Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Palpaleos

Palpaleos Studio Tamamo Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Idea may or may not be a good one. So I thought I would ask here.
    Basically I thought I would add something akin to paranormal activity that pops up every now and again and chases the player. Note that it is completely invisible as it's more something of a poltergeist then a physical entity. So basically, really cool animation abuse. Gives me an excuse to use animations too. Which is good.

2. pickledylans

pickledylans lov the cronch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds really interesting to me! If its completely invisible how do you plan on conveying that to the player?

3. Palpaleos

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well it's less of an event in itself, and more of a series of events that trigger in sequence. Imagine walking down a hall and the ceiling lamps start breaking and lights go out. I'm also planning on adding FallenAngelOlivia's horror effects as a clear indicator that poltergeist activity is about to happen. I can also do stuff by copying tiles into big images sized for the animation editor, and making it so i have more control of them. That way I can throw chairs and tables *and entire dining room sets* at the player.

4. pickledylans

pickledylans lov the cronch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    sounds cool! cant wait to see how it turns out :)

5. Venamous

Venamous Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My idea is that it's a horror game about these children, from the ages of 6-12, who have been experimented on by a group trying to make either an immortality gene or an incognito weapon I haven't decided. There's 12 kids, projects C-1 through 12, and you play as C-13. The goal is to befriend these other projects and be able to use all their mutations together to escape from the lab and find their families or just be free in general. You will get different endings based on how many you befriend and how many perish from certain choices you make. There's practically no adult interaction, save for Dr. Sara Brooke who watches over the children and transfers them between their rooms, the recreation room, and the lab rooms.
    I need help filling in the middle as well as potential help in terms of a programmer and potentially a composer, but that can be addressed down the line.

6. Palpaleos

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This sounds more like a scifi game then a horror game. If your going to appeal to the horror rpg fanbase. You should find ways to appeal to them.

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Final Fantasy 2 (Or Final Fantasy IV originally.) for the USA SNES is one of my all time favorite games. Objectively speaking, it’s quite a simple game with an arguably cliched story. Maybe it’s nostalgia working, but I can’t help but love this game. I’ve always wanted to do my own version of it. Not a fan game mind you. So Cecil, Kain and gang won’t be involved. I won’t be messing with Square’s ip. What I mean is my version of a Dark Knight turned Paladin story, with original characters and a new storyline. A spiritual remake if you will. I’m also of the idea that you play as the evil Dark Knight for a longer period before starting your path to light. Also this time the Dark Knight is truly evil, at first anyway. Not like Cecil, who seriously, was never an evil guy to begin with. How did this guy ever become a Dark Knight? He’s like goody two shoes wearing black armor! Anyway I digress. For my game, I am thinking of a formerly evil man, and his path to redemption. Would you want to play something like this? If it ever got published as a commercial game would you pay for it?

8. Pix3M

Pix3M Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's not what they were asking. The person you were replying to is concerned that their game idea is not politically correct and will cause unwanted drama. ESRB ratings and outrage from feminists are two completely different groups. E-rated games such as Mario can still attract criticism from feminists.

I am one of those social justice types that people dislike so my advice for @Mordridakon: Rape is a really sensitive topic so if you're not prepared to juggle chainsaws, better safe than sorry. Ultimately both you and the feminists have their freedom to speak their mind.

Will the game idea actually get outrage? Probably from like one or two people, maybe. If you want the game to be self-aware, you'd have to put in a lot of effort to read up on toxic masculinity and rape culture. Who wants to do that, really? That would make most people uncomfortable.

If you want it to be edgy, you'll get the reactions. But unless you're willing to do the above to know who your potential opponents are and know how to get crap past the radar, it's probably better safe than sorry

9. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Be true to your creative vison.

10. Mordridakon

Mordridakon I am a dragon! Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My purpose with the post was to gauge how SJW the RPGMAKER community is, as let's be honest, they're the ones who are going to play the game. Knowing your audience is key. But it seems there are all types here.
    I think I'm going to be true to my creative vision as multiple people have said.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    trouble time likes this.
  11. Pix3M

Pix3M Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like you got an audience of dudes with no concept of bodily autonomy. Have fun

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Mordridakon : The idea of a guy out to score (as you put it) has been done before, Leisure Suit Larry did it in the 80's. But I think you would want to make sure the game is tasteful somehow, which might require you to test what you got so far and learn how to fix it. And yes, your first attempt may risk offending someone, so learn from that. Maybe see if you can find someone you can have an honest dialogue with about those topics without it becoming a shouting match and see if they will let you run your ideas by them.

@watermark : I think that has promise. It might be tricky handling the evil side though, I find I tend to flub badly when I try to write those scenes as I either am not showing it well, or I go so extreme that they do every bad thing under the sun. True story on that in the spoilers.

I wrote a paper for a psych class during a term where we had to take a fictional person and take them from conception to death, explaining things that happen to them in terms of Eric Erikson's stages of development. Well, that had been a rough term for me, so I took it out on my poor fictional person, who was born of a 15 year old, ended up in foster care, and it went downhill from there. Got an A, but I joked the teacher should have given me an A+, as in an A, plus an appointment with the school psychologist.

watermark and BadLittleSeed like this.
  13. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sounds like you cant distinguish reality from fiction.

14. Pix3M

Pix3M Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fiction is how you teach others how to feel about the topic. There are plenty of men who do not treat the subject with the seriousness it deserves. Works that trivialize the matter only adds to the problem.

15. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Pix3M, I do not judge until the game is finished because I do not know. Plus history is full injustice and many people being oppressed. I do not think to be hateful help people love each other and understanding. You can PM me if you want to talk more.

@Venamous sounds like a good start.

@watermark, I think your ideas have potential. I have too many games readily sorry about that. I have to pay some of them if I have time.

watermark likes this.
  16. Mordridakon

Mordridakon I am a dragon! Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm putting the game in Games In Development for that reason, to put it out there and get a response.

17. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Pix3M : I think the problem here is people are forgetting that games are FICTION. That means they will not, nor do they have to, match our society or our societial standards. If I made a game in 15th century Europe, I should not use 21st century standards in how I portray the people or their actions, as it would be unrealistic. And if I'm making a fictional society, why are they suddenly more advanced than we are in how they handle people and situations? Why didn't they go in a different direction instead? Maybe they are more advanced in one way, but not another. Or maybe they are stuck in the 1st century still in how they handle things and situations.

Now as to your post I think the issue is most games and developers don't think about that, and instead just put something controversial into a game to have it, and yes, that's a bad idea.

@Mordridakon : I would have some friends test it first if possible before letting the internet dissect it. The internet is not nice, and you are likely to get more bad reviews than good, and maybe not anything of usefulness in the reviews either.

18. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Then make a gamr that takes it more seriously instead of trying to shame people into displaying your worldview.

Also trying to teach people how they should feel is creepy as all hell.

19. Pix3M

Pix3M Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It goes both ways. People tell ME how to feel about topics, that I should simply accept really creepy game ideas as normal.

20. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I mean when did anyone here do that? Not yo mention you are just charging windmills. You're just projecting somr idea that this game will say "rape is okay" and trying to shame the creator into not making it, as far as im converned your not worth listening to. Someone tried something similar about a year ago and they proved not to be worth listening too as well