provide story info without explicitly saying that that's what they're doing. Also, as the player starts to go madder and madder, npc's and enemies will occasionally provide certain snippets of info in strange utterances as part of the game's madness side-effects.

Well, that was a novel and a half, wasn't it? Hope you're still awake! What did you think? As I said before, constructive criticism would be appreciated! And don't feel the need to sugar-coat it! If you need to be a little rude to convey what you're thinking, then I'd rather you do over deciding not to raise a valid concern.

As always, thanks for reading (even if you were skim reading near the end) and have a nice day!

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @marbeltoast I've merged your topic with this one, the best place to get this sort of feedback.

marbeltoast likes this.
  6. AllenYu1984

AllenYu1984 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    So my completed game has been rejected and deleted by force. Because it contains ripped materials for unknown reason that might be violate.

:frown:
    Or "DOH!"
    Reaction by Homer Simpson
    I've been working very hard for Anime X Undertale for my ultimate creativity. It was my best of fan made games ever =)
    Maybe I understand and not to use ripped material that I wasn't own from their work.
    Maybe from time to time, I'll do for making a great fan made games =)

7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are free to make fan games with ripped material if you wish. You are just not free to post it here.

We used to approve such posts and only take them down if the topic was reported. However, it was to a point that topics were getting reported so quickly that there is no sense in approving them.

These are the official forums of Degica and as such, for legal reasons, more care has to be taken with such matters. Perhaps one of the fan made sites will accept your game topic.

Finnuval likes this.
  8. AxelNinjaGamer

AxelNinjaGamer Random Dragon Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I’m working on a story involving different worlds/ dimensions. Obviously this means you’ll be going to most if not all of them. My question is, how long should the “prologue” be, in other words how long should I wait until I introduce the second world? My second question is, how long should the story keep you in each world? I know these are vague questions, but I’m really just looking for opinions based on the idea.

9. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @BadLittleSeed Personally there's little feedback I can give. I do like the idea of player decisions affecting the world though.

@gigaswardblade Personally I'm not a big fan of a side turning the others into slaves even if they're orcs unless you want to show that the kingdom is corrupt in some way. Other than that, that's a lot of stuff for one chapter.

@marbeltoast Personally I don't like the idea of having to replay a game multiple times to get all the endings and such, but I can tolerate it more for a rougelike. The basic premise of the story is pretty cool though.

@AxelNinjaGamer The prolouge only has to be long enough to establish what the world it takes place in and who the characters that live in it are. Similar idea for the other worlds. Unfortunately this is an infamous "it depends" response.

10. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, trouble - I do have a proper thread for my game in Ideas and Prototypes now, if you wanted to check it out. I'm updating it as I complete things.:)

11. marbeltoast

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interesting. What about the idea is unappealing to you? Is it the time investment that such a game would demand? Or something else entirely?

12. AllenYu1984

AllenYu1984 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Perhaps so. Maybe the Undertale franchise and I hope Toby Fox is not getting involved for my ultimate project that I gave credited to Toby Fox that I use Undertale sprite. And Final Fantasy NES enemy sprite ripped from video game and I gave credit to rightful owners to Square Enix and licensed by Nintendo. Because I never play Undertale but Final Fantasy the first I only played in remake version, it was the perfect game for Final Fantasy franchise. And Anime faces from the Anime series. I just gave credit to the right owners to them =)

13. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes its mainly the time investment. Granted as a rougelike it changes a lot of the major problems (repeated content).

14. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When did I say the orcs are enslaved by an empire?

15. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hm, I thought you said the hobogoblin butt monkey was made a slave (I noticed I said orc earlier, my bad). Who was he enslaved by then?

16. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    a farmer in the village made butt monkey do his work as punishment for stealing his stuff. do not feel sympathy towards butt monkey.

trouble time likes this.
  17. marbeltoast

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You know, I'll be honest. "Do not feel sympaty towards Butt Monkey" was not something I expected to read today. :guffaw:

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  18. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gigaswardblade, what did butt monkey steal why he get punish on harshly?

19. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    everything

20. Lemonrice

Lemonrice Villager Member

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Second try... I really hope I'm posting this on the right spot, because it is actually game design, but project specific....

currently I'm a little stuck finding the desirable behavior for one of my core mechanics.

The base mechanics works as follows:

The main character is presented with a choice of possible party members, however he has to gain deeds with them if he wants any of them to join. Deeds are gained in battle, and lost when a party member is dismissed or dies in battle.

Where I am stuck now:

Currently, when a hired party member loses his last deed during death in battle, he is removed by the end of the battle. That way, it would be possible to have him continue fighting if the player uses a revive spell on him. However, the hireling still gets removed from the party after the battle has ended. (think of Shadow, from ff6)

The alternative would be, to have the hired party member removed mid battle, as soon as the deeds run out. It would be logical, as the "payment" for the member runs out, BUT the player could end up mid boss fight, facing the boss all by himself.

So, my personal preference would be the second option, as it forces the player to enter bossfights more prepared, having his deeds fully stocked up, PLUS I like the mechanic, it reminds me a lot of how summoning spirits in shadowrun (pen and paper) works. But I see, that it might be annoying having to face the boss with only one character, I'm having a hard time telling what the desired behavior could be.

The question to you:

If the last deed of a hired party member runs out, would you rather

A ) have him removed immediately, even mid fight
    B ) be able to revive him and keep him to the end of battle

and why?