Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Yougotsomechocolate

Yougotsomechocolate Random Chest Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know the basis of AA, if you can make it work well, then I support the idea.
    "Click and point"... that's what i'm calling point and clicks now apparently

KST_ likes this.
  2. KST_

KST_ Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your support, I'll try my best!

LOL, sorry I laughed at 'click and point'

3. Yougotsomechocolate

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good luck on you project!
    CLICKING AND POINTING INTENSIFIES

KST_ likes this.
  4. Yougotsomechocolate

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have an idea of my own. It's about a guy taking care of his car in his tiny house.
    It's been more than 48hrs

5. Redeye

Redeye Chronicles Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've had this weird idea cooking in my head for a while now. So far it's more of a worldbuilding idea than a full-on game idea, but I do want to translate this concept into a game someday.

In this fantasy world, the Constellations have a much more magical presence than they do on Earth. The Zodiac you are born under determines your magical abilities, and more subtly, your purpose in the world. There are 16 zodiacs, each associated with one of the 16 months of the year.

Ignis, zodiac of fire and heat. Those born under Ignis are unburnt by fire and are capable of living in scorching hot climates. Skilled pyromages are capable of conjuring flames, superheating objects, and controlling lava and ash. Every 50 years, a special Ignis capable of producing blue flames is born, known as the Al Qadir.

Aqua, zodiac of water and liquids. Those born under Aqua are excellent swimmers and can breathe and speak underwater. Skilled hydromages are capable of controlling the flow of water and other liquids, using water to heal wounds and purge conditions, and even walking on water. Aquas are also capable of performing Blood magic, but it is regarded as taboo.

Pruina, zodiac of solidification and the cold. Those born under Pruina are impervious to the cold, allowing them to live in arctic climates. Skilled cryomages are capable of freezing and solidifying objects to near unbreakability and conjuring ice in order to create physical constructs and tools. Only a small handful of sorcerers are capable of reaching Absolute Zero temperatures. (Alternative Names: Gelum, Nix, or Frigus)

Ventus, zodiac of air and the atmosphere. Those born under Ventus can jump high and survive a fall from any distance. Skilled aeromages are capable of conjuring howling tempests, cutting flesh with wind, controlling the weather and the atmosphere, and are even capable of flight. (Alternative Names: Aer)

Fulgur, zodiac of lightning and energy. Those born under Fulgur become superpowered in the presence of electricity. Skilled electromages are capable of blasting foes with lightning, energizing comrades, and manipulating metal objects via the power of electromagnetism. Fulgurs make for exceptional engineers. In fact, they invented the first automaton. (Alternative Names: Tonitrus)

Terra, zodiac of gravity and the earth. Those born under Terra are unwavering and innately strong. Skilled geomages are capable of chucking boulders, metal objects, and waves of erosive sand at their foes, forming stone structures, and briefly altering the force of gravity. The Terras worked together with the Ventus and Fulgurs to create the first airships and machines.

Sonus, zodiac of sound and enchantments. Those born under Sonus have an innate appreciation for music. Skilled phonomages are capable of producing enchanting melodies and hexing serenades, controlling the elements with the power of music, and blasting sonic bursts at their enemies. In short, Sonus make for excellent bards.

Mentis, zodiac of kinetics and the mind. Those born under Mentis are very persuasive, charismatic, and influential. Skilled psychomages are capable of manipulating a person's emotions and thoughts, reading minds, creating illusions, and moving objects through telekinesis.

Manus, zodiac of strength and raw power. Those born under Manus have no magical prowess, but are instead gifted with superhuman strength and instincts. Manus are hard to kill, making them some of the best warriors in the land.

Lumen, zodiac of light and virtues. Those born under Lumen are treated as superiors, especially after forming one of the mightiest empires in the land. Although, their hubris is highly toxic. Skilled holomages are capable of smiting their foes with divine energy and healing the wounded and blessing their comrades with prayers.

Umbra, zodiac of shadows and vices. Those born under Umbra are regarded as scum, often being stigmatized as thieves and killers. Skilled nyctomages are capable of enshrouding themselves in shadow, turning shadows into physical beings, and cursing their enemies with the greatly feared Sin magic, based off the seven deadly sins of man.

Vita, zodiac of life and nature. Those born under Vita have an innate connection to nature and the wilds. Skilled biomages are capable of manipulating flora, communing with fauna, transforming into monsters and wild creatures, and repairing wounds and corruption through the power of regeneration.

Mors, zodiac of death and decay. Those born under Mors are feared by many due to their destructive nature. Skilled necromages are capable of corroding flesh and plantlife, raising undead, consuming souls, and inflicting curses on their enemies. Mors are pariahs, just like Umbra, often regarded as naturally evil by the public.

Tempus, zodiac of time and speed. Those born under Tempus are unnaturally fast and agile. Their power over the flow of time is awesome, but only a handful of powerful mages are capable of utilizing time magic. Skilled chronomages are capable of manipulating a person or object's velocity and momentum, briefly manipulating the flow of time, and creating paradoxes.

Fortuna, zodiac of chaos and luck. Those born under Fortuna are either a four-leaf clover or a broken mirror. They constantly radiate chaotic energy wherever they go, bringing good or bad luck with them. Skilled xaomancers are capable of casting magic from any zodiac school, albeit randomly. They are also capable of causing completely random things to happen out of the blue, and have the power to mimic the spells and abilities of their foes. (Alt Names: Chaos, Fors)

Aether, zodiac of divination and portals. Those born under Aether tend to be mysterious and studious, and have a strange connection to the cosmos. Skilled astromancers are capable of summoning monsters, creating portals, predicting the immediate future, and controlling the power of the void. Some of the most powerful sorcerers in the world are Aethers for a reason, although it is very, very difficult to master these powers.

I'm not entirely sure how I would go about transforming this idea into a full-fledged game. The only guideline would be that I would want to make one party member for each zodiac, so that would result in a 16-man party, potentially. There would also be the issue of creating a story with this idea. Thoughts? Ideas?

6. MarcosMtParnasse

MarcosMtParnasse Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    This is my first time using RPG Maker 2k3 and I've decided to create a little and short game just to train. The idea is quite simple:
    One character, one room. She has depression and the purpose of the game is making her leave her room in order to start the day. That's it.
    So I have to play with how she interacts with the objects around her room in order to create a story that speaks of her and for the player to know her. I have the intro and some ideas but the thing is that I don't know how to create a script or something for me to organise the plot...

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Redeye It sounds like an interesting idea. 16 characters is not a lot if you’re doing a mid to long game. I think you can start by making up characters for each zodiac, find out what everybody wants, and then drawing a potential relationships chart. Who’s friends with who, which pairs are couples, and the most interesting...who could be the villain?

See, I think it might be more interesting if they don’t all have to be in your party. Each zodiac character has their goal, and the protagonist’s goal might directly be in conflict with the antagonist’s.

Another thing I would do is to break stereotypes. It would be easy to make the antagonist a Mors or Umbra...but that is kinda yawnish expected. What if your hero is an Umbra? But she really wants to do good despite the “racial” prejudice she faces? And your Lumen turns out to be the power hungry antagonist?

8. PeanutButterToast

PeanutButterToast Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a western themed game I'm thinking about, but i can't decide if i want character customization or not. For historical accuracy of a Pre-Civil War "run and gun" game (with RPG elements) taking place in the deep South, I doubt I can add much in the way of gender and race options. But I'd still like for players to customize hairstyles, faces, clothing, weapons and eye color. Would players find that even worthwhile though? They'd still be stuck with one gender and very few races.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  9. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @PeanutButterToast I personally think deep customization is only worthwhile if you are doing a longer, open world game where being “me” is more important. If your game is more story driven you are better off with preset characters. It will allow you more time to work on other aspects of your game.

So my turn to ask. Been looking at some old Darksun materials, and have this interest in doing something like that. Would anyone here be interested in a game in a Darksun like world?

For those of you who don’t know what that is, imagine this world that is 98% deserts and wastelands. The gods are dead, and chaos rules most of the land covered by overpowered monsters. Even better, the few remaining livable cities are all ruled by near invincible, sadistic dictators with demi-god like abilities. So unless you’re part of team evil, you’re either a slave or little better than one. Magic exists, but again, unless you’re team evil, you’ll be hunted down and burned like heretics if you practice it. Fun place to be overall.

10. Benevolentwanderer

Benevolentwanderer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @watermark ooch, sounds a bit brutal... tbh I can't imagine playing a tabletop in that setting, I would be miserable. A digital RPG though? Could be fun.

Right now I'm working on a game where the MC is constantly taking damage from a status effect that can't be healed - based on a specific character of mine, although you can abstract the mechanic - because he's a mage who's so Powerful that the combined effect of his stored mana is microwaving him. (The status has a corresponding mana regen tied to it, so mana is never an issue.)

It started as a dumb "what if I..." idea, and then I implemented it and tested it and it turns out to add a nice sense of tactics to battles. You can cast whatever you want, but since the only healing spell you have takes TP, you need to be engaging in combat or picking up healing items or it's game over.

11. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So reworked a bit my battle UI to include a timeline where you can follow the ATB progression of every battlers.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if I should put all actor icons on the same height and all the enemy icons on the same height. It might be more aesthetically pleasing, but the overlap might be problematic. I personally think it looks fine with some vertical space between them. Thoughts?

atoms and Finnuval like this.
  12. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 i think you're fine .only thing i might personally add is a thin red Line going from the portrait to a small node on the timeline to make it more easy to see at a glance but thats probably Just me :D

Something else though : the green squares... Maybe have Them a bit more transparant for aesthetics?

atoms and MushroomCake28 like this.
  13. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval That might a very nice idea! Although I'm not sure about a line, perhaps something more stylish like an arrow or something. Hmm, it still needs to be thin to not be confusing when there's overlap.

atoms and Finnuval like this.
  14. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 which is why i suggest a Line lol you could go more fancy but at the Risk of making it less clear ;)

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  15. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval True, you're right lol. Besides, I'm not much of an artist, so sticking to a line might be simpler. I'll maybe make the line a different color depending on the battler.

Finnuval likes this.
  16. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 Just a real quick mock-up for visual reference
    57mPEtz.png
    It clarifies it a lot I think and you don't have to go all fancy, imo.
    I wouldn't use to much color difference though as that would possibly obscure it once again. Perhaps only differentiate between partymember and enemy?

atoms and MushroomCake28 like this.
  17. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval Again, I think you're right lol. I suppose I'm no match for the artistic sense of an artist lol. I love your mock up, I think I might do something similar!

Finnuval likes this.
  18. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 haha I don't have any sense, artistic or otherwise :p Besides don't sell yourself short my friend you compose beautiful music and that is art too and the same rules there apply to visual art (though 'seeing' it the same way might take some training ;) )

Besides this isn't art, this is just being player-friendly with the visuals :D

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  19. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've had an idea for a mechanic for my game for a couple of days but I'm not sure if it would be better suited to a new game rather than my current project.
    My idea is that if over feeding a creature it enters a (probably temporary unless the user keeps it up) state of chubby and the character image would change to reflect that and the state would be a buff to defence and debuff to agility.
    Maybe other states as well.

My current project is a little like pokemon, but not really, you don't catch monsters you make them by either splicing/cloning what you already have or using components from enemy drops. Anyways I really want them to feel alive so I've been toying with the SRDs CCEX and Dynamic Actors to add accessories to them and things but the idea I have is to utilize states so that if they have a certain state their character will adapt with them, however Dynamic actors doesn't cover states :c so I don't know if I should save it for another project that has less customizable creatures (probably a virtual pet game) or figure out a way of making Dynamic Actors work with states... oooor make my monsters less customisable (they're so cute though)

20. bakpauangus

bakpauangus Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hello, i just made a game about crossing streets on rmmv
    the goal is.....well......to cross the street
    why? Well, i just thought it might be a fun simple game
    i'm a one man developer, adding anything further than this might kill me
    but i would love to hear your opinion about this
    upload_2019-4-4_0-9-39.png

if you want to try here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12yi_7M8TQeLFk-Ku9ROZ2DPSskpmMsg4