Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Archeia, Sep 24, 2017.

1. alice_gristle

alice_gristle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depends. I loved Morrowind but was indifferent toward Oblivion and Skyrim. Morrowind was nice because the world felt so weird and original. Oblivion and Skyrim? Not so much... So yes, I'd play it, if it felt fresh enough. If it's yet another medieval fantasy game, though, sign me out.

RitualTeeth likes this.
  2. tekiro

tekiro Villager Member

First Language:
    portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Could you guys give some ideias for druids
    hierarchy?:hswt:
    I would like it to be something like my mage hierarchy:
    Aspirant;
    Initiate;
    Disciple;
    Apprentice;
    Intermediate;
    Magister;
    Grand Magister;
    Archmage;
    Sage.

3. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  4. Choraß

Choraß Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey sure, i'll share my ideas to you, about the order of ranks, from my druids interpretation. :LZSgrin:
    I was imagine of a person who is non settled at a place and sought his way into the nature, to be alone in peace. That person found a
    ancient doctrine of Druids, that become enlightenment from a forest/nature god at the end.

The best way to make a rank order of a class is to devise a short story. From the way of experience and changes, with the certain class, where it begins and where it ends. :LZSjoy:

1. Nomad
    2. Pilgrim
    3. Wildcallist
    4. Druid
    5. Archdruid
    5. Nature Guardian
    6. Avatar

k_mckenzie likes this.
  5. k_mckenzie

k_mckenzie Fey.Earth Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll give it a go!

Free Thinker;
    Philosopher;
    Guru;
    Naturalist;
    Druid;
    Animal Keeper;
    Animal Master;
    Archdruid;
    Cathbadite.

tekiro and Choraß like this.
  6. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @tekiro General Discussion isn't meant for game-specific help, so I've merged your thread with Ideas that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread.

7. tekiro

tekiro Villager Member

First Language:
    portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Blank7 @k_mckenzie Awesome ideias, thanks! I unite some of yours ranks and make one for my game.

8. Elise727

Elise727 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was thinking about The One Map Game Challenge and going through the tools, and I got two ideas: Time travel and a narrative that pays tribute to the classic "Warriors of Light" arc while spinning it just a little i.e. to accommodate for RPG Maker's other four classic elements: Thunder, Ice, Dark, and Light/Holy.

9. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a small plot/idea I'd like to share but not work on it because I don't find it worth-

Plot:
    2 young men were in the rental plane. Upon their trip, they spotted a small island that has help sign by some rocks. They got curious about it, thinking whether they should check it out or not.
    They came to conclusion that if they find whoever made the help sign, they'll help them out. So, they decided to land on the island to look for that lost person.

It's kind of like the cliche parts where they'll discover that this island is haunted, etc.

Now here is the plot-twist: The one who made that sign was already rescued month ago.

atoms likes this.
  10. RhuneEmbah

RhuneEmbah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi all I couldn't quite find where I should post this so I decided here might be a good place. However I do apologise if this is in the wrong place. Anyhow let's get to what I'm here for.

So I have this Idea I really want to implement however I was wondering if this would be received well by players and just how I might implement it. So my idea is an enemy HP system that is split so that each appendage or body part has a hp level but when the whole body is tallied together gives the enemies total hp. I would then use this to be able to cripple and remove body parts which could also lead to some interesting new status ailments. So I hope that's understandable. My main goal is to get feedback on such a system and any help implementing such a system would be so helpful. Well thanks and I know the great community here will be able to give me some great feedback.

11. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @RhuneEmbah I've not sure if I fully understood, but...

#1 Are you saying all your enemies have "split parts" to them? What would happen if you knocked out to zero HP one of the parts?

#2 Or the enemy starts as a "whole-part" and you slowly separate it into different parts, or just try defeating it as it's "whole-part"? Is number '#2 what you mean?

They both sound interesting ideas to me, which I do like. It feels it would fit a boss battle type of game where you defeat different bosses one after another.

My only thought with a normal type of RPG game is that if all enemies have this, won't fight last quite a long length? If so you wouldn't want the player to constantly get into a battle after battle unless you have a solution to this possible problem.

Maybe, if you are going for that type of game, have some enemies and bosses like this but not all of them? There may be a solution where all your fights can still be like this, but you'd have to think of a way to not get the player frustrated by too many hard fights in one go. At least, that's the way I think about it.

12. RhuneEmbah

RhuneEmbah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey thanks for the feedback. I guess my system would be #1 where all my enemies have split parts I envision it like this:

lets take a soldier as our example.
    Your Character is at level 1
    The Soldier has total 500HP at level 1
    The Soldier has these parts:-
    Head- 50HP
    Body- 100HP
    Left arm- 75HP
    Right arm- 75HP
    Left hand- 25HP
    Right hand- 25HP
    Left leg- 75HP
    Right leg- 75HP
    in the soldiers right hand is his sword and in his left a shield
    when its your characters turn you will be given the Attack option when you select it you are then given two options;
    Basic - This will be a straight attack taking a percentage of the soldiers total HP for this example lets say your character does 30 damage now the soldier has 470HP however if you pick focus for your next attack you will see each part has been reduced by a small amount of HP
    Focus - This is where the body parts would come into effect. So lets say our soldier still has his 500HP.
    So when you pick this option you are then given the choice to attack a part. Your character attacks the soldiers right hand for 30 damage as the part only has 25HP the other 5 damage moves to the right arm which now has 70HP also as the soldier held his sword with his right hand he can no longer use it to attack and as such any attacks that would require the soldier to use his sword can no longer be used. The soldier can still use other parts of his body to attack his left hand for example still holds his shield so the soldier could attack with a shield bash. Other parts would have similar reactions when crippled for instance lets use a leg for example your character has hit the soldiers left leg 3 times for 30 damage a time the leg has 75HP but you have done 90 total so the body takes the remaining 15 giving the body 85HP but now the left leg is crippled causing the soldiers SPD to drop and removing attacks such as kick or any moves that require SPD to be removed from the soldiers attacks. Now lets say your character tries to attack the soldiers head. First the chance to attack the head is greatly lowered however you can train your character to increase this chance, but lets say the chance to attack the head is 1% so your character has a one in a hundred chance of a successful hit, but in this example we'll say your character hit the head on its first attack for 30 damage the head is now below 50% of its total health this is when crippling of the head occurs this will cause confusion, disorientation and as some blood would be flowing presumably blindness the soldier can still use all of his attacks however he is severely impaired and very few if any attacks will hit your character and he is likely to hurt himself with his attacks. Now lets say your characters second focus attack on the head hits for another 30 damage well the head has only 20HP left so you have emptied the heads health reserves and as in real life destroy the head your enemy dies.

Now I know thats a very long winded explanation but I thought it best to give as much info as possible so as to help understand the mechanics. Of course not all enemies will have the same parts for instance slimes what are slimes but a gelatinous creature they can produce body parts arms and such however if you remove one of these appendages another will just grow back in its place so in focus attack there would be only one part the mass of the slime so its total HP is say 100HP in focus attack the one part you would see would also say 100HP.
    Does that make sense? and again sorry for the long windedness.

atoms likes this.
  13. SlayerJoe31

SlayerJoe31 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Developing plot and resources:

The story for my game takes place in the British colonies of the Americas, where the revolution is raging, but others are just trying to live their lives the best they can. In the midst of the war between the so-called "Patriot" rebels and the soldiers of the British empire, there was another power at play; a rich and powerful criminal organization known as "Hell's Court", run by a mysterious man known only as "Lucifer". Hell's Court has ties to both sides in the war, and seek to exert their influence over both sides, regardless of which side ultimately does win the war. The main characters are a 19-year old postboy, Isaac, and his 15-year old sister, Ava, who get separated and are forced by Lucifer to gather intelligence for the British and the Patriots, respectively. Additionally, there are factions consisting of witches who have hidden away for over a century after events such as the Salem Witch trials, as well as a small group of Indians (as they were called back then), known as "Skinwalkers" who are able to take the forms of bears, wolves, and eagles, to name a few. Isaac works directly for Lucifer while Ava maintains contact via secret letters and works for a spy ring under General Washington. The spy ring, known as the Culper Ring, works directly under Washington to gather intelligence out of British-occupied New york.

As for the resources: I've looked for colonial soldiers, but I haven't been able to find any, so I'll probably have to pay someone to make them for me. I'm also trying to find some Indian (Native-American) hairstyles for those characters, specifically a female companion for Ava. If you guys know of any resources like that, please let me know.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  14. Iron16Bit

Iron16Bit Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi!
    Just a quick question... What do you think about this artwork for the main character?
    I'm not good at drawing and terrible at coloring, so I had to manually draw it and digitally color it.
    I already know it isn't too good, but I hope you'll find it decent.
    Thank you!

Protagonista_F.png

Marquise* and atoms like this.
  15. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes it sounds like a heavy strategy thinking type of game, which would work well as a boss fight game where you fight different bosses one after the other, perhaps walking from one map to the next for each fight, or a game where you can choose and select and roam freely on maps with on-screen boss encounters.

Generally, it might be exhausting for players if all fights are like this in your typical JRPG.

But, even though I just said that this does sound like you fight one single thing at a time, just that one thing will always have split parts.

So it would be like a regular battle with 3-4 troops, but instead, you have a single troop with split parts. When comparing it like that I can see this working.

I think it'll be something you have to try and see how it goes, perhaps create a demonstration demo and get some feedback on it, or if you are confident and just want to make this anyway, then you can work on it get a proper demo and see what type of feedback you get concerning battles.

As well as that, skills that have multiple hits and hits all enemies, skills like that will be more powerful in a type of game (unless you make them too low on the damage they deal, and I don't recommend making them useless), where all battles have split parts since you are always going to be fighting multiple parts of an enemy.

So it's good to keep that in mind when balancing the game. As well as that, if those skills are rarer or a strategy found by the player, they could create quite a bit of enjoyment as they become a powerful reward/rewards.

Those are my first thoughts. I hope something in them can help you in some way! : )

16. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Iron16Bit I like the concept and the coloring isn't half bad either. I would sugggest trying your hand at shading a bit more though to make it come more alive and too decide a style you are most comfortable with as it kinda seems to me like you weren't absolutly sure on what style to go for.

Other then that keep practising as it does show potential.

You might want to look at @Mystic_Enigma ''s battlers as I think their style is closest to yours and see if you can learn from those a bit.

atoms likes this.
  17. vmasdani

vmasdani Warper Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings to everyone! I am new to this forum so please mention if any of my behavior is not well-mannered!
    I just had an idea about a fantasy game which combines the elements of RPG and Dating Sim, and planned to make it with RPG Maker MV. Here's the quick synopsis:
    I plan to implement a trait-based system which is similar to Ace Academy visual novel if any of you have played it, something like being able to do the following things when a dialogue/event happens :
    1. Play music at an inn for cash if the Bard trait is selected at the beginning of the game,
    2. Seduce a guard to get a key item if the Black Widow trait is selected at the beginning of the game, or
    3. Smash open a door if the player has obtained the Fitness Guy trait or Lockpick a door if the Thief trait was obtained instead of Fitness Guy
    I also plan to add an affection point:kaoluv: system in which we can date one of the party members, provided that the affection point for a party member has reached a certain threshold! And maybe also unlock a few secret endings with that character with the highest affection point.
    I expect that JavaScript programming will be needed in the making of this game. I have some experience on JavaScript but I don't know where to start if I'm going to tinker with the game mechanics. I have read some of the threads on the forum and found out one of the method to create a game mechanic is to create a plugin. Which leads to my questions:
    1. Is it possible to create the features which I mentioned above?
    2. Is it possible to hold a custom game state in something like an object or variables which increments throughout the game according to the dialogue choices we make, like the affection point I mentioned?
    3. Do I need to create a plugin to implement the features I mentioned above?
    4. Is there a console which I can dump the game's variables into, for debugging purposes?
    Thank you very much! I'm really looking forward to make something cool with RPG Maker MV! :kaocry:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2019 at 2:49 AM
  18. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @vmasdani Just want to note, I edited out the blue you used (and changed it to purple) as blue (and red) are colours moderators and staff use for warnings.

19. vmasdani

vmasdani Warper Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, thank you! Must've missed that point in the guidelines..