Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Greetings to everyone! I am new to this forum so please mention if any of my behavior is not well-mannered!
I just had an idea about a fantasy game which combines the elements of RPG and Dating Sim, and planned to make it with RPG Maker MV. Here's the quick synopsis:

I plan to implement a trait-based system which is similar to Ace Academy visual novel if any of you have played it, something like being able to do the following things when a dialogue/event happens :
  1. Play music at an inn for cash if the Bard trait is selected at the beginning of the game,
  2. Seduce a guard to get a key item if the Black Widow trait is selected at the beginning of the game, or
  3. Smash open a door if the player has obtained the Fitness Guy trait or Lockpick a door if the Thief trait was obtained instead of Fitness Guy
I also plan to add an affection point:kaoluv: system in which we can date one of the party members, provided that the affection point for a party member has reached a certain threshold! And maybe also unlock a few secret endings with that character with the highest affection point.
I expect that JavaScript programming will be needed in the making of this game. I have some experience on JavaScript but I don't know where to start if I'm going to tinker with the game mechanics. I have read some of the threads on the forum and found out one of the method to create a game mechanic is to create a plugin. Which leads to my questions:
  1. Is it possible to create the features which I mentioned above?
  2. Is it possible to hold a custom game state in something like an object or variables which increments throughout the game according to the dialogue choices we make, like the affection point I mentioned?
  3. Do I need to create a plugin to implement the features I mentioned above?
  4. Is there a console which I can dump the game's variables into, for debugging purposes?
Thank you very much! I'm really looking forward to make something cool with RPG Maker MV! :kaocry:
I don't know about number 4, but number 1-3 should be very easy. You don't need a plugin. You can do this with event switches. Basically, if the player chooses the Bard trait, make a "Bard" switch and set it to "ON." It remains on throughout the game, unless you make another event turn it off. Now, you just need to set Conditions at the beginning of events. For example, the player talks to the innkeeper. If "Bard" switch = ON, the innkeeper asks, "Would you like a room for the night, or would you like to play for my customers?" Else (if "Bard" switch is not on), the innkeeper simply says "Would you like a room for the night?"
About affection points, simply create a stat for it, then add points to the stat during events. Dialogue is always an event. If the player chooses the right answer in conversation, add points to the affection stat. After each point addition, have the event check the stats. For example, the player is talking to Jane and says, "I like your smile." This choice adds +1 to Jane's Affection stat. If Jane's Affection = 10, activate the switch "Jane Loves You" = ON, and Jane will love the player for the rest of the game. Like the Bard scenario, you can set future events to play out differently if the switch is on or off.
You can implement any level of complexity. For example, maybe the player doesn't choose the Fitness Guy skill at the beginning. Maybe they have to accumulate 10 Strength points (made just like Affection points) and then complete a Fitness Quest.
I recommend playing through the engine's tutorial, especially the part about conditional branches. It's a little time-consuming, but it should explain most of what you need to know.
Creating a visual novel style game with RM is very easy, and I'm honestly surprised more people haven't done it. I guess the name RPG Maker attracts people who want to make RPGs. Kadokawa also has a Visual Novel Maker that has gotten mixed reviews, but I think you can accomplish most of the same functions with RMMV.
If you aren't sticking to the RPG genre, you might need plugins to change the pause menu options. Somewhere in the forums is a Plugin Master list that can help.

Last edited:

Joshu4H

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Is there a console which I can dump the game's variables into, for debugging purposes?
Press the F9 key in-game and a debug menu will pop up. It has every switch and variable shown with their values.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Atoms thanks for the feedback I am currently working on a demo to test the system. I understand that system may be too much but I kind of see it as similar to the VATS system of fallout where you can have multiple enemies and either attack them directly or focus in with VATS to either disarm or disorient an enemy. I can see how having multiple enemies with multiple parts can be really long winded and after some time quite annoying which is why I had the idea that you can either attack an enemy directly ( like iron sights in fallout. ) or focus in on an enemy part to gain an advantage in battle ( like VATS. ).
As soon as I have a working demo of the system I'll throw up a link for those who are interested in trying the system out and giving more hands on feedback. That being said all opinions and thoughts on the system are being taken into consideration I don't want my battle system to just be a boring complicated idea.
@RhuneEmbah Sorry, I should be clearer. I don't think your system is too much, you have good ideas for what you want to do, it depends how the ideas/system is handled whether it becomes too much, I think this system can always work, so you've got something but it's how it's handled if it becomes too much or not.

Best of the luck creating a demo!

EuphemiaArtoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have a very small (maybe 10 minute duration) demo for a mechanic I've been working on called "Gossip". It's a rehash of the regular turn based combat system where instead of pounding your opponent's HP down to nothing, you're trying to build up a rapport with them until you can get them to spill the details on some juicy gossip.

Mechanically:
  • Enemies have a list of topics, like an inventory of items (using Yanfly's snatch script) which you can Inquire about.
  • They have a meter called "Candor". Higher candor increases your chance of successfully Inquiring.
  • Skills increase or decrease Candor based on effectiveness
  • Some enemies have statuses called Moods that alter their behaviour or vulnerability to skills
It's still pretty basic, and I'm quite keen on it as side content for a game, but I am a bit worried about being able to keep it fresh, with all the battles being one-on-one.

Any feedback is welcome.

Details on download are here:
PS I hope I've posted in the right place, I was going to post this on the project forum but I think this project is way too small compared to the impressive projects posted there.

Gabbypie64

Aster World Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How would it be the best way to make a party crafting steam in mv I think due to the number of creatures to craft it would be best a plug-in but could in prebult plugins due what I want?

Morizel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to share with the works of my friend that I tested. I'm not sure it’s worth creating a separate topic for them, because I don’t know how SFW they are.
I tested some of his plugins, BondageMovementSystem and Bondage Equipment. And even made demos with them.
BMS allows to hop and wriggle player characters.
Bondage Equipment can be used for kind of cursed equipment realization.
These plugins are there:
http://bastianfanworks.dreamchaos.net/downloads/BMSSV.js (SV addon for BMS)
Part of them I've used in my own projects.

DracoVanReign

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Signaler1.JPGSignaler2.JPGSignaler3.JPGSignaler4.JPGSignaler5.JPGSignaler6.JPGSignaler7.JPGSignaler8.JPGSignaler9.JPGSignaler10.JPGSignaler11.JPG
I've created something that calls allies to help you battle. It works well, but I just think that it could probably use some improvements. Let me know what you think.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DracoVanReign I have approved your post but I think this might be better in its own thread. It is rather more detailed than this thread can handle.

DracoVanReign

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DracoVanReign I have approved your post but I think this might be better in its own thread. It is rather more detailed than this thread can handle.
I had no idea. I was thinking that it wasn't really that significant.

Ok, so I don't end up screwing up again, what section would I put this under?

Last edited:

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just had a thought - are there many RPGs in which levelling-up only improves your character's stats, while new attacks or skills are tied to your equipment instead? I was considering not having level-ups at all, but that felt like going too far. :V

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Prez A lot of games have that system (skills and/or abilities on weapons). For example, the Final Fantasy tactics advance series follow that model.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Continuing on from that last idea, I've got some rough ideas for mechanics for my next (major) game idea I could do some with feedback on.

First of all, there's no level system at all. In lieu of this, you learn new skills by 'scanning' enemies with a particular item, and you gain a skill in some way inspired by that enemy. These skills are stored on... let's call them 'Drives'. You can have four Drives at any one time, and likewise you can only have four skills at any one time, Pokemon-style. However, you can get multiples of the same Drive by scanning an enemy you've already scanned, so if you choose to replace a skill it's not Lost Forever. I figured this would provide an incentive to engage low-level enemies when there's no EXP, and also add an element of customization and risk management, while also keeping the four party members distinct because some skills are exclusive to a particular party member.

However, that's not all - all but one of the four party members can equip weapons, and having a different weapon equipped can actually change the properties of some skills entirely, such as altering its range or changing it from a single-target attack to an AOE attack (combat uses a tactics system, so range is a key factor). This creates even more variance, and hopefully creates a degree of 'horizontal' progression as you switch up your weapons, not just vertical progression.

Switching up weapons is required, because most attacks have 'elements' attached to them - since it's a Sci-Fi setting, these 'elements' are themed around different types of projectile, with the three core 'elements' being Lasers, Plasma, and Ballistics, with some other less common 'exotic' elements here and there, such as Incendiary or Pulse. There's kind of an elemental rock-paper-scissors thing going on, because characters don't only have HP - they may also have AP (armour) and SP (shields), and each element has a different effectiveness against each 'life bar'. For example, Lasers are strong against AP but weak against SP, while Plasma is the opposite, and Ballistics do bonus damage against raw HP but are much weaker against AP and SP to compensate.

Forgive all of the 'words' in 'inverted commas', these are all very ad-hoc descriptions. :V

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is...I think the right place for this post...it's an idea about the Game Ideas forum that doesn't deserve its own thread, but not an idea about one of my games specifically. It's an idea for a thread in this forum that idk if it deserves it's own thread or not.

I hate coming up with wandering NPC dialogue for towns and cities and such. It is like the one kind of writing where my default status is blocked. So the idea I had was...what if we had a "take an NPC, leave an NPC" thread, basically a play on the "take a penny, leave a penny" tray you see at convenience stores (in the US, anyway). People with excess minor NPCs could share ones they're especially proud of (but not possessive of) and scrubs like me could cop some of the ones people have shared. Might be cool, right?

I didn't go ahead and just make that thread, I posted here ABOUT it instead because I honestly could not even think of a decent NPC I could spare just as an example to get the ball rolling, which made me feel like creating the thread would come off as self-serving (which, to a degree, I guess it is but I mean, there's a reason I'm in here asking you guys "would this be cool?").

Thanx,
- CrowStorm

P.S. It occurs to me that these forums are vast and ancient and that they may already have a thread a lot like the one I just described. If there is and you know about it, link me up!

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CrowStorm that definitely sounds cool to me. Trust me, you're not the only one facing this struggle. If you really feel like dusting off some ancient tomes, you can find my old page of "Failivrin's Freesources" in the MV Resources section. It has tons of NPC lines, both general and themed.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey people :D
I'm not sure if this is the right place but can somebody tell me the script call for
-setting passable(4dir)
-setting passable (if not just passable(4dir) in 4 directions
-setting star

If I'm wrong here could you tell me where I should go to?

nice but not so important are the
bush ladder counter

a plug in other than would do it, too.

CecilGP

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION IN-GAME.

Okay, so I kinda feel like doing some problem-solving here. Considering I have ZERO knowledge of JS or RGSS, I've been thinking of ways to do this via eventing.

I've thought about having a handful of generator resources mapped to a few on-screen options, but I'm starting to see a few problems with it as I think about it more.

So.. Thoughts?

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ohh... Joined the same day. Hey :D
What do you mean with character customization in Game
Changing something on your character?
Making it possible for the player?

The_switchify

I make games and things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a game where you move is a good idea

tekiro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I alredy did the single target and Aoe basics elements spells, in my game the elementist only uses ice,fire,thunder and earth spells, so anyone could give me some ideias of others spells beyond damaging spells, i alredy did a rock barrier spell that raises the user defense and low his
agility, but i out of ideias to new spells...

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ice Shield - Reflects magic
Earthen Grasp - Enemy cannot move
Volt/Prya/Cryo/Acid Blade - Change base weapon attack to said element
Cryo Burst - Lower enemy\s attack and agi
Plasma Bolt - fire/thunder attack that adds a burning state and a stunned stated.
Acidic Blood - Earthen State: enemies take damage when the player is attacked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Almost 5 am.. and I decide to put up a Youtube video instead of sleeping. It's strangely addicting! :kaoswt:
If I survive the pandemic without 2nd degree obesity, I'll celebrate. The stress I have to deal with at work is so insane my candy consumption has increased by 400% just to help me survive the day sometimes.
I don't like calling my daily stuff coronadailies... anyone a better suggestion?
Well, looks like I need to build myself a quest system. Or really just a system for "Helpful voices" to talk to the player. I'm sure nothing will go wrong listening to them.... They're "helpful". :LZSwink:

Should be pretty easy with PIXI just letting me write all over the screen. :LZSexcite:
I'm starting to think I just dont like anime since the last one I enjoyed was none of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bootlegtexas