Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bakpauangus Perhaps a little more detail would be helpful - a lot of people are reluctant to download a project just to find out what the poster is referring to.
    Presumably the character doesn't just cross the street, which would take all of 3 seconds max. So what else is going on? There isn't really anything atm to give feedback on.

2. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A young woman seeking revenge & new to magic is thrust into a life and death struggle to survive in the harsh underground world of magic where everyone is a potential life-threatening enemy, a single slip of the tongue can lose you everything, and nothing is as it seems.

or

A hardened veteran witch takes local jobs to hunt down supernatural predators and specializes in taking down mages despite her limited mana. Using intelligence, painstaking preparation, and old fashioned violence she strikes fear into her enemies but is there more to this "witch of vengeance" than meets the eye?

I'm kind of into the idea of a witch in an urban fantasy setting but I can't quite decide which story I'd like to pursue next. What do you think? Does one sound more interesting than the other? Do they both sound boring/done too much?

3. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly they both sound pretty much the same : woman wants vengeane at Risk of losing everyting at high Risk. Its fine but i feel like in choosig between a red or green Apple... Doesnt really matter too much in the end. (Sorry)

As which of the two characters I like more (since this seems to be the largest difference) I think either one has their own appeal but I've always had a weak-spot for the rugged&rough type :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Traveling Bard likes this.
  4. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Traveling Bard Since General Discussion isn't meant for project-specific threads, I've merged your thread with this one.

5. chaucer

chaucer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok so I've been sitting on this idea for a while, but I would love to hear what others think on this topic.

I've had this idea to merge the gameplay mechanics of megaman battle network( I'll explain it below for those unfamiliar ), with the likes of a bullet hell game!

So in short, in megaman battle network, the battle system is grid based, the grid you move on is 6x3( 6 tiles wide, and 3 tiles hight ), the player can only move on the tiles on the left side of the screen, and the enemies can only move on the tiles on the right of the screen. The player can move freely on the grid to avoid enemy attacks, and the enemies can move as well( depending on their ai ).

There is no command menu in the game, you just press a button to shoot, and you can open a menu after a gauge fills up( it slowly fills over time ). In the menu you can select chips/skills that the player will be able to use, once used, the chip will be reshuffled into the deck. The player can setup his deck only outside of battle, and chips will show up at random in the chip selection menu when in battles.

Hopefully that explains it, if I confused you sorry T__T just google megaman battle network, I suck at explaining things!

So I have a prototype I put together, and I'm curious to see what people think of it, in the video below, you can see I opted for no grid at all, this allows the player complete control over movement. I also added a "roll" ability, so that the player can dodge enemy attacks that he normally would be too slow for.

I didn't implement it here, but I also want to add in a "duck" ability, so that the player can duck and hide behind obstacles that may appear in battles.

In short though, I think the video sums up what I'm aiming for exactly. In the blue panel on the screen is where the player is, and in the red panel, is where enemies will be. Keep in mind this is a rough prototype, so it's not very pretty. I don't have any fancy artwork or anything, but I hope the video gets the idea across.

If there's interest for this I'd love hear some feedback!~

6. pandadodod

pandadodod Wannabe of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi guys, I am prototyping for a kingdom building "kinda" rpg. There is a secondary currency called "Kingdom Core Points" to be used for Kingdom Castle Repairs and Creation of stuff that may help the populace. I kind of have the idea on what I will include on the castle repair list. However, on the kingdom stuff, I have a little bit of difficulty coming up with ideas..What I have come up with are the following;
    Basic Village Creation
    Water Source Creation
    Basic Village Extension
    So guys, what do you think are other stuff that can be helpful for the populace for their living?(Hopefully something that I can turn into a place that can be mapped e.g Water source creation= a huge fountain that villagers can get their Water)
    Thanks everyone!

7. AxelNinjaGamer

AxelNinjaGamer Random Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Farm land
    Training camp (a kingdom needs guards)
    Blacksmith
    Mineshaft
    Tavern
    Inn
    Outpost
    This kinda sounds like a tycoon game or clash of clans where you unlock new buildings and upgrades as time goes on. Just go with general village stuff.

pandadodod likes this.
  8. pandadodod

pandadodod Wannabe of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ooh...thank you very much Axel!!

9. Cryranos

Cryranos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've got an idea for a game set in a (very early) medieval fantasy world; the (non-magical) technology level is circa 6th century AD Europe. The thing is: most medieval fantasy takes place in what would be equivalent to 13th- or 14th- century (or even renaissance) Europe, and Europe was possibly the most socially and technologically backwards part of the old world at the time, especially compared to Umayyad Spain, Persia, China, and India. The next major innovation made in Europe was the three-field crop rotation, and it wouldn't even be invented until at least the 10th century!

Does anyone have ideas for how to make a setting more "Dark Ages"? Will it even matter, since Charlemagne's coronation in 799 was temporally closer to the founding of Rome than to the present day and nobody will know the difference if I misrepresent such a hazy time in history?

10. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Need ideas for more barbarian skills. So far I have 10. Trying to avoid having more than one skill that does essentially the same thing, but it just feels like there's only so much you can do when you're basically just brawling melee fighter, lol.

Savage Blow: +50% dmg
    Leap Strike: attack faster and increase your agi for 2 turns
    Reckless Assault: attack and increase your target rate for 2 turns
    Frenzy: Attack 3 random foes"large" enemies)
    Bash: attack and stun for 1 turn. 3 turn cooldown (doesnt work on exceptionally large or fast enemies)
    Berserk: increase atk and agi by 25%, reduce def by 25%. lasts for 5 turns
    Whirlwind: attack all enemies. 3 turn cooldown.
    Ignore Pain: Take 25% reduced damage for 5 turns
    Survival Instinct: you completely dodge any attacks for 1 turn. can only be used once per battle.
    Feats of Strength: attack for double damage +50. can only be used once per battle.

atoms likes this.
  11. Soryuju

Soryuju Combat Balance Enthusiast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So from what I see here, your Barbarian's skills fall into 3 major categories (with a bit of overlap): damage, stat buffs, and tanking. For the sake of organization, here's how I'd personally divide them amongst those categories:

Damage:
    Savage Blow: +50% dmg
    Frenzy: Attack 3 random foes"large" enemies)
    Whirlwind: attack all enemies. 3 turn cooldown.
    Feats of Strength: attack for double damage +50. can only be used once per battle.

Stat Buffs:
    Leap Strike: attack faster and increase your agi for 2 turns
    Berserk: increase atk and agi by 25%, reduce def by 25%. lasts for 5 turns

Tanking:
    Reckless Assault: attack and increase your target rate for 2 turns
    Ignore Pain: Take 25% reduced damage for 5 turns
    Bash: attack and stun for 1 turn. 3 turn cooldown (doesnt work on exceptionally large or fast enemies)
    Survival Instinct: you completely dodge any attacks for 1 turn. can only be used once per battle.

So looking at this, you've already got 4 damage and 4 tanking skills, meaning that you're more likely to run into redundancy if you focus on those categories when brainstorming ideas. Your stat buffs are a little underdeveloped, though, so that could be a good place to start. Some ideas:

- War Cry type skills which give buffs to allies are a possibility. Not sure if you really envision your Barbarian as a supportive type at all, but having some party-wide utility is generally a good thing when it comes to making sure characters are useful outside of their specific niche.

- Your Berserk skill features high power for a tradeoff, and you could play into this theme with more of your Barbarian's skills. You could augment its tanking and offensive roles simultaneously by designing a self-buff which raises your ATK each time you take damage. That would also open up the potential for self-harm skills that deal strong damage or give powerful bonuses.

- You can use a similar concept if you have lots of status ailments in your game. Skills which make your Barbarian stronger as it accumulates status ailments (or which can consume ailments on you for bonus effects), skills which can self-inflict ailments in exchange for above-average output, and perhaps even skills which draw ailments from allies to fuel the Barbarian's status-related skills (while providing some party support).

- If you have a class which uses its HP as a resource for skills and tanking, this naturally leads to the idea of skills which give passive HP Regeneration or which can directly provide self-healing, perhaps as a side effect of some other skill or a conditional effect that can trigger under certain circumstances. Abilities which temporarily raise your maximum HP are also a possibility.

- Lastly, you could also probably fit a couple of debuff skills into your Barbarian's kit to go along with Bash. Defense debuffs in particular could be easy inclusions for the theme and would add a little more nuance to its offense.

To me, the Barbarian archetype means a character who takes big risks to get big results. You're right that they probably shouldn't have super intricate mechanics, but there's still some room to play with that type of risk-reward model. Hope these suggestions help!

atoms and jonthefox like this.
  12. Marsigne

Marsigne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Should I make more cinematic scenes? ;)

13. ufomonster

ufomonster THAT kid Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    hey all! the ideas here are all super cool! hope y'all don't mind if i [hits the whip] join in

my idea is for a battle system based on social interactions, with the elements of the attacks (fire, water, ice, etc) being replaced with the type of interaction you're performing (i.e. "friendly" attacks would be high five, kind words, compliment, "mean" attacks would be shove, insult, passive aggression, etc etc etc) with each enemy having a weakness based on their personality! it'd still use the traditional rpg battle format, but replace "fighting" with "talking it out" :kaoblush:what do you guys think? would you play a game like that?

this next part might be a little confusing but i'm throwing it in anyway: i thought i'd make it so that levelling up would only increase stats by a little bit each time, with the biggest stat increases going to the characters "main" personality trait (ATK for very social chars, DEF for more withdrawn ones, etc) and bigger stat changes that happen instead in cutscenes, special events, that sort of thing! meaning if there's a cutscene where you have the opportunity to help an old lady cross the road or something, "yes" gets you better stats relating to being social while "no" gets you better stats relating to being cautious and withdrawn. does that make sense? would that be possible without scripts?

tl:dr in a modern setting where violence is illegal, your party instead has to fight with their words! :kaojoy: what do ny'all think?

edit: apologies if this is better for the game mechanics design board, i wasn't sure so i went with this one :kaoswt2:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  14. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Decided to do some worldbuilding work and I want to put together a pantheon of gods. I haven't decided if they actually exist in my game universe (leaning towards yes), but they're worshipped as the predominant religion of the land. Different parts of the world and different factions may favor one particular god. Here's what I've come up with so far. Would love feedback on the names, concepts, and if you feel like I've left out any important domains that would need a god.

Vallos: the god of strength, bravery, and war
    Erodina: the goddess of love and beauty
    Sagamir: the god of adventure and exploration
    Merxes: the god of death
    Zeno: the god of knowledge and wisdom
    Jezabri: the god of entertainment and pleasure
    Genevieve: the goddess of birth and healing
    Kaspatore: the god of ambition and self-interest
    Dremythyr: the god of dreams, illusions, and mystery

15. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ufomonster This is a better spot than the Mechanics Design section, since that section isn't for talking about single games.

Your idea would work fine, in fact there have been a few games that have 'word battles' instead of normal combat (Last Word is one I know of, so you may want to look into that game for inspiration). The most important thing I think is that the enemy needs to really respond to the different 'attacks', otherwise choosing what 'attack' to use will be no different than just spamming the best magic spell in a normal rpg.

16. ufomonster

ufomonster THAT kid Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @hiddenone oh sweet!!! ok, glad i didn't goof up there :kaophew:

that's a good point!!! my thought was that i'd have certain attacks become available only after using others to mimic a real conversation (i.e. using "insult" would lead you to attack options like "apologize" or "mock reaction," stuff like that), but i think that's a little too advanced for me at this point in terms of actually developing it :kaocry: it's definitely going on the to do list though!

also, WOW THAT GAME LOOKS AMAZING!!!!! :kaojoy: thank you so much for the recommendation! i'm absolutely going to look into it!

17. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey all

I'm having an issue finding a name for this character
    IMG_1092.PNG

They don't recall their true name, and so a name is given to them by another character until they discover their true name later on.

The problem is I can't seem to come up with anything interesting for either name.

What names pop into your mind when you see her?

atoms and Marsigne like this.
  18. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NeoFantasy General Discussion isn't for project-specific questions, so I'm merging this with the Ideas that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread instead.

19. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Alright, sorry for the mix hiddenone.

Marsigne likes this.
  20. Marsigne

Marsigne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NeoFantasy No specific names, but she looks very Yandere-ish. ;)