Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Marsigne Kind of. She isn't psychopathic like your typical yandere... but she is someone who can end up relying upon and becoming too attached to somebody.

Marsigne likes this.
  2. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Do you need any origin specifics that need to be met? Sarah, Samantha... my life is kinda surrounded with such people. ;)

NeoFantasy likes this.
  3. NeoFantasy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I’m pretty open to all names really.

Marsigne likes this.
  4. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NeoFantasy looks like a Angela or Emma to me at first glance

NeoFantasy likes this.
  5. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Marie, Michelle, some Japanese name that I don't know... :ninja:

NeoFantasy likes this.
  6. NeoFantasy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hmm~ Emma is nice

I think another character is going to be Japanese, so I won’t really go that direction.

A friend said Reagan and I kind of liked that, but I still need to find her new name.

Marsigne likes this.
  7. JugoTHEBot

JugoTHEBot ME EAT YOU WHOLE Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So i was thinking about making First person dungeon crawler (using FPLE)

The story would be about how two characters (the protagonist and his/her friend) are living underground (by underground i mean an entire country built below the surface) in a post-apocalyptic world in which everything was covered in ice.

One day while on their trip to the outside they encounter a creature underneath the ice, which comes out of it and immediately attacks them.

Managing to kill it the characters are then interrogated by an organization specialized in keeping said creatures a secret to the rest of the world.
    The organization is baffled at how the duo managed to kill one of the more dangerous types then asks them to join help them in dealing with them, without much choice they accept so now their job is to kill the creatures while in the dark so that they don't end up spreading, causing a massive panic.
    Basically The Day after Tomorrow mixed with Men in Black, while i'm at it i've been using HiddenOne's generator parts and i'm currently using these designs for the characters.

[​IMG]Male Protagonist [​IMG]Female Protagonist [​IMG] Protagonist's friend

I've been trying to learn how to draw, mostly for the enemy design since i want them to be unique

About the gameplay though
    I was thinking, since i'm using FPLE and it's not exactly a horror game, you could move between two different perspectives, a bird's eye view in which you explore cities and talk to NPCs, and the First Person view in which you explore dungeons created by the creatures and fight enemies in there. In order to use "Magic" the organization built in a gadget which simulates the skills used by the creatures, however to do that you must first analyze the enemy before killing it, if doing so you'll be presented with the option to learn one of their skills. Current skill types include Physical attacks, Ice, Wind, Psychic, Magnetic, Holy and Hex spells

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    atoms likes this.
  8. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sum to 15
    To help with character balancing i thought using a sum to 15 rule would work.
    My formula for Params is level * num + 10 (HP is + 90, and MP is + 45). Here's an example of my adepts class based params.
    Code:
    <Custom Class Parameters>
    maxhp = level * 10 + 90;
    maxmp = level * 5 + 45;
    atk = level * 3 + 10;
    def = level * 2 + 10;
    mat = level * 1 + 10;
    mdf = level * 3 + 10;
    agi = level * 4 + 10;
    luk = level * 2 + 10;
    exp = level * 100;
    </Custom Class Parameters>

9. ave36

ave36 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think you miss the more dastardly gods. Compare for example the pantheon from my game, Legend of Terra Firma, which is split between the light half and the dark half.

The gods of light:

Murios: the god of sky, the supreme god;
    Vulcanidus: the god of stone and metal, the craftsman of the gods;
    Deling: the god of valor and victory, the good warrior deity;
    Earide: the goddess of nature and fertility;
    Tanara: the goddess of memory and knowledge, the patron of loremasters and scribes;
    Arinie: the goddess of healing and white magic.

The gods of darkness:

Demogorgon: the father of evil, god of greed and ambition, the supreme evil god;
    Abaddon: the god of carnage and destruction, the evil warrior deity;
    Org: the god of monsters, the father of Orcs;
    Artamesh: the goddess of forbidden knowledge and dark magic;
    Kraken: the goddess of the deep seas and sea monsters;
    Dementos: the god of madness and mindlessness, patron of the insane and the drug-addled;
    Liche: the lord of Sheol and god of death.
    The Destroyer: the prophecied final dark god who will be the son of Abaddon, be born as a human being and kill all gods of Light - this guy, human name Reaves Gerrard, is the actual big bad of Legend of Terra Firma

Neutral deity:

Erniach: the Cosmic Law, a cold, uncaring overdeity that acts as the referee in wars between light and mirk.

Each of the gods except Erniach may have demigod children. For example, Artamesh has three daughters, the demigoddesses Morgana, Circe and Jezebel, collectively known as the Hexen Sisters. They are recurring bosses in service of Reaves.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. Ravos9988

Ravos9988 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, I'm sitting here looking through Yanfly's Impressive plugin list, but something I'm not seeing on his wiki or after searching the forum is a plugin or feature that would allow you to carry over your "Game Complete" save from one game to another game. For example, say I beat game xxxx 1, and I receive a "game complete" type status on that save file. Now I want to carry over all of my stats, equipment, etc into xxxx 2, instead of starting from scratch and lvl 1.

I hope that makes sense. Kind of similar to the New Game+ plugin I guess.

I'm asking because I while I am still new to this, I have a story outline in mind that I would like to spread over 2+ games, where game one lvl cap is like 50, game two lvl cap is 100, game three lvl cap is 300. I feel like making a dedicated player/customer start from the ground up on a sequel to a game they JUST completed is a bit cruel, so why not reward them a little.

But, it's just an idea. Let me know what ya'll think, or if I somehow passed over an existing feature/plugin! :kaopride:

11. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Ravos9988 This isn't the forum to request an (existing) plugin. If you want to know how to implement your idea, this post needs to be moved.
    If on the other hand, you just want feedback on the idea of using level caps and importing stats from previous entries, then the post is fine where it is.

12. Ravos9988

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @slimmmeiske2 I was just looking for feedback really, like is it doable, realistic, fair to the consumer, etc.

BUT, if I was looking on how to implement this idea in the future, where might one go to find such information?

13. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Game ideas from me that I should at least write them down somewhere XD
    Underwater RPG: (don't see many of them) need to develop ideas further as I don't have a full story yet but I do want it to be influenced by greek mythology and have a hippy message about plastics, two main characters Twins descendants of Poseidon one wields the trident for solving puzzles/combat and the other has a giant pearl for receiving visions and magic.
    Mylantier: my bf's DnD world since I'm having a blast in his campaign and there's a lot of story and home brew I was thinking maybe an RPG based on the lore and creation myths of his world (he also wants this)
    Project ALF: this was the project I started to learn things on, its sorta like pokemon but in space, you have a robot buddy follower that doesn't appear in combat but you can talk to him for information about the planet you're on and he can hold your ALF (spliced/clones of Alien LifeForms) I did get quite far on it so far but some of the ideas I'm not quite sure how to implement just yet (a pet care system) and not thought too much on the actual story.
    and lastly
    Fylgja: Just basic ideas at the moment, Fae creatures that are guardians of representatives of a human's creativity endangered by personifications of entities like depression and nightmares

Out of these ideas I think Mylantier is the only one I'm currently able to make into a full game at the moment as it is standard RPG rules and I would have a lot of help with the story but I don't know how interested people would be in it but it might be a super fun thing to get done as we just got engaged and if I got my but into gear I could give our wedding guests a demo LOL

14. Sajai-D-Halo

Sajai-D-Halo Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, everyone! I'm super new to these forums so I'm going to hope I'm using this thread right.
    - My specific singular idea: I want to implement a monster-honor system within my dungeon crawler.

Each monster will have their own Alpha that comes to the players aid when called during combat. However, the chance that the Alpha will honor the call is based on how often the player has allowed members of that monster's group to flee. (Example-- Player lets 5 Slimes flee=Alpha Slime has a 25% chance to help in combat when called.)

- When an Alpha honors the call, I want the player-character to be swapped out with the Alpha, making them the focus. The player will use them in combat for a set amount of turns (they will have their own attacks and etc.) The player can hop back in whenever they want until those turns are up. If the Alpha dies, they are gone for good and can't be called again. This adds risk, making it the player's responsibility to be mindful of what's going on during the fight.

*My questions are the following-
    1. Does this idea sound interesting?
    2. With me being a beginner, does RPG Maker MV have tools that I could utilize to pull this off? (I don't want my Alphas to be AI influenced party members. I just want them to show up to help the player out in combat, and they will be switched in and controlled by the player for a certain amount of turns. This takes out any AI complications; I'm hoping this simplifies the process of me making this as well as the experience for those playing it.)
    3. Are there Plugins that I absolutely must have in order for this to work? (I want to avoid going too deep into plugins. I've been trying to stuff my head with RMMV tutorials for the last month now. I've learned some things but a common complaint that I've heard from veterans is that new people jump into plugins before they even understand the software. I'd rather not be one of those new people, lol.)

Sorry for the length; I hope I communicated my query clearly for everyone! ^_^

15. Ravos9988

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sajai-D-Halo
    So basically, a type of player swap/sub or totem type event with a touch of FireEmblem strategy (what characters, or totems in your case, work best with each enemy encounter, if you choose wrong, the totem could be outmatched, die, and never be recovered)?

As for #2, I'm fairly new to MV myself, but I think your best path might be looking into building a summoning type class/actor. As for acquiring each alpha (or totem or whatever you want to call them in the end), start them off as an event/quest NPC, and upon completion of dialogue/quest (using if statements to check if the actor/player has met predetermined requirements, stats or prelude event), the player receives an item that acts as a type consumable to learn a skill/spell. In regards to them being on the field for a certain number of turns, I'm pretty sure you can set a turn counter/timer, when the timer runs to 0, the spell resolves and item returns to player inventory. So, I am pretty sure you can do that much.

EDIT: also, look into Yanfly's plugins if you havent already. There is one for party swapping, so you MIGHT be able to make each alpha their own character and swap mid battle etc., along with the same ideas as above.
    http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Category:Yanfly_Engine_Plugins

Overall, its really not a bad concept, I'd play lol.

Sajai-D-Halo likes this.
  16. Sajai-D-Halo

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes! That's pretty spot on actually. ^_^

I'll be sure to check out those plug-ins and look into those ideas you suggested. I may come back to this thread with more questions in the future, but for now-- thanks a bunch!

17. Ravos9988

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sure, even PM in the future, we might be able to learn from eachother

Sajai-D-Halo likes this.
  18. Sajai-D-Halo

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ay, sounds dope.

19. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Suddenly have an urge to make a huge open world game like the Elder Scrolls. Except that it's in RM, and the fights will use the JRPG sideview battles. Then I thought about the time involved in actually making something like this. Hmm... yeah.

So would you want to play something like this?

alice_gristle likes this.
  20. Sajai-D-Halo

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If the story and soundtrack is good, I think I would. Combat having some flavor to it would be a plus also but for something like that, I feel like presentation would be the thing that would hook me the most. I like playing long games if they are nice to look at and fun to listen to. My favorite example of this is Dragon Quest 8 Journey of the Cursed King. Hope my input helps :thumbsup-left:

watermark likes this.