Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why does this thread have the Rules tag? It's not a rules thread, it'a a discussion thread.

LightDiviner

That Guy With Lots of Ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Thanks to multiple Yanfly plugins, I have made a system of advancement for weapons in my game that I have called, "The Power Core System." I'm sure something similar has already been done but I wouldn't know about it, so I still kinda came up with it on my own. XD Anyway, let's get into the nitty gritty.

First, let's talk about the basics. To start with it, you're gonna have to defeat enemies. Every enemy in my game is gonna have an element associated with it. Even ones that don't, which will be considered "Neutral" elemental. All monsters drop a resources associated with their element, and in 3 different kinds. Shards, the most common, usually dropped by common and weak monsters, Gems, a rarer kind, dropped by uncommon and stronger monsters, and Crystals, the rarest kind, dropped by the strongest and rarest monsters. There's also Attack and Defense ones, which will be buyable and stores. After you've gained enough, you move on to crafting with them.

You can usually use the shards by themselves to make cores of the elements, making Elemental Cores. But you can also find special combinations that will give special effects, such as Quake and Wave elemental stones making Poison Effect Cores, or increasing stats depending on the stones, such as Flame and Quake giving an attack boost. The kind of core it makes will also depend on the type of Attack or Defense stone used, but that's yet to be implimented in this build.

Finally, you equip them onto the weapon of choice, changing it in certain ways depending on the core. It ends up gaining an element, status effect, and/or stat increases depending on the kind. This will make grinding double rewarding, because as your gaining EXP, you'll also be gaining resources to make new Cores.

Armor has their own setup. While weapons give elemental properties and status effects, armor will defend against those. The kind of core you get will depend on whether you used Attack, or Defense stones in the crafting. This is simply a rough draft of the system as well, so it may change down the road depending on feed back.

(Originally posted in wrong thread. I a dumb. ~n~)

esterk

Lovable Rogue
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you like "kill x sidequest" or "get item a"? or you want something unique?
In most RPGs, these quests are unavoidable. Most quests boil down to these elements - go retrieve the mystic artifact, go slay the big monster at the temple, kill the goblins attacking the town, etc. Realistically, there aren't a lot of variety to quests in RPGs, but it's all about how you dress it up. How well can you make the player care about the quest and make it feel less tedious?

The players need motivations and need it to feel integral to some story elements, rather than a farmer that just says 'hey there been bears attackin' me chickens, kill em fer me.' Instead, maybe the bears are being possessed by the big bad that the players have been hunting down, and by taking down the bears, they will get more information towards his location. It's still a 'kill X things' quest, but it has more context now that drive the players to doing it, and it feels less monotonous and cliche.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Hi; I wanted to open up a tread to test an idea of mine that came up in a dream and I really wanted to develop it and get the pros and cons about it but since I do not have a title yet for a game or screenshots to obey the rules to abide to the format allowing to open up a new tread I type this here;

Here it is;
I am inspired a lot by PnP TT RPGs one of them would be the Tristats from BESM not higher than 2nd edition with mix of Fallout SPECIAL game mechanic and FUDGE (I would leave Amber away for RPGMaker) but going that way, I woke up today inspired with one idea. Since I usually develop all my RPing on paper for the maps first whatever the format of my games, I thought about that look and my spaceship ideas for a DLC some day. The idea is the following; the PCs explore maps that in their tracks leaves dice rolls markers. If the players decide their characters gets to the dice rolls markers, they rolls dices to trigger an event or do a save throw and doing so also change the marker with their result.

I kinda played a bit with it in my dream but I know it means a non-story heavy game and one more oriented with character and game statistics to be interesting as also graphics would be more involved to make the game interesting. Also, it got to a point to me that I would maybe have to think to put a panel on the right side of the screen to scroll in place each times rolls were made with consistent animations to portray the results and maybe also access the character sheet/inventory. So, I know that deviates a wee bit of how we usually get the menus in the game.

With that in mind, knowing that rather than solving my troubles by programming and plug-ins and I never used a plug-in in my life in RPGMaker, what are your thought on this?

I want to know about interest factor here, feasibility, what it would take, the amount of layers and hours I would had to pull up just for that simple game mechanic.

Would it be too odd to had a feel of Dragon or Casus Belli strategy magazine type game map look?
Would it add to curiosity? Mystery?
Would if feel more intimate type of game play for the player as per opposite as epic?
Those out there who are scripters or plug-in users, what kinda nightmarish obstacles I should keep in mind while considering this type of game play?
If you had the graphic skills to pull it up, would you do it? and why/how?
And what would be the most important steps to start with in order? (as I already know that if we start the game first then have to inject mechanics in it mid-way it is way harder than start by mechanics first and let it carry the story/game) ?

So... hope my first open to debate creative post just falls the right place in the right format here! I usually really keep quiet and secretive about my creative experiments and don't bother anyone. But since the time I am here, I thought I could start something up aside from spriting!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LightDiviner I've moved your post here, as we ask threads have at least two of the listed elements in order to be it's own topic.

kaisielizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks to multiple Yanfly plugins, I have made a system of advancement for weapons in my game that I have called, "The Power Core System." I'm sure something similar has already been done but I wouldn't know about it, so I still kinda came up with it on my own. XD Anyway, let's get into the nitty gritty.

First, let's talk about the basics. To start with it, you're gonna have to defeat enemies. Every enemy in my game is gonna have an element associated with it. Even ones that don't, which will be considered "Neutral" elemental. All monsters drop a resources associated with their element, and in 3 different kinds. Shards, the most common, usually dropped by common and weak monsters, Gems, a rarer kind, dropped by uncommon and stronger monsters, and Crystals, the rarest kind, dropped by the strongest and rarest monsters. There's also Attack and Defense ones, which will be buyable and stores. After you've gained enough, you move on to crafting with them.

You can usually use the shards by themselves to make cores of the elements, making Elemental Cores. But you can also find special combinations that will give special effects, such as Quake and Wave elemental stones making Poison Effect Cores, or increasing stats depending on the stones, such as Flame and Quake giving an attack boost. The kind of core it makes will also depend on the type of Attack or Defense stone used, but that's yet to be implimented in this build.

Finally, you equip them onto the weapon of choice, changing it in certain ways depending on the core. It ends up gaining an element, status effect, and/or stat increases depending on the kind. This will make grinding double rewarding, because as your gaining EXP, you'll also be gaining resources to make new Cores.

Armor has their own setup. While weapons give elemental properties and status effects, armor will defend against those. The kind of core you get will depend on whether you used Attack, or Defense stones in the crafting. This is simply a rough draft of the system as well, so it may change down the road depending on feed back.

(Originally posted in wrong thread. I a dumb. ~n~)
I think that system is really cool! And I know how much work that must be taking! Kudos~ I have some more thoughts:

I really like that can equip the cores to equipment (and I'm assuming unequip them as well) - it gives less permenance (and therefore less stress) than something like Final Fantasy X where weapon customizing was permenant. I do have some criticisms, though. It seems pretty complex, and I worry that it might be overwhelming to someone who is playing your game for the first time. Also, since you can equip and unequip the cores, wouldn't you eventually not need them anymore? Like you would get an excess of them after a while. Just some things to think about!

LightDiviner

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I think that system is really cool! And I know how much work that must be taking! Kudos~ I have some more thoughts:

I really like that can equip the cores to equipment (and I'm assuming unequip them as well) - it gives less permenance (and therefore less stress) than something like Final Fantasy X where weapon customizing was permenant. I do have some criticisms, though. It seems pretty complex, and I worry that it might be overwhelming to someone who is playing your game for the first time. Also, since you can equip and unequip the cores, wouldn't you eventually not need them anymore? Like you would get an excess of them after a while. Just some things to think about!
That is where another thing I have in mind is. My game has different kinds of weapons, swords, staffs, bows, etc, but each of those has different sub-classes of weapons. For instance, my swords will have the sub types, Long Swords, Katanas, Great Swords, and Short Swords. Longswords are average types, jack of all trades. Katanas are faster then normal, but slightly less attack power. Great swords are stronger, but slower, and don't allow shields. Short Swords boost your defense when equiped, but are the least powerful. This will make getting different cores for each weapon make them easily changeable, making the perfect equipment for any situation.

kaisielizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That is where another thing I have in mind is. My game has different kinds of weapons, swords, staffs, bows, etc, but each of those has different sub-classes of weapons. For instance, my swords will have the sub types, Long Swords, Katanas, Great Swords, and Short Swords. Longswords are average types, jack of all trades. Katanas are faster then normal, but slightly less attack power. Great swords are stronger, but slower, and don't allow shields. Short Swords boost your defense when equiped, but are the least powerful. This will make getting different cores for each weapon make them easily changeable, making the perfect equipment for any situation.
Ok! I just hope it's not too much menu accessing and stuff. That could get tedious.

LightDiviner

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Ok! I just hope it's not too much menu accessing and stuff. That could get tedious.
Shouldn't be TOO menu heavy. Only when you need to change weapons in preparation for something, or using the shards to make cores.

bhindi1224

NOT Indian Okra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not entirely sure where I should post this request, so let's hope this is the right place. I am seeking help to create some writing work for my two nieces. We've loosely decided that we're making a game and I need a good format for creating NPC's and Enemies. I've tried searching for character sheets and other things but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Most of the stuff I find is for pen and paper D&D player sheets. While we definitely need to organize what's going on inside the game, it's the actual writing practice that's important to me.

What I'm wanting specifically is a form or a document that I can give to them so that they can write all the information pertaining to the characters like background, general physical description, etc. Giving them a large free-form area to write in doesn't seem to get them motivated and I desperately need them to practice. Having short(ish) fields that they can fill in would be great. If anyone has a good resource site for this sort of thing I'd appreciate it.

bhindi1224

NOT Indian Okra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I have done is use a character form (this for example) and then remove the questions that I find unnecessary and add a few that are specific to my game. For example, I removed a lot of the physical appearance stuff and added things like Title/Class etc.
This is a big help. I can see some similarities in these questions with what the girls have seen in Undertale. One of them absolutely loves that game. This will make it easier because I can tell her we're making characters like that. Anyways, thanks for the link, I'll definitely try to adapt it to what I'm looking for!

Maximum7

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I am making a game where each future invention gives you 5 points. Once you accumulate to 100, you win. Each 5 points unlocks a new invention.

Here's what I have so far

+5 James Webb Space Telescope
+10 Quantum computer
+15 Fusion reactor
+20 Fusion rocket

Does anybody have any cool, creative invention ideas for +25 to +100? I'm looking for out of the box stuff. Everything that I have is too generic.
Also if you could, could you arrange it like I did in a vertical list with the plus sign and the number. Thanks

P.S. I chose this forum because game development seems to have little traffic.

kaisielizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
+25 Hover Bike
+30 Space Elevator
+90 Alcubierre Drive
+95 Dyson Sphere
+100 Universe Simulation Machine

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should choose a forum because the question you are asking belongs there, not because it has little traffic.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Maximum7 General Discussion is not about feedback for individual games. This should be in 'Ideas and Prototypes'.
[mod]Merging this with Ideas that don't deserve their own thread[/mod]

Katasu

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello people. I'm looking for feed back on if you think this would be a good start to a story I'm writing for my game. Well here it is:

From sheer nothingness a quick jolt of light flashed into my eyes. Slowly the return of my senses flooded back to my body. Moments were finally a sensation I could perceive again. My eyelids shuttered open but how? I had died. Darkness enshrouded my casket; the faint velvet lining of which being all I could see. My mind began to race as the circulation of blood began to course through my brain. The palpitation of my heart bombarded my eardrums. I was alive once more!

The casket door flew open welcoming back to the world of the living. As my sight adjusted to the new, yet familiar, hue of sunset the image of a man’s face came into focus. “Look, get up already! We need to get going.” the voice echoed to me. I had no idea or this man could be. Why and how had I been returned to the living? I was completely confused and yet this stranger was already barking orders.

My mouth opened, the tingling of vocal cords vibrated inside my throat and I heard my voice for, what felt like, the first time “Who are you? What’s going on?” A smirk quickly appeared on the man’s face before he responded, “Well my name’s Meiji and I’m a Necromancer. I’m the one responsible for your soul’s return to your body and for your body being reverted back to prime condition. In other words you owe your life to me. I replied back, “But why me? Does this mean I’m a zombie!?” Meiji couldn’t help but snicker as I blurted out the last question. “Why you? No real reason, you just got lucky I guess. As for being a zombie…” he pondered a minute before continuing “Your sort of an undead in a sense, but not a zombie. You’ve been returned fully human. You’ll live as you normally would have.” His explanation was finished by him reaching into the casket and helping me out.

My vista filled with snowy mountains and tombstones of the dead. The cold of snowflakes danced on the surface of my skin, slowly making its way to my bones. “Well let’s go! We’ve got some things to do.” Meiji ordered as he began to take his leave from the cemetery. I hesitantly followed “What do you mean we?” In response to my question, “Like I said WE’VE got things to do. You think I revived you for nothing. The whole reason you’re alive right now is because I needed assistance. You owe me your life so you will help me right?” Was I to be Meiji’s slave? I am indebted to him but I want to live my own life, the life I never got to enjoy. Am I really to only follow his command? Is this the extent of my new life? “What if I refuse?” I stuttered out. Meiji turned back to face me and answered, “Well I’d have to kill you. But I really don’t want to do that. You’re the first person I’ve actually revived so I’d like for you to live your life on out.” I interjected “ How am I to do that if I’m your slave!?” Meiji looked stunned, as if I offended him, “You’re not my slave! I just request you pay me back. Just help me with my quest and you're free to do as you please.” The chilly wind cut between us. The icy coldness sliced against my body as I culminated my response. “Alright… Seems like a fair trade. Another chance at life in exchange for helping you complete your task right? So what is that anyways?” Meiji turned back to the exist of the cemetery before muttering “Just come on. I’ll let you know when we’ve done it.”

bhindi1224

NOT Indian Okra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure if this is the right place, but I have some questions that I need answered. First, and most importantly, what kind of vehicle/animal would a slime ride to get around? Secondly what type of attacks and magic would a slime use? Thirdly, what types of equipment might a slime use while wandering around. I've been instructed that the hero of my new game will have to be a slime, so I'm trying to find some good ideas for those things.

Orpheus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For a game with focus on Alchemy, would you (as the player) enjoy elements more based on fictional Alchemy (mixing fictional objects for crafting, Transmutation in the likeness of Fullmetal Alchemist, etc.) with more similarities to magic and appear to be closer to the Atelier series?

OR

Elements based on more real-life aspects of Alchemy (with elements like Sulfur, Iron, Lead, etc.) and take a more scientific approach to things, using the materials/elements to incur reactions from enemies, weapons, environments, etc. (heck, even a scientific way to make FMA's Transmutation possible, within the context of the story/game)?

arekpowalan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have recently come back to try to write a story. And I just got very rusty. I want some suggestion on how to create and develop story and characters for an adventure RPG game. I want to make sure I get the story right before I dwell into the game mechanics.

Nadia Adventure
The world of Nadia is a light-fantasy inspired world filled with adventurers and explorers who are driven both by personal ambitions and innate goodness of their hearts. Among of its most notable aspect of the world's civilization is the social fraction known as Guild Team, a group of travellers and hunters banding together to commit themselves to social businesses and go on many adventures. Many heroes, scholars, and warriors have their roots in being a part of guild team.

Among these adventurers is the group called Dragonmeisters, who over 500 years ago rose up as the world's strongest guild teams of all. The tales of Dragonmeisters are legendary, as they dwelled into the most sophisicated stories and most exciting adventurers known to men. One of the most fascinating stories is the romantic story of the team leader, Arthur, and a young girl named Nadia, who is believed to be the reincarnation of the Goddess. Their love story led to the team's epic battle against a monster called the Dark Dragon, known to be the supreme corruptor that once tried to destroy the world.

With the success of Arthur and his comrades, the world entered its Golden Age of Adventurers, where countless people started their careers as guild teams in seeking of successes in life. Over 500 years passed, guild teams became more complex and more competitive. Many new talents are recruited and made into quest hunters, who seek journeys and push the bounderies of the adventurers to become the best in their own right. However, with the glowing complexity of the guild team business, many people find something has become lost in time.

As time goes on, the story of guild teams and their heroic quests continued and then turned into the new page as the new threat soon befalls the world.

Being deeply fascinated by the stories of Dragonmeisters, a young orphan William Powalan seeks to become a hunter and goes on an adventure of his life. Unfortunately for him, he has trouble becoming one. His adopted family, while happy, is poor and cannot afford him higher education. He is significantly shorter than other people, he is far from being the most talented fighter alive, and he hasn't been able to get recognition from the big league. As he struggles the harsh years of his insignifant teen, the 18 years old Will is called upon by the orphange caretaker to go to Eplis, the origin country of the Dragonmeisters, where he once again tries his luck to get a hunter licence.

Arriving at Eplis, Will enrolls in the local test to be accepted as an adventurer. However, he fails once again because he spents his valuable test time rescuing a fellow test candidate, Ellen Ellen, from being attacked by a monster. Depressed of not being able to achieve his dream, Will tries to go back home, only to be stoped by a woman named Rudia Bransford, an experienced adventurer who admires Will's action of saving Ellen's life. She recruits him into a Guild Team named Blue Stars, created to round up the Guild rejects and establish its own brand of adventurers. As the official reject, however, the team has to make their way from the bottom of the ranks.

After months of intense trainings, Will, Ellen, and Rudia begin their journey to become the best guild team in Eplis. However, this humble start soon spirals into a series of quests involving the Shadow Clan, the group of assassins and necromancers worshipping Dark Dragon and trying to resurrect the monster. With an intent to stop the Shadow Clan, Blue Stars travels the world seeking help from other guild teams as they recruit more talents and goes up against the evil threats. Together, they learn more about themselves and the meaning of becoming true adventurers.

1. Will Powalan
An unlucky but highly passionate adventurer wannabe. He dreams of becoming the best adventurer in the world, but become disappointed due to his constant failures. Despite being self-loathing to a degree, he acts very energetic and never want to give up to anything.

Personality wise, he is very passionate about adventuring, but he can also be pretty deadpan to whatever weird things happening around him. Overall, he is honest, adorkable, and have a tendency to help other people in need due to his own experiences as a social loser.

Gameplay wise, Will is the weakest character at first, but is discovered later to have a great potential to become the strongest. He also uses various swordarts and fire magics.

2. Rudia Bransford
An adventurer fanatic, Rudia is believed to be a prodigy due to her training in combat and being successful quest hunter since childhood. Rudia graduated from the high-end guild academy and immediately led a guild team Galeforce Flash to a success. However, due to an activity of the Shadow Clan, she lost her fiancé and failed an important quest. Ashamed of herself, she resigned and went into inclusion for a few years. She returns to guild league but becomes unsatisfied with the type of team Galeforce Flash has become without her guidience. She decides to start things anew as she sees the shade of her cheerly childhood inside Will.

Personality wise, Rudia can be level headed and serious due to her bad experiences. She can also be hot-tempered and easily annoyed by Will's stupidity. However, she cares deeply about him and other people she comes across. She is also very passionate about adventuring, and actively utilize her wits and salty comments to overcome her opponents

Gameplay wise, Rudia uses martial arts and earth magics. She starts off physically strong, but functions better as a supporter later on with better attackers joining the team.

3. Ellen Ellen
Rudia's best friend. Ellen is a simple village girl who wants to make her friends happy. During her training as a cleric, she lived next door to Rudia and became inspired by her career. She quits her work as a sister and takes a test to become a hunter, and merely passes because of Will's sacrifice. She and Rudia then recruit Will into Blue Stars. While Rudia helps Will becoming a better fighter, Ellen becomes very close to him as friends.

Personality wise, Ellen is kind, compassionate, and is friendly toward children. Despite her optimistic personality, she is known to have a poor self-esteem. As an adventurer, she tries her best to not be a burden of other people. Especially, she thinks of herself as a second fiddle to Rudia. Because of Rudia's tragedy, she find herself a constant need to support her no matter what.

Gameplay wise, Ellen is a primary healer. She uses staff and water magic.

The plot and setting are largely inspired by old school adventure JRPGs, namely Lufia, Lunar, Grandia, and Atelier Iris. This means the story would be a hero's journey crossing with epic and romance stories. I want to create a story that can be light-hearted and comedic as possible but still have some substances to it. The story is based on the title "Nadia", which means "hope" in Slavic languages, referring to story would focusing about adventurers and guild existing as people who protect, give hope, and inspire other people. However, the advancement of the guild team has caused people to forget that aspect of the career, treating legends as old, forgotten relics instead of taking it to their hearts. That said, I want the story to be as character driven as possible, focusing on the growing romances between characters as well as their respective personal growths where people find a need to unite and use their abilities for the greater good.

This is where I struggle. As much as I feel that Lufia II and Lunar are masterpieces of JRPGs. Many people don't like humble hero just because he's good (read: Superman), and modern writers keep suggesting that people should somehows dislike stories where people are genuinely nice to each other. Many stories in 2010s, notably The Legend of Heroes series (which I believe to be the closest to Lunar in term of game mechanics) typically start with characters hating each other or looking down on one another. This makes the story seem intense since there are clear ideological struggles, but it quickly drives the plot into the anime melodrama and then becomes extremely preachy debates about its faux-cynicism and power of friendship that seem very forced.

Nadia Adventure has a fair share of cynicism and people can be very flawed in some categories. However, I don't want these flaws to completely overshadow the narrative or the characters. I want to create a feel-good story where anybody, especially kids, can read into and end up smiling as a result. The question is how and which approach should go into. If anybody can help, it would be highly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Meteo Chronicles is almost finished!
Always remember kids keep a copy of you email with your download code in it or you will never find it again in your email :kaocry:
Dragon quest IX just released a definitive edition that has a 2D top-down RPG mode for the entire game, AKA you can play the entire game as if it was made for super Nintendo, i WISH i didn't already buy the original version or else I would get this version to get some ideas for my game and honestly the story was tooooo boring for me to play again. Hmm I'm sure somebody will do a lets play in 2D mode on YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nazu