Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Pix3M and @trouble time This is straying off of giving feedback. Please do not use this thread to argue. If you'd like to open a discussion on how serious games should treat certain sensitive topics, or however you'd phrase it, then do so in General Discussion.

2. Pix3M

Pix3M Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was told not too long ago that political arguments are discouraged here. Is this true?

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Political discussion in regards to game development are acceptable. Debating if Trump is a good president or not in General Lounge would not be acceptable (no comments from anyone on this, just an example). Discussing how politics are played out in your game is acceptable, as long as the discussion is kept civil. We do monitor such discussions to make sure they stay civil and on track.

Mordridakon, trouble time and Pix3M like this.
  4. Mordridakon

Mordridakon I am a dragon! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't have anyone I know that can test it, that's why I'm putting it out there. I am a self-published author, so believe me, I know how mean the internet is. But all it takes is that one helpful review out of all the trash to make it worth it. Heck, the most helpful review I ever got was a one-star scathing review, because it laid out a blueprint on how to improve.
    Edit: I guess what I am saying, I've found the only way to really improve my work is to be torn apart by wolves(trust me my writing improved 100% when I did). So please approve my thread ^-^

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just want to show all of you may be coming up with something else.

A secret cult of Tarmism
    It is a secret organization because this nation has a state religion policy and just want to practice their weird beliefs. It is not an evil cult.
    The believers meet in underground temples and it is popular among the military because of the fraternity clue and has a tradition of strength training. Their initiates were required to swear an oath of secrecy and dedication for all members' safety. They have a
    communal ritual meal and worship the Unconquered Sun god.

Their festivals are a festival of the light, a festival of commemoration, and a festival of the Summer solstice. Residues of the animal leftover are burned for regular sacrifice. Prayers were addressed to the Sun three times a day, and Sunday was especially sacred. Their specialty is large-scale feasting party.

6. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm wondering if i have too many different methods of killing the player. I'm gonna list them here and some are more fatal then others.

All of these are on a character basis, with exceptions. Also if MC dies. instant gameover. That god for save crow. :/

Soul Depletion (HP) It hits zero, you die.
    If Insanity or Despair hit 1000, (some events do damage in the triple damage) they are removed.
    Traps... (Instant Death on trigger)
    Frakenstien... (Instant Death on touch, but is easy to avoid)
    Carmillia... (answer wrong or break her heart, you can use the cross to repel her however but it results in a forced destruction route) you die
    Darkness... Bring a lanter
    FEAR... (You can last at most 3 minutes and sometimes no more 60 seconds until your mind is drained into a state of maximum despair. nothing will kill you quicker then fear it self.)
    A certain giant spider I named Jorogumo (cause why not)
    Any other hostile entities :)

Is this overkill?

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Palpaleos It’s not overkill, as long as you set the right tone for it early on. For example, many horror games have you die almost a few seconds into the game. Then players go, “Oh! This is a game where instant death is common.” They will expect instant deaths and not get mad. If on the other hand most of your game is a regular rpg, and you have this unexplained instant death section that unexpectedly forces a player to redo a large part of the game, then they will probably get mad at you.

8. ZekeyDevine

ZekeyDevine Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tentatively Titled "Sweetheart's Journey" I have envisioned a game, inspired by the recipe mechanic seen in all the (actually decent) Paper Mario games, where you take control of a kid (named Ranna for a girl or Ronno for a boy) with a Frog cap who lives in a world called Yum Tum, which is centered around food. You hail from a kingdom somewhat inspired by France (hence the frog hat). You aspire to become the world's greatest chef, but your skill is not yet refined. Your best friend, Noodle, advises you to enter a dish into the upcoming competition to see which kingdom has the best chef. Without the skill to make any dish taste phenomenal, you elect to instead make a dish that simply cannot be screwed up: Sweetheart Stew, a legendary dish that is said to taste so fulfilling that the dead can be brought back to life.
    The ingredients are guarded by many powerful chefs who once tried, and failed to collect all the ingredients themselves, and thus were cursed by the original guardian of the Sacred Sweetheart Radish, a powerful and greedy dragon named Mortar, to guard over the other remaining ingredients so he could keep the dish all to himself for eternity.
    You, your friend Noodle, and two more tag-alongs met throughout the adventure to make it to Pestle Peak to confront Mortar and claim his Sweetheart Radish to win the competition and be declared the best Chef in the world.

I have a thread on the Game Mechanics with the same title that goes into how the game would potentially function.

It would have a cutesy art style with thick outlines (about the only way I can draw attractive pixel art XD) and bright colours. If I had any concept art on hand I'd add it here, but for now, I just want opinions or contributions to the idea itself.

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ZekeyDevine General Discussion is not for feedback on individual projects, it is for looking at broad themes affecting the making of games.
    I am merging this with the thread which is for feedback on story ideas at an early stage.

10. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I have this loose idea for a short sideproject about what goes on in the game when your Leave it off. Basically common to popular belief video game characters know they are video game characters. When the game is shut off the clicks gather and party. But their is one group who does not party. THE VILLAINS. They get the idea that it's time to change things and go turbo, and so begins a lunatic Sorceress's journey to make sure the heroes die but the player can still win the game. Also lots of fourth wall breaking obviously will go on here. Thoughts? Is this a good idea, or am I out of my mind.

Thothdan likes this.
  11. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It sounds like it could be fun, but it all comes down to execution.

12. KST_

KST_ Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Umm... Hi! I hope that I'm posting this on the correct thread, so here's my idea:

I want to make a game where you control an "anomaly", that is basically a spirit/ghost that works for the police of the game's universe.

Gameplay Mechanics
    The anomaly will be able to possess bodies such as Suspects of crimes and victims that are awfully traumatized, and by doing that, it will gain total control of that body, being able to see memories, walk, talk, etcetera;

By controlling a body, you will be able to mold the game's future, by hiding the truth of suspects, changing the fate of a person by controlling (s)he, and change the ghost itself personality, all of this depending on what choices you take throughout the game;

Your personality actually matters because some choices will be locked depending if the spirit is selfish, altruistic, crazy...

The cases of crime will be missions that will have this model:

• Chase down the suspect:
    1. This will depend if is the police that is chasing the suspect or if it's the anomaly that is chasing the suspect;
    2. If are the cops that are chasing (s)he then the mission will jump to the next part. Otherwise, you will have to follow silently (s)he or else he will notice a presence and start freaking out and run from "nothing".
    • Question the suspect:
    1. The police will start to interrogate the supposed perpetrator. If (s)he shows resistance then you will try to possess (s)he, this will consist of a minigame that you'll have to press a sequence of buttons in a correct row or else it will fail.
    • Results:
    1. If the suspect is innocent, then he will go out of the police department, otherwise, he will go in trial (from here the criminal will have a random sentence from some years in the jail to death).

Lore
    I don't have a complete lore but here's what I have by now:

The anomaly was a person that nobody knew it's identity, and don't even know by today's days, every information that the police have about it is that it may or may not be from another universe and that it could be a way for them to go into that universe and learn more about it, the persons that live in there, it's society...

The ghost doesn't know is that the police it's using it for its own purpose, to know more about the supposed alternate universe, but what it thinks that it's doing is that it's helping the country to be a better place for people to live;

The actual truth about the spirit is that:

1. It actually came from another universe;
    2. It doesn't want anyone to be harmed as it was;
    3. When it was alive (s)he was killed by an unknown person;
    4. In her/him time living, (s)he wanted to work at a police station, and only agreed to work in the game's universe one because (s)he wanted to feel what it's like to be a cop;
    5. And it's only memory from it's living time is that (s)he wanted to work in the police station from the other universe, but couldn't for a reason...

So... any thoughts, suggestions or criticism?

13. Yougotsomechocolate

Yougotsomechocolate Random Chest Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It sounds interesting, and maybe you could have some backstory to the suspects to make them have personality.
    Just make sure to keep the gameplay fun and not repetitious. Maybe in missions you can have a lore journal to keep track of what you have done, and what your main objective is.

KST_ likes this.
  14. KST_

KST_ Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks!

About the backstory of suspects:

I plan on making backstories in the main missions (or lore missions) and make each one of the criminals reveal some of their backstories, in the chase scene (like anime revelations lol), like making a psychopath killer that killed someone that bullied him/her saying things like "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I PASSED TROUGH!" while running (only an example, don't judge it lmao).

About keeping the gameplay fun and not repetitious:

I think I want to do 5~10 main missions, every single one with different suspects, crimes, stories, backstories, etc, so I really hope that each one of the main crimes will be unique and different from each other.

About the journal:

I did want to try to make like every time you save, it appears more things in your journal, but I thought it was going to be hard work for only the start of a small idea, so instead by now what I'll try to do a journal that changes for every mission you made/ is on right now, with the main objective highlighted so the player doesn't lose track of what is going on in the game right now

Yougotsomechocolate likes this.
  15. Yougotsomechocolate

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Also, just a question, What side content would you be planning in between missions? I was just curious if you go straight to the next quest/chapter/ whatever.

KST_ likes this.
  16. KST_

KST_ Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like to make the player be able to explore the police station and develop friendship with persons in there, it may look pointless, but it would grant you buffs because a friend of yours in the police station would "teach" things to the player, like if you're a friend of X person then you'll get easier minigames while trying to possess someone, but if you're friend of the Y person then you'll be able to lie better when you possess someone in the questioning process, etc

And in the police station, you would be able to go for side quests, but they would be like tutorials for new mechanics because they wouldn't have any impact on the main story

I forgot to mention this:

Each main mission would reveal something about the entity's past, something like flashbacks in certain parts of the mission, and by the last mission you would have almost the full lore of the spirit

17. Yougotsomechocolate

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like an interesting game, I am assuming this is a puzzle/Mystery game?

KST_ likes this.
  18. KST_

KST_ Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you again! I think this game is more like an Adventure/Mystery RPG Maker, considering that the main question in the entire game should be something like "Who is the entity and why is it in the game's Universe?", I do think there has a bit of a puzzle here and there, but the Adventure genre suit more what the game is offering than Puzzle

Tbh I like to think of the chase part of the mission as something like Ao Oni but you are the Ao Oni lol

19. Yougotsomechocolate

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You mean like the old click and point games, correct?

20. KST_

KST_ Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess you meant 'point and click', if so, kind of, I think like something like the Ace Attorney series, but instead of judging someone and find clues to defend the suspect, you would try to make that person get caught and get a sentence, or not, you could just analyze if what he/she did was reasonable, and spare him/her, the choice is up to you